GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Need help with questions about 2008 GS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 05:19 PM
wfisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with questions about 2008 GS350

I have ordered a gs350 awd with ML and AVS 1 month ago. I have a few questions that the lexus site can't answer. Does the new steering wheel on the 08's have backlit controls? Is there a way to skip the annoying talking when you want to make a voice activated phone call (my acura just beeps, it is much quicker)? Does the AVS give it a sportier feel? Has the dashboard rattle been fixed in the 08's? I am starting to wonder if I made a mistake. Thanks.
Old 03-09-08, 05:48 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The only answer I know is that the dash board rattle on the 08 is not fix from the factory, but most dealers are pretty good at fixing them now. If you already feel you made a mistake, its not too late to back out of the deal. Is the backlit buttons and the talking instead of beep really that important to you, after all, you are buying a car, not a blue tooth interface.
Old 03-09-08, 05:49 PM
takwaiyeh
Driver School Candidate

Has the dashboard rattle been fixed in the 08's?
I bought a 08 GS350 last December and I noticed a little dashboard rattle. But that's only if I turn the audio off and it seems to go away after the car warmed up.

Does the new steering wheel on the 08's have backlit controls?
I don't think the controls on the steering wheel light up if that's what you talking about.

I am not sure about the voice-activated phone calls as I haven't try it yet. And I did not get the AVS so I can't comment on that.

-Andy
Old 03-09-08, 06:09 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not exactly the same but may be a clue. On our new RX with Gen5 navi/bluetooth, there was a way to turn off via the menu/settings the voice prompts for dial by number. After you change that, you push the talk button, and say 'dial by number', you push the talk button again and the system beeps and the microphone icon pops up on the touchscreen and you just start saying the number you want to call. you don't have to wait for the system to prompt you to do this or that.
Old 03-09-08, 06:23 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wfisher
I am starting to wonder if I made a mistake. Thanks.
funny: buyer remorse before the purchase... dude your'e getting a Lexus.. be happy..
Old 03-09-08, 09:05 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes the buttons on the steering wheel are back lit
Old 03-09-08, 10:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 186 Likes on 144 Posts

avs can give you a bit sportier ride if you put it in sport mode, but don't think about having night and day difference

steering wheel buttons are back lit

dash rattle probably still exists on 08
Old 03-10-08, 12:36 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're planning to get wheels and lowering your car, the AVS is pretty much a waste of $$$. That's one of the main reason i did not get the AVS option, because i already know i'm gonna mod my car. Besides AVS on the GS350 is very rare. Since it gotta be special ordered, that means no negotiating in price when buying the car.
Old 03-10-08, 02:55 AM
wfisher
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replys so far. My current car/soon to be trade in was a TL and besides rattles was a great car. I am looking forward to the change to Lexus, but was suprised at some of the odd features of the GS. For instance, don't most of you think it is weird that a car is 50k but the light in the trunk is not automatic? Do most of you just leave it on permanently, or is that too rought on the battery? Is the Nav system a new gen for 08 or same as the 07. Thanks again for the above replies.
Old 03-10-08, 03:28 AM
rkb43
Pole Position

The light in the trunk can be set to auto, and if you do a search of this site, you will find instructions for turning off the prompts when using the voice activation system. The Nav system is the same, with an updated DVD.
Old 03-10-08, 04:50 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your call of course on whether the things you are asking about are big deals or quirks, but hope you find the GS a clear upgrade from a TL. enjoy the ride
Old 03-10-08, 05:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The light on the trunk has 2 position, off and auto. I had AVS on my last Lexus, it doesnt make that much of a difference. The tech stuff on the TL is actually pretty good for a car in that price range, but the Lexus blows away the TL luxury wise. If all you are looking for is tech features, then the GS is not for you. There are many cars out there that are cheaper and have the same or better toys. I bought the GS over the TL because of the interior, smoother ride, built quality and the Lexus dealership.
Old 03-10-08, 10:50 AM
GatorWPB
Driver

I have not heard of any 08s having the rattle issue, but I guess it could still be.
7k miles so far and no rattles here. This car is silent. Even quieter than my '05 530i.
Old 03-10-08, 11:25 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

The rattles & creaks seems to be region/weather related. In areas with true winters (snow or freezing temps) the rattles are more prevalent than warm weather regions.

If you had navi in your TL, you will find the Lexus nav to be more intrusive, but the graphics & res are much sharper, plus the ML is better than Acura's bose and also allows dvd video playback.

As for the TL itself (no offense, but):
Need help with questions about 2008 GS350-fwd-sucks.jpg
Old 03-10-08, 12:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 186 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by wfisher
Thanks for the replys so far. My current car/soon to be trade in was a TL and besides rattles was a great car. I am looking forward to the change to Lexus, but was suprised at some of the odd features of the GS. For instance, don't most of you think it is weird that a car is 50k but the light in the trunk is not automatic? Do most of you just leave it on permanently, or is that too rought on the battery? Is the Nav system a new gen for 08 or same as the 07. Thanks again for the above replies.
like others said, the trunk light is auto. now why they put a OFF switch for it that's beyond me. 08 and 07 have the same gen nav

the gs is going to be a totally different car from the tl.

Quick Reply: Need help with questions about 2008 GS350