GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

ipod integration kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 11:46 PM
Lidless
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod integration kit

Don't try the DICE. Basically, you can't see the playlists. name of artist / song etc.

Here's a help thread from a supplier as I tried to get one up and running.

Thursday, October 8 2009 10:13am
Lexus GS300 - 2009

I've had the garage install the ipod, but there is no onscreen display, and no list of songs, artists etc.

It's hooked into the CD changer and I've selected disc 5, song 1. All it does is to play the current song.

If I press down the seek button, it forward fasts to the next song.

If I just press the seek button quickly, it gives no song on track 2 (it thinks it's playing something because the time counter increases, but nothing's being played). When I press seek again I get track 3, which was the first song again. Even numbers are blank, odd numbers are the main song.

Thus no way to choose playlists and / or songs.

For the DVD changer, where (6) CDs can be put in, it happily displays song and album titles and track numbers. All the CD changer shows are large buttons for CDs 1-6, and at the top of the screen just a Track number and time elapsed.

Help!!!

Steve

Order: 514253

Alan (Thursday, October 8 2009 3:16pm)
Hi,

The reason for this is because the kit is in iPod Mode, you need to change the mode to stereo mode. Press CD 6, Track 4, then press and hold FF (or double press FF, varies from radio top radio).

This will put the kit into Stereo mode.

Friday, October 9 2009 11:22am
I did as you suggested - Disc 6, Track 4, FF. All it did was to forward fast the track! Am I supposed to switch something off for a bit as well? Have scan on, D.scan on at the time?

*Very confused and frustrated*

Steve

Dave (Friday, October 9 2009 12:25pm)
Hi Steve,

have you read the manual on how to control the kit?

Its all explained in there.

Disc 6 is your menu.

Once in the menu, Disc 1-6 are your modes.

Once a mode has been selected, press FF or hold FF (Or next track if you have one) as this is your "select" button.

Friday, October 9 2009 2:39pm
Nowhere in the manual does it mention anything about Disc 6. And yes, I have read the manual!

My screen is exactly as per the diagram on P19 - Controls in MP3 emulation - only it's the CD changer, not MP3. The other difference is that there is no folder or file display as per your drawing.

I press Disc 6, select Track 4, keep my finger on the FF button (Seek Track), and all it does is to forward-fast the song. The display does not change and I have no real control of playlists.

Dave (Friday, October 9 2009 3:52pm)
Hi,

There must be another select button in that case instead of the FF button.

Do you have an enter or select button?

Sunday, October 11 2009 1:27am
Am I right in thinking then that when I switch from the radio to the ipod screen (which shows just discs 1-6), I should select 6 to get to a menu (which is just the same screen showing the selection of discs 1-6), then press CD 6, Track 4, FF?

Dave (Monday, October 12 2009 10:28am)
Hi,

Thats incorrect, sorry,.

You need to press CD6 which is the menu. Then select CD4 (or track 4) Then select FF.
Tuesday, October 13 2009 6:25am
As you can read above, nothing happens. I cannot see artist, song, playlist etc.

The CDs are shown on the screen as six circles across the middle. When I press CD6, it changes to CD6 put the screen remains the same. When I select Track 4, and then FF, all it does is fast forward the track. There is no enter button.

Car: Lexus GS300 with sat nav.
Ipod: ipod Touch, latest version

Very close to giving this back now.

Dave (Tuesday, October 13 2009 9:02am)
Hi,

You wont see any artist, song or playlist. This is a limitation of your car stereo. Its like a ghost menu. (my bolding)

This is purely user operation.

You simply need to find the "select" button. Start over and press CD 6, then press CD3, then try any button on the stereo. Repeat the process until you find the select button.

Wednesday, October 14 2009 6:33am
The Silverline Pro is advertised as being fully compatible with the Lexus, and to be able to show the lists.

