GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 or BMW 528 (real buying intended)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 04:03 PM
TMQ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 or BMW 528 (real buying intended)

This is not to cause any flaming. It seems that the in-laws are willing to get us a ~45K vehicle. I'm the usual prudent one with $ and could buy a Camry or Accord and put the rest into Roth IRA and 529 plans (yeah we have plenty room to contribute). Wife obviously can't say no to a mid size luxury sedan with real brand recognition, even though we don't really have any one to impress.

Time to buy is probably Jan-Feb of 2008.

So the obvious decision comes down to the new GS350 or BMW 528. As you can see, horsepower is not a deciding factor, and sports package or large wheels are not important either. That way, the total cost is probably similar, with more value on the Lexus side. Reliability is pretty important - overall BMW can't compare to Lexus. I read that the 3 and 5 series are actually pretty good, and 528 is obviously a safe choice with the inline 6.

If you have bought the GS or plans to buy, and perhaps have cross-shopped the 5 series, I'd appreciate some views, regarding interior, exterior, reliability, and driving characteristics.

When I have time, I will go to the dealers and do a test drive. Obviously have to dress a little nicer so won't get ignored.
Old 09-20-07, 04:26 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Insurance institute for highway safety rated bmw 5 series the worst in side impact crash test.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20289885/

having stated that, we have a 2006 5 series in the family and honestly, besides its awesome driving experience, smooth acceleration, awesome brakes, pretty much a driver's car, other than that, there is nothing desirable about it.

Interior in bmw is no where near the quality of a lexus in terms of craftsmanship and material.

Forget about going long term with the bmw, if you decide to keep this car for a while and reliability/peace of mind is what you are looking for, definitely get the GS. All the standards equipment in the lexus will make bmw's option like a
pinto in comparison.

as you can see, I don't own a GS yet, so I am far from biased.
Old 09-20-07, 09:54 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Actually the only choice you have is GS, due to the fact that you have mentioned that your budget is ~46k. With that, you cannot really get a 528, unless you are getting the basic basic one + dealer discount.

Besides, if you are going to keep the vehicle for longer than 5 years, your only choice would be GS!!!
Old 09-20-07, 10:31 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Not to cause further controversy, but IMHO I'd cross shop the M35 before the 528, more of an apples to apples comparison to the GS350 . . . good luck !
Old 09-21-07, 08:40 AM
TMQ
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the budget, well it's flexible, and it's not my budget.

I didn't know about the safety test on the 5 series. that is definitely a concern.

About Infiniti - it has little brand recognition, and thus will be ignored by wife, same thing with Acura. MB and Audi aren't considered, since their reliability record seem even worse.
Old 09-21-07, 08:57 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely don't want a 528i at 46k.

Go with the GS350 or look at M35. G35 even since it would be a few grand less.
Old 09-21-07, 11:13 AM
Kroozin
Rookie

Since you mentioned hp wasn't a driving factor (GS350) and handling doesn't appear to be either (or you'd select the 525), I'd go with an ES350. It gives you the brand recognition you want, Lexus reliability, and most of the same creature comforts as the GS at an even lower cost. In addition it's a great looking car...
Old 09-21-07, 04:52 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TMQ
This is not to cause any flaming. It seems that the in-laws are willing to get us a ~45K vehicle. I'm the usual prudent one with $ and could buy a Camry or Accord and put the rest into Roth IRA and 529 plans (yeah we have plenty room to contribute). Wife obviously can't say no to a mid size luxury sedan with real brand recognition, even though we don't really have any one to impress.

So the obvious decision comes down to the new GS350 or BMW 528. As you can see, horsepower is not a deciding factor, and sports package or large wheels are not important either. That way, the total cost is probably similar, with more value on the Lexus side. Reliability is pretty important - overall BMW can't compare to Lexus. I read that the 3 and 5 series are actually pretty good, and 528 is obviously a safe choice with the inline 6.

If you have bought the GS or plans to buy, and perhaps have cross-shopped the 5 series, I'd appreciate some views, regarding interior, exterior, reliability, and driving characteristics.

When I have time, I will go to the dealers and do a test drive. Obviously have to dress a little nicer so won't get ignored.
I crossed shop both several months ago, went back and test drove both 2 times. In the end I bought the lexus GS350 AWD, it is faster than 528 and more luxurious, more standard options and more reliable. BMW's free maintenance is only the minimum required which amounts to maybe once a year if you put some mileage on it & after the free maintenance expires good luck ! So what the Bimmer has better handling, I upgraded to 18 inch G-spider wheels with bigger tires to compensate and it was still thousands cheaper than BMW. Lexus wins !

