GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Raped again by the dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 10:19 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since when are Lexus parts expensive? Most of them are sourced from Toyota cars.

And besides, if you want cheap service, go to a Toyota dealership. They're the ones that work on my IS F, and an oil change there is $49.95 with Eneos synthetic and OEM Lexus filter. They have all of the service manuals and do as good if not better of a job than the technicians at the Lexus dealer, for about half the price.
Old 12-11-09, 10:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
lol henry, you always crack me up.. hah, remember my e46 was 2001, it only covered up to 36k for free maintenance, and i was referring to the 10k interval oil services after that =)

5k = oil change
10k = oil services as they would like to call it

b7 is definitely a thing of its own and M cars have always been on the pricier sides, again, non ballers like us wouldn't have to worry about that =)
haha you know i always love to tease you kevin

but yes, i am definitely not brave enough to own any of the euro after warranty. i won't go as far as saying they are all crap, but they are hit and miss. you get a good car, it goes a long way, you get a problematic one, you will want to stab yourself. too much risk to me

Originally Posted by The G Man
Or when Jiffy lube forgot to use a gasket for the oil filter or when they double gasket it. They also do not change the crush washer on the drain bolt like they are suppose to and I sure they don’t use Lexus oil filters. There are a few web sites that are dedicated just for car owners that had issues with Jiffy Lube, that itself should mean something.

I find the cost for Preventative maintenance between German and Japanese car to be about the same, with the German cars, the maint. interval is longer so its actually cheaper. Even if we are talking about corrective maintenance, Lexus parts are not exactly cheap, the difference is Lexus usually don’t break down as much.
yeah i actually know people who went to jiffy lube, came home and noticed that the oil cap in the engine bay was missing. and then someone posted saying the filter was not screwed in tight and oil spilled everywhere....
Old 12-11-09, 11:28 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Since when are Lexus parts expensive? Most of them are sourced from Toyota cars.

And besides, if you want cheap service, go to a Toyota dealership. They're the ones that work on my IS F, and an oil change there is $49.95 with Eneos synthetic and OEM Lexus filter. They have all of the service manuals and do as good if not better of a job than the technicians at the Lexus dealer, for about half the price.
i still cant believe some of the prices people pay for oil changes at lexus. i pay just about the same as what toyota charges when i take my car to the lexus dealer. i guess price is based on each dealer.
Old 12-11-09, 11:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
haha you know i always love to tease you kevin

but yes, i am definitely not brave enough to own any of the euro after warranty. i won't go as far as saying they are all crap, but they are hit and miss. you get a good car, it goes a long way, you get a problematic one, you will want to stab yourself. too much risk to me

yeah i actually know people who went to jiffy lube, came home and noticed that the oil cap in the engine bay was missing. and then someone posted saying the filter was not screwed in tight and oil spilled everywhere....
A friend of mine bought his old Honda CR-X to Jiffy Lube a long time years ago. They somehow put 2 gaskets on the oil filter and when he drove home on the highway, there was oil everywhere behind him. Long story short, he had to tow it to the dealer and the Jiffy Lube guys would not paid because they said he should have had it repair at Jiffy Lube.
If you think about the qualifications to be a Jiffy Lube oil changer, there is none, you dont even need a high school degree. I think its on the job training, no degree or technical certificates require. I dont know how some people can trust these high school kids with their $50000 foreign cars.
Old 12-11-09, 11:30 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

my car is only serviced at the Lexus dealership. IF you can afford a car like this then the maintenance should be no issue. I still think its hilarious that people spend so much time trying to save 50 bucks here and there after dropping 50-60k on a car. Get it done the right way at the right place imho. To each his own but I dont want issues with service and if there is I want all of the work guaranteed by the dealership and even better by Lexus corporate. I bet if they screwed the car up at a Toyota dealership Lexus would tell you to go F yourself.
Old 12-11-09, 11:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

