GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Consumer Reports drops Lexus to 5th place in reliability - due to 06 GS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 04:11 AM
gs9351
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Consumer Reports drops Lexus to 5th place in reliability - due to 06 GS!

Consumer Reports dropped Lexus from 1st to 5th in their predicted reliability survey. The magazine blamed the 2006 first-year GS, which had problems in integrity, body hardware and sound system, as the sole reason for the slip.

Despite the reliability issues among 2006 GS models, the vehicle earned an "Recommend" rating from Consumer Reports for vehicle features and overall value.

Question: Do you feel that the "quality issues" have been substantially reduced on the 2007 GS350 to allow Lexus to regain the #1 slot on the reliability index?

Last edited by gs9351; 07-28-07 at 11:11 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-28-07, 02:24 PM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs9351
Question: Do you feel that the "quality issues" have been substantially reduced on the 2007 GS350 to allow Lexus to regain the #1 slot on the reliability index?
Answer: No. It's been rumored that the quality will improve with the 2008 model, but there hasn't been any admission from Lexus about the quality problems of the 06 or 07, so I wouldn't expect anything official about the 08.
Old 07-28-07, 06:14 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

I had an 06 GS and now the 07. The 350 is definitely better, but not what I would call the real Lexus quality that we have come to know and love.

Maybe the 08 will hit the mark.

Last edited by scottmyers; 07-29-07 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-28-07, 10:23 PM
ajcsanders
Driver

Creaks & rattles. There was a difference when I took my '07 out of the showroom compared to a 1 year old '06, but seven months later that difference has more or less vanished...and it's got nothing to do with the cold...it's over 100 degrees f at night here...
Old 07-29-07, 01:22 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 06 model has some rattles but nothing compare to the 99 RX300. We had to pull the dash out numerous time. Our shop car 07 GS350 is holding up just fine. I had to pull the driver's side door panel out one time fix the rattle myself.
JPI
Old 07-29-07, 09:21 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since I have both 06 and 07, I can say there seems to be a difference. The 07 feels more sold. The seats are a little more comfortable. The suspension isolates more from the road. The stereo sounds just a little better. The tramission shifts better and the shifter is tighter. Seems like there is a little less wind noise. The carpet is thicker. Neither car has sqeaks/rattles.

This past week I noticed the 06 has a rougher idle with the AC on. Dealer says it's normal so that means a long drawn out deal is about to begin. It isn't really bad but you know how these things are, they get worse if left unresolved.

I got the dealer to replace the carpet in the 06 because a chunk came out while cleaning it. They didn't want to do it...I had to argue. My logic was this...unless I abused it, and why would I do that, chunks shouldn't come out when cleaning it regardless of how hard I rubbed. That did it!
Old 07-30-07, 04:50 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This isn't surprising. With all the complaints between the current gen IS/ES/GS, i can't see how Lexus thinks they'll remain at the top of the heap. Sure, we'll be up there on the list, but definitely not where we were if all these issues keep up.
Old 07-30-07, 05:26 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's just the GS. This really shouldn't tarnish Lexus as a whole. Since 2000, I been reading the auto issue from Consumer Reports. For the past 2 years or so, they haven't been giving good marks for some BMW's cars due to electrical issues. Notice I said BMW cars, unlike Lexus, CR had mixed feelings about the GS. Just one car.
Old 07-30-07, 09:20 PM
StevenC56
Driver

Question Consumer Reports

I read consumer reports now and then. I have found over the years that I agree with their recommendations and opinions less than 50% of the time. I read what they say, but I never take it for gospel.
Old 07-30-07, 10:23 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I'm quite sure Lexus is taking these problems very seriously, and that's why many are seeing improvements when moving from 06 to 07 GS. Toyota is well aware that their quality is getting a bit shaky, which is why improving quality is a top priority at the company right now.
Old 07-31-07, 07:02 AM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Toyota is well aware that their quality is getting a bit shaky, which is why improving quality is a top priority at the company right now.
Could you site your source? I'm not doubting it, I just haven't seen them publicly admit that there have been quality issues with the GS or ES, or anything about them addressing the issues. I've seen "Pursuit of perfection" and general "Quality is our top priority" statements (just like every car company says), but no admissions of quality lapses.

I don't expect them to admit lapses, but I've seen more than one post of "Toyota/Lexus is aware of the quality problems and is working on them" with no backup.
Old 07-31-07, 08:56 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdkinnh
Could you site your source? I'm not doubting it, I just haven't seen them publicly admit that there have been quality issues with the GS or ES, or anything about them addressing the issues. I've seen "Pursuit of perfection" and general "Quality is our top priority" statements (just like every car company says), but no admissions of quality lapses.

I don't expect them to admit lapses, but I've seen more than one post of "Toyota/Lexus is aware of the quality problems and is working on them" with no backup.
Several articles in the trade rag's (ie Motor Trend, Car & Driver) have noted that Toyota/Lexus is aware of quality problems when they discuss the new 2008 Highlander. I recall one article that said that Toyota was considering slowing down their model year cycle patterns to allow one additional year of QC before a new model was released.

FWIW, we've had Lexus vehicles since the brand was invented. I still think they are the highest quality (although not always the most fun to drive) cars in the US market. But I do honestly feel that the quality has slipped a bit as more and more electronic, fancy gizmo's are added the vehicles are way more complicated.

I wonder if our 2006 LX470 will be as trouble free ten years from now as our 1997 LS400 is today.
Old 08-01-07, 09:23 AM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Several articles in the trade rag's (ie Motor Trend, Car & Driver) have noted that Toyota/Lexus is aware of quality problems..
Ah, that would explain why I hadn't seen anything - I don't read those.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-07, 06:50 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Just one data point, but my 06 has been rattle and issue-free. A pleasure to own. Again...just one data point.
Old 08-01-07, 10:42 PM
vborder
Lead Lap

Well, maybe its because the world has move in a rapid pace here in the last 5 yrs.. It seems houses and buildings are popping up everywhere and they are coming up fast!

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports drops Lexus to 5th place in reliability - due to 06 GS!