GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

WOW! Are The GS350 and Acura RL Really This Comparable!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 08:30 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rkb43
What are the reliability problems that the GS suffers from?
I researched the car pretty thoroughly and other then a few isolated cases, and some complaints about interior noise, I couldn't find any. The car seems bulletproof to me, and during the first 6 months of ownership has been flawless.
Few isolated cases would not cause Consumer Report to drop to 5th place due to 06 GS. Why would any buyer to pay a car with >50K MSRP and lose its resale value due to rattles, which is the tip of iceberg on build quality because you can hear. Makes me question on parts you can't see and hear.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=296916
IMHO, $50 car should not have any of this. I like the GS350 but no way I am going to buy it unless the problem is fixed in 08 model.
Old 08-16-07, 08:49 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VAL678
LOL

Thats kind of true but when my dad was looking at buying his S550 he compared it to the LS460L but where does the Acura RL really fit in the car world. The TL should compete with the GS and the RL with the LS but Acura screwed up in my point of view.

The Acura RL is a great car but just lost....
Originally Posted by GSteg
The Acura RL was never meant to compete with the LS or the S-class. The RL is in the same class as the E-class, 5-series, and the GS. Flagship should not always be compared with another flagship. Car should be compared by class, otherwise we'd be comparing the LS600h to the Rolls Royce phantom and the Bentley Brooklands since they're all flagship of their respective brand.
Exactly...
Old 08-16-07, 09:35 AM
rkb43
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tuned I understand your concern about the interior noise issues some GS owners have had. It is troubling. I disagree that this is an indication of the long term reliability of the car.
If you put any stock in Consumer Reports (I do not) it's worth noting they kept a recomended rating on the car
Old 08-16-07, 09:59 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rkb43
Tuned I understand your concern about the interior noise issues some GS owners have had. It is troubling. I disagree that this is an indication of the long term reliability of the car.
If you put any stock in Consumer Reports (I do not) it's worth noting they kept a recomended rating on the car
CR is not perfect, but most people who buy cars pick up a copy or check its online review since the stats are compiled from actual GS owners. GS benefits from the good review from the CR in the past, but this means any negative feedback hurt the resale value and buyer's perception. In another word, you and I may not have a bad GS but buyers don't know and assume we do (if he believes CR), therefore ask for additional discount, when we decide to sell the GS.
I love the GS350, but will hold off because as an educated buyer, I want more information and improvement from Lexus. This is nothing personal but purely want to accurately gauge an investment (or expense).
Old 08-16-07, 10:08 AM
composite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
CR is not perfect, but most people who buy cars pick up a copy or check its online review since the stats are compiled from actual GS owners. GS benefits from the good review from the CR in the past, but this means any negative feedback hurt the resale value and buyer's perception. In another word, you and I may not have a bad GS but buyers don't know and assume we do (if he believes CR), therefore ask for additional discount, when we decide to sell the GS.
I love the GS350, but will hold off because as an educated buyer, I want more information and improvement from Lexus. This is nothing personal but purely want to accurately gauge an investment (or expense).
When it comes to luxury cars, reliability doesn't seem to correlate to greater resale value. BMW/Mercedes have notorious reliability issues, but the best resale value. It seems like brand appeal is more important.
Old 08-16-07, 10:52 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by composite
When it comes to luxury cars, reliability doesn't seem to correlate to greater resale value. BMW/Mercedes have notorious reliability issues, but the best resale value. It seems like brand appeal is more important.
Just check with ES350 folks that got fed up on the bad transmission design and end up have to sell the car or pursue buyback option (what a headache), CR has reported progressively worse rating on the ES350 since its intro.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284028
I am not saying GS is having the same reliability magnitude, but 2G GS used be built in Tahara, which won JD Powers IQS Platinum award , so my expectation is high. 2G GS's reliability attracts me as a potential buyer, and I am shocked to see 3G GS is not as reliable, what happened since 2005?