A friend of mine bought his old Honda CR-X to Jiffy Lube a long time years ago. They somehow put 2 gaskets on the oil filter and when he drove home on the highway, there was oil everywhere behind him. Long story short, he had to tow it to the dealer and the Jiffy Lube guys would not paid because they said he should have had it repair at Jiffy Lube.
If you think about the qualifications to be a Jiffy Lube oil changer, there is none, you dont even need a high school degree. I think its on the job training, no degree or technical certificates require. I dont know how some people can trust these high school kids with their $50000 foreign cars.
no kidding, seeing how those people work, a lot of times they seem to use your car as training, if at all
Old 12-11-09, 11:48 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
i still cant believe some of the prices people pay for oil changes at lexus. i pay just about the same as what toyota charges when i take my car to the lexus dealer. i guess price is based on each dealer.
I'm in Canada, **** is always more expensive here regardless.
Old 12-11-09, 12:43 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don t get me wrong i know about jiffy lubes horror stories but im not an idiot i am probrably one of the most particular people out there when it comes to my car I recheck oil level and if they didn t put the gaskets on correctly im pretty sure that there would be an oil spot on my driveway. the same guy has done it 6 or 7 times with no issue along with my maxima and my f150 every time they need it. I refuse to pay $90 for a citgo brand oil change from lexus. I also doubt that lexus pays certified mechanics to sit back there and do oil changes all day
Old 12-11-09, 01:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

$90???????????? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. j/k

I have this feeling that people are really stretching themselves financially to get into these cars. $90 shouldn't make a Lexus owner flinch. Honda yes....Lexus no. Remeber guys that Jiffy lube or whoever will not have training on your car, no Lexus loaner given, no car wash, and wasted time sitting in a waiting room.

$50 oil change
$29 car rental/for the day
$19 works car wash
-----------------------
$98 total

congratulations you just spent 8 dollars more for the same thing. Remeber that the Lexus tech will inspect other things and check things you are not even aware of. Lets stop being penny wise ands dollar foolish. Just my 2 cents. ( To each his own but there is more value in a dealership experience than just the $90 oil change)

Remember ...if the service bothers you go buy a Honda or even a Chevy. They do oil changes at those dealerships in AZ for $19.99. In the end it depends on what each owner is comfortable with. what confuses me is how are you comfortable with a Lexus payment but uncomfortable with the cheapest service they offer.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-11-09 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-11-09, 01:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

very very well said. They have qualifications or technical training. **** they probably dont even drug test. I dont want some tweaker ,who has been up for the last 4 days, changing my oil.
Old 12-11-09, 03:44 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off I don t let anyone wash my car, don t need a rental because im onlythere for 15-20 mins and the dealer uses ****ty oil, Its not that i can t afford the $90 its the fact that i can pay $75 and have synthetic put in my car so why not we are talking and oil change not replacing the timing chain. And no offense I8ABMR i see how clean your paint is why would risk letting some teenage kid wipe your car down with dirty terry towels? I use a fresh microfiber after every wash and make sure it doesnt touch the ground or scratch my car!!! Oh and you can now get a degree from high school!!Wow

Last edited by lkapimp216; 12-11-09 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-11-09, 07:05 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

just try to do some 'basic' maintenace yourself, like oil change and brake pads and stuff. i personally think 3rd gs is one of the easiest cars you can maintain, and this forum provides all the guidance and tips you need. it's not a rocket science, and this basic skill will last for lifetime.. nothing wrong with saving some $$..
Old 12-11-09, 07:21 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I go in for an oil change to my local lexus dealer I always check their website for service coupon specials.. My dealer runs a 39.95 coupon every month for oil changes.

http://www.lexusoffortmyers.com/MiscPage_2

try your dealers
website maybe they have the same thing.
Old 12-11-09, 07:35 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hahahaha why are we still talkin about oil change?....i tell u guys little secret to save big money at your dealership...go to the your local lexus dealership site, find service section and u will likely find service special coupons....my dealer always have oil change coupons for 19.99...not a big coupon type of guy but cant beat 20 dollar oil change at the dealership...
Old 12-11-09, 07:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think you have reached the best option. Get a deal at the dealership

Quick Reply: Raped again by the dealer!