GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3M Clearbra or AeroTect

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-08, 03:07 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can mostly de-yellow and shine up the clearbra - at least I have been able to w/ my 3M one.

Give it a good cleaning w/ soap. Then remove all the stains using bug n tar remover - the good stuff - not the cheap spray on let it soak rinse off crap. You know the elbow grease stuff. Bug n Tar remover will, for the most part, remove the yellowing (mostly surface oxidation). If it does not, pick up some convertible window cleaner (like the Novus 1-2-3 step system) and polish out the oxidation.

Once you have it clean and clear again, you need to polish it to a shine just like dull or spider-webbed/scratched paint. I prefer 3M Machine Polish on mine. Using a white foam polishing pad on a buffer (not DA) and under 1500 rpms and it will come back to a glossy finish. Don't polish too hard/long in one spot as the clearbra heats up quickly. Anything higher than 1500 RPMs or harsher (like an Orange or Yellow pad) and you risk burning the clearbra.

Once shiny, give it some nourishment/oils (a la 3M Hand Glaze or Meguiars #7) and protect it w/ your favorite sealant or wax. Another alternative is to just protect it w/ Plexus. I prefer to polish, nourish and wax it. If it starts to yellow between total car polishing/waxes, I just touch it up Plexus and maybe a little Bug n Tar remover. Before a serious road trip, I'll also hit it w/ Plexus - really keeps the bugs from staining and sticking.

Good luck and unfortunately on Starfire Pearl everything shows up in the clearbra.

Old 11-18-08, 03:49 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ with all due respect - that's insane ! I got the clear bra to protect the paint/finish of the car, so if defeats the purpose to put all that TLC into protecting the protection . . .
Old 11-18-08, 04:39 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wasnt there a member here who had their bumper removed so the clear bra could be wrapped to the back side of the bumper, thus no visible lines?
Old 11-18-08, 04:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
wasnt there a member here who had their bumper removed so the clear bra could be wrapped to the back side of the bumper, thus no visible lines?
i didn't have my bumper removed (that's too much to me), but the clear bra on my bumper wraps around to the wheel well so at least that line isn't visible
Old 11-18-08, 05:49 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured you would know Henry. I thought it was RMMGS4 but couldnt find the post
Old 11-18-08, 06:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i can't remember if he took off his bumper to do the clear bra so it's wrap on all edges, but i am sure that will be a much more expensive option

however, it's doable though. especially on exotic cars, some of them do that
Old 11-19-08, 07:56 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

I think it's only fair that I make a clarification, what we are dealing with seem to be with venture shield and not Aerotect..

they are an awesome vendor that do impeccable job, I will continue to bring cars there for installation and I am driving 400 miles to see them, that's gotta mean something right

i'll just have to follow their strict instruction to keep this film in top shape...
Old 07-13-09, 11:20 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

hit a tire on the freeway... sigh...

guys.. know how to get rid of the scuff mark off clear bra? people suggest 3M plastic cleaner and alcohol.. both I will try

can't believe i might have to redo my clear bra for the 3rd time if i can't get this off..
Old 07-13-09, 11:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

holy crap damnit kevin... have you tried rubbing compound?

if you are in town give me a call, maybe i can help.

in my case rubbing compound took out most of the marks. area might not be as shiny, but it's vertical so that shouldn't be very noticeable

and damn, you cracked your fogs and damaged one of the sensors?
Old 07-13-09, 11:31 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

yea, I've tried the meguiars scratchx ..

gonna go pep boys and buy couple more things tomorrow to see.. it's a long drive back to Aerotect to redo.. sigh

yea, I managed to reinstall the sensor back into the socket thru the wheel well, but the surround is kinda bent from the impact..

lens is gone, clear bra held it together, but need to replace that.. there goes $250 for that ..
Old 07-14-09, 12:03 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

How much did u pay for it?
Old 07-14-09, 09:36 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

talking to me?
Old 07-14-09, 09:49 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

whlkev, sorry to hear about that accident you had! if it's any consolation, your clear bra most likely saved you more money than if you didn't have it installed.
Old 07-14-09, 10:26 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

talked to Jason @ aerotect, unfortunately, he said those will be next to impossible to take it out.. I'll try some buffing and what not..

might have to get them to redo, hopefully they can help me out on this one.. gotta drive 400 miles again to see them ...
Old 07-14-09, 10:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that really sux kevin, sorry to hear that

i am surprised the scratch x didn't do the trick? last time my sc430 hit some tires on the freeway, it looked something similar and i was able to use rubbing compound and took out everything. let me know if you need more help kevin

Quick Reply: 3M Clearbra or AeroTect