GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS-F will arrive late 2011 as 2012 model (~500 HP)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
although with 460hp...if they're using carbon fiber/composites/fiber glass..or whatever other light material, wouldn't that mean that it would be much faster than it's 500hp counterparts? we're not hauling boats here. you could have an 8000hp car, but it weighs eleventy billion pounds with a 0-60 time of 7 minutes. maybe my thinking is off.
lol hauling boats you need tq more than hp

anyway, there are a lot of factors, and unfortunately public perception of hp is quite important. you are right that with say 460hp but extra light weight say 3300lb, yeah the car can be pretty quick. but first of all, i highly doubt the car will be that kind of light weight (i think it will still be close to 4000lb), and secondly there are some people who will just stab lexus for not having enough hp

look at the lfa, it has around 550hp and very light weight, and potentially promising performance. but just see how many people straight up putting a no on the car coz' it "only" has 550hp compared to other supercars.

the lfa is a halo car and lexus can afford to choose the audience, but if gsf goes into production, it competes with m5 and e63, you can use the word "common" and "popular" on those cars and lexus have to play the marketing smart
Old 01-22-10, 09:51 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol hauling boats you need tq more than hp

anyway, there are a lot of factors, and unfortunately public perception of hp is quite important. you are right that with say 460hp but extra light weight say 3300lb, yeah the car can be pretty quick. but first of all, i highly doubt the car will be that kind of light weight (i think it will still be close to 4000lb), and secondly there are some people who will just stab lexus for not having enough hp

look at the lfa, it has around 550hp and very light weight, and potentially promising performance. but just see how many people straight up putting a no on the car coz' it "only" has 550hp compared to other supercars.

the lfa is a halo car and lexus can afford to choose the audience, but if gsf goes into production, it competes with m5 and e63, you can use the word "common" and "popular" on those cars and lexus have to play the marketing smart
Look at the Lotus Elise, in the base model it has the same basic powertrain as a Matrix XRS (2ZZ 1.8L), not much horsepower but still pulls 0-60 times well under 5 seconds. But like you said, horsepower is what people measure things by and the average person doesn't even look at weight numbers and few seem to care about torque figures.

I find that horsepower in general, has a very limited applicability to real world driving. There needs to be a better metric. Horsepower relies on too many other factors to determine the performance of a car as it is, and the figures posted and touted are often only arrived at areas of the engine powerband that are rarely used.
Old 01-22-10, 10:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I have to say with the new 5 series looking as clean as it does and the reviews coming in so positively, the new GS has to be a knockout to take away market share. Since the is, es and rx are such high volume cars, I am afraid not enough effort is going to be put into the new GS
The 5 series is king, it will never lose serious market share. The only reason you might see them lose some is b/c they dropped the slow selling wagon this time around.

GS 350
GS 450h (limited production)
GS 460

vs

M5
(wagon previously)

The GS has nothing to fight the 528 and that model sells around 1,500 units a month by itself. The GS 350 fights the 535 head on.

With everyone lowering sales goals, I don't expect the next GS to sell 32k its first year like the model we have.
Old 01-22-10, 11:43 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From Motor Trend Feb 2010 issue:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on/future.html

....According to our source in Japan, the all-new Lexus GS, which is scheduled to appear in 2011, will use a wider platform that retains the 112.2-inch wheelbase but cuts around an inch of front overhang and adds about 1.3 inches of cabin height. Most surprising, though, will be the changes under hood. Lexus will drop the present 4.6-liter V-8 in favor of a base 2.5-liter V-6 and a topline 3.5-liter V-6. Later in the lifecycle a 2.5-liter hybrid will join the lineup, as will the much-rumored GS F. Employing carbon-fiber body parts and the IS F's 5.0 liter V-8, but with strategic modifications to the ECU and exhaust, the GS F will put out over 460 horsepower. The most impressive piece of new technology, though, will be the F's torque-split rear differential, which is similar to the units used in Acura's SH-AWD and Mitsubishi's AYC. The big difference, though, is the GS F will be rear drive.
Old 01-23-10, 12:21 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by memasterac

....According to our source in Japan, the all-new Lexus GS, which is scheduled to appear in 2011, will use a wider platform that retains the 112.2-inch wheelbase but cuts around an inch of front overhang and adds about 1.3 inches of cabin height. Most surprising, though, will be the changes under hood. Lexus will drop the present 4.6-liter V-8 in favor of a base 2.5-liter V-6 and a topline 3.5-liter V-6. Later in the lifecycle a 2.5-liter hybrid will join the lineup, as will the much-rumored GS F. Employing carbon-fiber body parts and the IS F's 5.0 liter V-8, but with strategic modifications to the ECU and exhaust, the GS F will put out over 460 horsepower. The most impressive piece of new technology, though, will be the F's torque-split rear differential, which is similar to the units used in Acura's SH-AWD and Mitsubishi's AYC. The big difference, though, is the GS F will be rear drive.
Pretty sure that this has already been posted in this thread.

I would like to see a GS250 come out, if only so I don't have the weakest engine late model GS any more.
Old 01-23-10, 11:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Look at the Lotus Elise, in the base model it has the same basic powertrain as a Matrix XRS (2ZZ 1.8L), not much horsepower but still pulls 0-60 times well under 5 seconds. But like you said, horsepower is what people measure things by and the average person doesn't even look at weight numbers and few seem to care about torque figures.

I find that horsepower in general, has a very limited applicability to real world driving. There needs to be a better metric. Horsepower relies on too many other factors to determine the performance of a car as it is, and the figures posted and touted are often only arrived at areas of the engine powerband that are rarely used.
i completely agree, hp is hardly everything, it's only a small part of the equation. but then it's hard for general public to really understand it i guess
Old 01-24-10, 07:46 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by memasterac

If that's true, my next car will be BMW or Infiniti. Although I don't know why they drop the V8 equivalent hybrid. If anything they ought to launch a new 450H.
Old 02-03-10, 06:09 AM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M56 is badass... i saw them the other day and sat in it... its so great that i work at Infiniti..