Wait until the messageboards read this...
Old 10-14-09, 01:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

this is as confusing as i can imagine, i can't even follow what to do. so in the end you can't show the song details?

what year is your gs? 2006? 2007+? 2006 is gen4 and i know it can have some limits. just like vaistech, on the 07+ it can show all the song details, etc... but on 06 it's more limiting
Old 10-14-09, 04:00 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The VAIS unit shows song details on the Gen 4 nav, it just doesn't let you select based on artist, album, or genre. "disc" selection is limited to playlists. I think the number of playlists is limited to 99 in the mode I'm using in my '06 GS430. I generally listen to music by album, so I named all my playlists "Artist - Album" and have the Text displaying the playlist name in the first line and the Track name in the second line.

As an example, on mine it appears as:

Ben Harper - Burn To Shine
Alone

I could bulk rename my tracks to include the track number, which would make it a little better, but screw up how I use the music at home.

I'm using a 16GB iPod Nano and all my music is ripped at 320k. The iPod and the number of playlists I'm using are about maxed out. 100 albums has been plenty for me thus far since I also have the VAIS XM unit installed.

Last edited by twylie; 10-14-09 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-14-09, 07:41 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VAIStech ftw!

Wow..that's pretty crappy CS! Return the unit and get a VAIS.
Old 10-14-09, 08:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by twylie
The VAIS unit shows song details on the Gen 4 nav, it just doesn't let you select based on artist, album, or genre. "disc" selection is limited to playlists. I think the number of playlists is limited to 99 in the mode I'm using in my '06 GS430. I generally listen to music by album, so I named all my playlists "Artist - Album" and have the Text displaying the playlist name in the first line and the Track name in the second line.

As an example, on mine it appears as:

Ben Harper - Burn To Shine
Alone

I could bulk rename my tracks to include the track number, which would make it a little better, but screw up how I use the music at home.

I'm using a 16GB iPod Nano and all my music is ripped at 320k. The iPod and the number of playlists I'm using are about maxed out. 100 albums has been plenty for me thus far since I also have the VAIS XM unit installed.
very neat trick indeed, great info there!

but yeah, vaistech is so much better
Old 10-14-09, 11:35 PM
Lidless
Driver School Candidate

Any ideas on the official Lexus ipod integration kit? There's not a lot of literature around and I've no idea if it displays and navigates well.

PS - the Lexus is almost a month-old now.
Old 10-15-09, 01:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

if you are considering the lexus oem kit, seriously, consider the vaistech. my friend has the oem kit and i have the vaistech and we compared with each other. vaistech displays more information, less limitation (playlist, etc...), and more flexible. my friend said if he knew he would have gotten the vaistech
Old 10-15-09, 08:12 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't personally have experience with the OEM kit but I do have a vaistech unit and absolutely love it. It's been flawless and is super easy to install. From what I've read, it's better than the OEM version, as rominl states.

There's a group buy going on right now or you can email the place where I got mine from. sales@prestigiousdetailing.com
Old 10-16-09, 06:40 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

but with vais you cant cycle through artists and albums am i correct?
Old 10-16-09, 10:49 AM
JasonGS
Driver School Candidate

Vais can go artist, album, and playlist.
Old 10-16-09, 11:08 AM
JasonGS
Driver School Candidate

I have the vml from vais and I use it with my Iphone and it works great plus I stuck a 100gig hdd in it and I have a few usb drives for it as well. The vml is great.
Old 10-16-09, 11:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah on vaistech i can do album, artists, playlist, etc... very flexible
Old 10-18-09, 09:07 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah on vaistech i can do album, artists, playlist, etc... very flexible
Which one do you have rom? Sl2vi or something like that? About to put my oem on the market. Another question.
When you keep the setting on shuffle all music, and turn off the car and like say a day later, does it stay on that setting? Seems like oem lacks that too compared to my old pioneer ipod unit
Old 10-18-09, 09:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i have the sl2i-up, mainly coz' my car has ML and the sl2vi (need package 4) is a lot more expensive. otherwise would have gone with the sl2vi easily

i can't remember 100% about the shuffle function, but i believe it does keep the setting. i remember for sure using the RPT function before and when i shut off then start the car, RPT function is still on. so with that i am pretty sure RAND function would be too?
Old 10-18-09, 08:07 PM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you connect iphone to this too?

Quick Reply: ipod integration kit