Had BMW/MB can have a reasonable reliability rating, there will be more buyers demanding for the same pool of used cars. Nothing magical, more demand means higher resell value.
Old 08-16-07, 04:52 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

Tuned, Have you seen the JD POWER IQS for the GS 350 itself?
http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research....=&aff=national
Old 08-16-07, 04:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Be careful the perception is a double edged sword. Just when one feels a step up in brand appeal with a Lexus, MB owner will slam you down by saying, "Lexus is nothing but a repackaged Toyota".
Considering GS is marketed under Toyota brand in Japan until recently and almost all parts are supplied with Toyota label, don't get too carry away with this brand appeal thing.
I love the GS350 but found the reliability has suffered quite a bit with 3rd generation. Probably will hold off until problems are worked out in the 2008 model.
You miss the entire fact the GS was designed as a GS and only sold in Toyota as an Aristo. You also miss the fact the Aristo had a TT 2JZGTE, never was a V-8 Aristo offered.

The GS is still produced in Tahara. We have stated it has had its share of issues as a 2006 model. Guess what the RL was not trouble free either.

Its selling poorly in Europe as well.
Old 08-16-07, 06:40 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason to buy an RL over the GS is if the sloped roofline
or the small trunk of the GS are unacceptable. The RL is outsold by the GS
by practically 4 to 1 because the RL is dreadfully boring. If Acura had
stepped up to the plate like Infiniti did with the M they could've competed,
but alas, the RL is a complete bust.
Old 08-16-07, 08:57 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
The only reason to buy an RL over the GS is if the sloped roofline
or the small trunk of the GS are unacceptable. The RL is outsold by the GS
by practically 4 to 1 because the RL is dreadfully boring. If Acura had
stepped up to the plate like Infiniti did with the M they could've competed,
but alas, the RL is a complete bust.

I differ with you a bit. Here's the short version:

Having owned an RL, its most attractive feature is the 'bang for buck' you get for your $42K. As close to apples to apples the RL and GS can be, there is no better value in this class. Setting aside its' value, the GS is a more refined car and worthy of the extra dollars for all the incidentals that come with driving a Lexus.
Old 08-16-07, 11:20 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You miss the entire fact the GS was designed as a GS and only sold in Toyota as an Aristo. You also miss the fact the Aristo had a TT 2JZGTE, never was a V-8 Aristo offered.
Yes it is great to have Toyota to design platform for the GS but that does not change the fact that all Lexus cars are Toyotas, just as all Infiniti cars are Nissans and all Acura cars are Hondas.
If one want snob appeal, yes "L" on the hood matters. But not me, last time I checked all Lexus assets and warranty liability are on the balance sheet of Toyota, Lexus' sales and expense on the income statement of Toyota. $ comes in and goes out through Toyota's accounting books.

To slap Acura or Infiniti as non-luxury brands are fine, but this also means you are slapping Lexus on the backhand because it is using the exact same branding tactic in order reap more profit off consumers on their ability to pay.
Old 08-16-07, 11:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, the fact is that the new IS/GS/LS are sold as Lexus everywhere, including Japan. The new models were also designed from the ground up as Lexus. AutoExpress reported that the next RX also will be sold in Japan as a Lexus, we'll see about that.
Old 08-20-07, 12:55 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack

i think the RL is one of those "point and laugh at the driver cuz he's a sucker" kind of cars.
Seriously, that has to be one of the most stupid pompous things anyone has ever said. Are you sure you are an adult. Are you calling me a sucker?

Last edited by CK6Speed; 08-20-07 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-20-07, 01:53 AM
Shon.nv
Rookie

I agree with most of you in this one. I am in a market for a car and my 3 choices were the RL, M45 and the GS. Since I have an Accord and a buddy of mine drives a TL, the RL felt the same as the TL and Accord but with a little more gizmos/gadgets. On the other hand, GS was great overall. M45 is out of the question because its just too luxurious for my taste and age. After I upgraded the suspension/tires on my Accord, I didnt really feel any difference driving the RL except for the cooled seats .

Since this would be my 5th car, I am definitely buying a preowned because Iam done paying the depreciation on a new car but the problem is, there arent alot of used GS. I check everyday on autotrader etc and only see 3-5 used GS so Iam assuming its a great car because no body wants to sell it or trade it.