Last edited by bokmeipai; 09-21-07 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-21-07, 05:16 PM
spiralynth
Rookie

So this is a picture of the '08 E550 gauge cluster. Um, is that really a clock?

Old 09-22-07, 02:51 AM
Chuck W.
Rookie

Go test drive them back to back. They are two very differant cars.
Old 09-22-07, 10:27 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

I cross-shopped the GS450h and BMW 550i. Though not exactly what you're doing, it's pretty similar. I ended up getting the Lexus. Here are some observations in no particular order:

* It seems your wife really cares about brand. In my opinion the 5-series offers more snob-appeal. That was one of the main reasons I ended up not getting it.

* The iDrive on the BMW is just plain terrible, but I don't think you'd have it on the 528 unless you got the navigation system.

* Ergonomics on the Lexus beats BMW in most respects. However, certain upgraded BMW driver seats offer a lot more customization choices (such as hip width adjustment, and thigh length adjustment)

* The amount of storage room on the 550i was ludicrous; I would guess it's the same way on the 528. The middle console had place just for a cell phone and nothing else!

* Handling was much better on the 5-series.

* BMWs offer terrible value for the money, if you buy. Leasing, however is a totally different story. BMW is famous for having the sneaky back-end type of incentives on the leases by offering inflated residuals. Leasing a $45K GS would cost as much as leasing a $55K BMW for this reason.

* Lexus routine maintenance costs are sky-high. My local dealer wants $100 for oil change and tire rotation (hence, they will never get my business). BMW offers free service for the first four years. Of course, that's still not nearly enough to compensate for the inflated pricing (if you buy, and not lease).
Old 09-22-07, 02:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TMQ

Its hard to ignore BMWs free maintenance, great if you are going to lease. If you are going to lease or buy, the GS 350 is great.

Honestly, the main advantage BMW has is sport and snob appeal. If neither is a big issue, the GS 350 is perfect and the extra power is something that you can only learn to love.
Old 09-23-07, 07:27 PM
Chuck W.
Rookie

Originally Posted by Modeler
In my opinion the 5-series offers more snob-appeal.

* The iDrive on the BMW is just plain terrible, but I don't think you'd have it on the 528 unless you got the navigation system.
Snob-appear; No I am not... well maybe a little.

And, I love the I-Drive.
Old 09-23-07, 07:31 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whlkev
Insurance institute for highway safety rated bmw 5 series the worst in side impact crash test.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20289885/

having stated that, we have a 2006 5 series in the family and honestly, besides its awesome driving experience, smooth acceleration, awesome brakes, pretty much a driver's car, other than that, there is nothing desirable about it.

Interior in bmw is no where near the quality of a lexus in terms of craftsmanship and material.

Forget about going long term with the bmw, if you decide to keep this car for a while and reliability/peace of mind is what you are looking for, definitely get the GS. All the standards equipment in the lexus will make bmw's option like a
pinto in comparison.

as you can see, I don't own a GS yet, so I am far from biased.
Ugh... yes, you are not biased and yet you are getting a GS460 when it come out....(no matter what the HP).

The BMW was the worst of the cars tested. It received a "marginal" rating - it did not receive the "Poor" rating - wouldn't the poor rating be the worst? Per BMW
“The issue is that depending on the location of seat, the location of dummy, the location of the sled, the results could change,” he said. “This was one test on one day on one car.”

That said, the 2008 interior was changed and could have affected the result. Still, if you are worried about side impacts, then consider a Tahoe or Suburban, they will both do better - size for size.

As a former GS430 owner, I can tell you there is a lot more about the 5-series that appeals to me other than the driving experience. Comments like this "Interior in bmw is no where near the quality of a lexus in terms of craftsmanship and material. " are just plain asinine.

Anyway, not to turn this into a BMW vs. Lexus thread again, but you are far from biased. TMQ, please do your own research and let us know what you decide. Lexus it the right car for many, but comments like whlkev's are not helpful in you making the right decision for yourself.
Old 09-23-07, 09:31 PM
momisamira
Driver School Candidate

Just picked up my GS350 AWD and was consisdering a 535xi. I already have a grand cherokee SRT8 so didnt care about flat out speed or driving experience otherwise would have gone with the BMW. Interior feel and luxury is far better in the lexus. Nav and toiuch screen much nicer than idrive, although must say, al littel complicated as well.

Bottom line is only reason to go for bmw is driving experience. in my area fewer gs around, everyone seems to have a beemer everywhere you go, so a little more exclusivity with lexus.

Quick Reply: GS350 or BMW 528 (real buying intended)