GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

I think i made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-07, 06:28 PM
skk440
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think i made a mistake

So, i pick up my car on monday and have my sit down with the finance rep. At the end of the meeting i had signed up for the
1. clear bra
2. low jack
3. exterior paint sealant and interior leather protection
4. tire and rims warranty.
A grand total of 3000 dollars..... just how big of a mistake did i make?
Old 08-08-07, 06:33 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by skk440
So, i pick up my car on monday and have my sit down with the finance rep. At the end of the meeting i had signed up for the
1. clear bra
2. low jack
Let's just say that your new car won't have been the only thing to have taken you for a ride.
Old 08-08-07, 06:33 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO you didn't need 2,3,or 4.
Old 08-08-07, 06:54 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

1. clear bra
2. low jack
If you just picked it up on Monday there's absolutely no reason you can't get out of 3 & 4. Any reputable dealer will make it right with you. There's no such thing as a paint sealant and interior leather protection. It's really called wax and polish and leather conditioner / dressing. Trust me. I don't know why you'd need to insure the wheels and tires, heck, Costco gives you free tire insurance and your wheels should have factory locks. If you damage your wheels well there's a ton of wheels here in the classifieds and I'm sure any number of sponsors here would love to have your business. In my opinion the clear bra and low jack would be personal choices but in regards to the low jack you probably have full coverage on your insurance if you just bought the car. Good luck and congratulations on your new car.
Old 08-08-07, 06:55 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

It all up to you and how things are covered. I already have curb scrapes on my rims. If that covers that kind of damage, it could be money well spent. How does the leather one work?
Old 08-08-07, 07:01 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, that salesman is having a party tonight for sure
Old 08-08-07, 07:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I'd definitely dump 3. If you drive where there are terrible road conditions in NYC regularly and (#4) covers it, might be worthwhile but OEM wheels are pretty tough and your money might be better spent on replacement if you need it.

Same thing for #2, do you go into more 'risky' situations with your GS? Park on the street a lot? Is there anything about your car where you'd care if you got it back if it were stolen or would the insurance money to replace it be OK?

Clearbra might not be bad if they are price competitive with others in the area... Lexus backing of these aftermarket items is good and you'd be getting it done ostensibly by someone who does a lot of new Lexus just like yours.
Old 08-08-07, 07:31 PM
skk440
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the help guys. Im going to call them and try to remove #4. I got the low jack because it will reduce my insurance... does anyone know how much it reduces it by?
The tire and rims i got because i have issues with damaging my rims and it seemed like a good option to have so i don't have to worry about scratches and etc.
Lets hope they'll let me go back on the leather and exterior. that's 800 dollars in my pocket.
Old 08-08-07, 07:34 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

its all good man its only like an extra 10 per montly payment
Old 08-08-07, 07:34 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i would not have gone for any of those.

1 - clearbra thru dealer is usually poor. my cousin got one and it is the pre-cut kind (not wrapped around the seams), and they had some on their loaners in service that were less than a year old and they were already yellowing. granted they have a "lifetime warranty", but i'd rather take that money to another vendor that does high-end clear bra work.

2 - low jack is not a bad option, although it depends where you live. if you've never had issues w/ the area you work and live in terms of theft or burglary, i would skip it. they say it can save you x% on car insurance, but i worked it out w/ my insurance (AAA) and it would take me too long to recoup that cost vs. how long i was going to lease the car anyway.

3 - NEVER get this stuff! as the previous posters said, it's just a glamorized way of saying wax and leather dressing. it is not good quality stuff (like meguiars or zaino), and it doesn't last more than 3 months. if you are really concerned about that stuff, you can always get it professionally detailed at a high end detail shop, which is what i do, and it costs less and the products they use are top notch. i did the exterior paint protection in 1998 on a black GS and they warranted it against scratches, bird poop stains, etc, etc. it didn't last thru the first hand wash by me (using chamois and good stuff)!

4 - tire and rims is ok actually if you are exposed to a lot of road hazard. but i guarantee they probably just fix scrapes cosmetically. unless you parallel park every day, i wouldn't think this is too worthwhile. as for tire damage, i did end up getting a nail thru a sidewall within 1 month that had to be replaced for $275, but even then that was just bad luck and i don't think it really makes me want to sign up for any road hazard thru the dealer next time. also i am guessing warranty for life means you'd have to buy your tires thru them, and the dealer easily charges 50%-100% more than other places for the same tire.

hope that helps!
Old 08-08-07, 09:36 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

#3 is definitely a rip-off , I probably won't go for any of the 4 myself ...
Old 08-08-07, 09:47 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. clear bra
2. low jack

Clear Bra: No comment
Low Jack: Wouldn't get it (that's why you have {gap} insurance).
Exterior/Interior Treatment. One word: ZAINO!!!!
Tire and Rims warranty: You gotta be kidding.

Don't feel too bad. The guy before you purchased the same package for $3,250.00.

Seriously, congrats on the new car but it seems you haven't done your homework. #1 & 2 should be done anywhere BUT the dealer. #3 you can do yourself (or have someone who specializes in this service perform the work). #4...I can no longer laugh and type at the same time.
Old 08-08-07, 10:27 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

1. clear bra
2. low jack

I just got the 100,000 mile/7 years!!!

She said the GS is a very hot car but I still declined the lowjack, never heard of GS's getting jacked...maybe they do...duno
Old 08-08-07, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

like others said, 3 is the most ridiculous, it never works, and it never will. it's a complete waste. 2 theoretically helps, but practically i am not sure. it definitely doesn't really help much on insurance. 4, nah, it's about how you drive imho. 1 is good, but personally i would check out their work first.
Old 08-08-07, 10:42 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Err... BEFORE i went into the stealership i did alot of research, when they asked me if i wanted those things i laughed and said very nicely 'no thx'... BUT they did get me on some $600 7yr door ding warrenty... the bastards...

Quick Reply: I think i made a mistake