GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TPMS Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 06:18 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Sensor Question

I've been meaning to reset my TPMS sensors on my car since I got 20" wheels. The manual says to start the engine, then hold the reset button under the driver side dash until the TPMS light blinks 3 times and the dash display says "Initial Pressure". Well, I did this and left my car running for 25 minutes and nothing happened.
1) Is it supposed to tell me its finished. How do I know it's done?
2) Does the "Initial Pressure" on the display suppose to stay on or does it disappear after 2 seconds?

Also, I want to set the lower bound threshold. So if my 20" tires are always set to 38psi, I want my TPMS sensor to warn me at around 35 psi.

3) How can I set that? Some people have said that you can't do it without taking it to the dealership. I called Cerritos Lexus, and the technician said to turn on your car, but not your engine and hit the button mentioned above until it blinks 3 times. Then let go of the button. Then repeat this a 2nd time. By doing this he said it sets the threshold. Do you know if this is true?

Can someone please help me out?
Old 08-13-09, 06:53 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

are you using the tpms from your old(oem) wheels or a new set of tpms?
Old 08-13-09, 07:13 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stvincent
are you using the tpms from your old(oem) wheels or a new set of tpms?
Yeah, what he said here. If they are a new set, you need to bring it to the dealer to register them to your vehicle.
Old 08-14-09, 06:32 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

It's the old ones. How do I set the threshold?
Old 08-16-09, 10:00 AM
mcamson
Pole Position

bump please
Old 08-16-09, 11:32 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Why don't you try what the Lexus tech suggested?
the technician said to turn on your car, but not your engine and hit the button mentioned above until it blinks 3 times. Then let go of the button. Then repeat this a 2nd time. By doing this he said it sets the threshold
Old 08-17-09, 09:56 AM
LMN_Sins
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once you initialize it you should drive it a short period and it should all set correctly....
Old 08-22-09, 12:07 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Why don't you try what the Lexus tech suggested?
the technician said to turn on your car, but not your engine and hit the button mentioned above until it blinks 3 times. Then let go of the button. Then repeat this a 2nd time. By doing this he said it sets the threshold
I did try it. Then I started the car and took out air from the tires until it was 33 psi. Nothing warned me on the screen. Why isn't it working?

Has anyone actually reset the threshold and has had success?
Old 08-22-09, 12:08 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LMNis250
once you initialize it you should drive it a short period and it should all set correctly....

How do I know when its done initializing? How do you know yours works correctly?
Old 08-22-09, 11:31 PM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The reset worked for me. I knew it was reset because my TPMS warning light went off after I drove it for about 15 - 20 minutes. See my thread for the method I used to reset to any pressure you want: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pressure.html
Old 08-24-09, 08:43 AM
LMN_Sins
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcamson
How do I know when its done initializing? How do you know yours works correctly?
well the sreen should say pressure initialized and i know mines works right cause i have no lights on and when my tire pressure is low it comes on...
Old 08-24-09, 08:35 PM
dlieu8989
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you know if the shop who put your wheels on didn't screw up the sensor? It's really common for shops to damage the sensor when mounting the tire onto the car if they're not careful
Old 08-24-09, 09:09 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HotShotEng
The reset worked for me. I knew it was reset because my TPMS warning light went off after I drove it for about 15 - 20 minutes. See my thread for the method I used to reset to any pressure you want: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pressure.html

Have you ever raised your threshold? I followed your exact instructions, but I don't think it worked.

The thing is that my TPMS light is not on so my light won't go off to tell me it worked. When lowering the PSI below threshold, do I need to drive a little bit for the system to recognize that the pressure is below the threshold? Or will it just turn on as soon as I turn on the car because it recognizes that pressure is low?
Old 08-24-09, 09:12 PM
mcamson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LMNis250
well the sreen should say pressure initialized and i know mines works right cause i have no lights on and when my tire pressure is low it comes on...
did you actually raise your threshold?
Old 08-25-09, 12:26 AM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcamson
Have you ever raised your threshold? I followed your exact instructions, but I don't think it worked.

The thing is that my TPMS light is not on so my light won't go off to tell me it worked. When lowering the PSI below threshold, do I need to drive a little bit for the system to recognize that the pressure is below the threshold? Or will it just turn on as soon as I turn on the car because it recognizes that pressure is low?
It will not be immediate. It will take about 10 - 20 minutes for the light to come on. If you had a blowout, it would probably come on faster. When I originally bought my car, it had the upgraded G-Spider wheels. About 20 minutes after I drove my new car off the lot, the TPMS light came on. I was on the freeway about 20 miles from the lot so I continued home. The next day, I took the car to a nearby Lexus shop and they determined that the original dealer forgot to installed the TPMS's on the new wheels. It took them 5 hours to get an install the sensors. So it definitely isn't immediate.

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensor Question