GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

OEM quality LS-style rear bumper replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 04:22 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Honda 745iLS
Old 07-18-09, 04:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Someone used LS tips on Honda Accord, looks nice...

I don't understand Honda owners. They buy used and new cars and the first things they do is pose them to be something its not.

Why would anyone want to be associated with such garbage?????
Old 07-18-09, 05:34 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I would want one....
Old 07-18-09, 06:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

i have always run into this g35 who custom fit the ls460 opening on the bumper. i have to say, he did a very good job
Old 07-18-09, 06:09 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Someone used LS tips on Honda Accord, looks nice...

but........ it matches the LS and GS much better than a Hunda, with the shape of the tail lights.

The LS and GS lights are trapezoidal, so the trapezoidal exhaust tip matches perfectly.
Old 07-18-09, 06:14 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i have always run into this g35 who custom fit the ls460 opening on the bumper. i have to say, he did a very good job
here's a guy who did it to his g35 coupe.

i think it's not far out to the sides enough. looks awkward

I'm wondering how these guys get their parts. Are there that many totalled LS's at the junkyard? i gotta go find me some

Last edited by dunnojack; 07-18-09 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-18-09, 07:00 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thought of doing the same thing for awhile, last time I checked, the price on the LS' exhaust tips is $68.41 each from the dealership.

Maybe I will buy the tips and go by my buddy's bodyshop to see if they can fit them without major modification on the OEM bumper, hopefully only need to do some cutting instead of repainting!!!

EDIT:
Here are the part numbers: 52106-50011 and 52107-50011. They called them "the extensions," they are $68.41 each.

Last edited by slk_dds; 07-18-09 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-18-09, 07:25 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by slk_dds
I have thought of doing the same thing for awhile, last time I checked, the price on the LS' exhaust tips is $68.41 each from the dealership.

Maybe I will buy the tips and go by my buddy's bodyshop to see if they can fit them without major modification on the OEM bumper, hopefully only need to do some cutting instead of repainting!!!

EDIT:
Here are the part numbers: 52106-50011 and 52107-50011. They called them "the extensions," they are $68.41 each.

wholy crap!
you are the man!!!!!!!

thanks for the part numbers.

I couldn't even make out the exhaust tips in the picture:

$140 is chump change!

These olefin plastic bumpers might be moldable with a heat gun. They will def need to be repainted. But i guess you can paint part of it and blend it with the original?...
The bottom of the bumper needs to be rounded out, and then a flexible filler material needs to be plastered on there with mesh reinforcement.

The exhaust pipe has to be bent 2" toward the center too.

Last edited by dunnojack; 07-18-09 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-18-09, 09:38 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
These olefin plastic bumpers might be moldable with a heat gun. They will def need to be repainted. But i guess you can paint part of it and blend it with the original?...
The bottom of the bumper needs to be rounded out, and then a flexible filler material needs to be plastered on there with mesh reinforcement.

looks like you got a nice mod project to do! time for dunnojack to show us how it's done!
Old 07-18-09, 09:45 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

DJ,
If you build it they will come
or in this case BUY
Old 07-18-09, 09:56 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey DJ
can you photoshop that on the back of a 06 GS without fixing the plastic to fit right? It would give me a sense of what else would need to be done to get it attached and looking pretty
Old 07-18-09, 10:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

I am not feeling it. I like the rounded tips on the Tanabe system that I have more so.
Old 07-18-09, 10:15 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack

DJ,

The PU bumper material can definitely be molded into shape using a heat gun/torch-this is often how they repair PU bumpers back into shape after a collision.
The whole bumper have to be painted to give the original look.

Looking at both your pics with the OEM single tip vs. LS tip with some level of visual size approximation...I would do the very same thing i did with mine using my C4S 997 tips/Tubi muffler ( remember you helped me decide on this). Hack the exhaust cutout to fit the LS tips---keep in mind, that the muffler can be adjusted to a certain degree (up/down, sideways).
As for the bottom piece, it all depends on the thickness of the LS Tips- if it fits flushed relatively well within the new cutout AFTER adjusting the exhaust can, i wouldn't worry about the bottom piece.

On a different note, that is why i HAD to fabricate my own custom splitter/diffuser so that my dual C4S 997 tips are visually aligned, and it solved the "bottom" piece problem...BTW, the 997 Turbo tip (Lexo LS style) can work with my mod.

Last edited by spine911; 07-18-09 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-18-09, 10:53 PM
krava
Lead Lap

I think I might be in for this one
Old 07-19-09, 03:58 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spine911
DJ,

The PU bumper material can definitely be molded into shape using a heat gun/torch-this is often how they repair PU bumpers back into shape after a collision.
The whole bumper have to be painted to give the original look.

Looking at both your pics with the OEM single tip vs. LS tip with some level of visual size approximation...I would do the very same thing i did with mine using my C4S 997 tips/Tubi muffler ( remember you helped me decide on this). Hack the exhaust cutout to fit the LS tips---keep in mind, that the muffler can be adjusted to a certain degree (up/down, sideways).
As for the bottom piece, it all depends on the thickness of the LS Tips- if it fits flushed relatively well within the new cutout AFTER adjusting the exhaust can, i wouldn't worry about the bottom piece.

On a different note, that is why i HAD to fabricate my own custom splitter/diffuser so that my dual C4S 997 tips are visually aligned, and it solved the "bottom" piece problem...BTW, the 997 Turbo tip (Lexo LS style) can work with my mod.
you integrated the quad exhaust into the bumper?

man, i NEED to see your exhaust.

How much wiggle room (in inches) does the exhaust have toward the center?

yeah, there's a bottom support base that needs to be clamped in and painted black.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am not feeling it. I like the rounded tips on the Tanabe system that I have more so.
not everyone will like everything.

i prefer oem look over big cans.

Quick Reply: OEM quality LS-style rear bumper replacement?