GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Where NOT to put your key

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 08:30 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where NOT to put your key

In the 2007 GS 350 owner's manual, it says: "To avoid serious deterioration, do not leave the electronic key within 3 feet of ... recharging cell phone or cordless phone or table top lamps."

Huh???

Don't most people put their billfold, their keys and their cell phone on their charger next to their bedside lamp, so that you'll remember to pick up their keys, their wallet and their cell phone when heading out?

Is this REALLY a problem? Are you avoiding this, and, if not, are you experiencing any problems? I don't care about the lamp, but I would like to leave the cell phone on the charger beside my billfold and my keys.
Old 02-20-07, 07:30 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

I had my key in the same pocket as my cell phone once and the car said "the key is not detected". I only had it happened once. Since then, I always leave them in separate pockets.
Old 02-20-07, 08:19 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default Pocket problem

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
I had my key in the same pocket as my cell phone once and the car said "the key is not detected". I only had it happened once. Since then, I always leave them in separate pockets.
I could learn to put them in another pocket -- Are other people experiencing this pocket problem?

How about the charging issue?
Old 02-20-07, 10:14 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I'm guessing this is normal talk for RF interference. I wouldnt worry too much about it. But I can see it picking up some issues as its normally the smaller device that has less shielding.
Old 02-20-07, 01:08 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default Are others having problems or not?

Originally Posted by starstreak
I'm guessing this is normal talk for RF interference. I wouldnt worry too much about it. But I can see it picking up some issues as its normally the smaller device that has less shielding.
Yes, BUT, if others are putting their billfold, their keys and their cell phone on their charger next to each other regularly, are you having problems or not? Thanks!
Old 02-20-07, 01:36 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

As stated, the warning is to minimize RF interference. I believe "serious deterioration" is referring to signal quality not damage to the key or your cell phone. Worst case scenario is that you will have to step closer to your car to unlock the door. It's just like when you put your cell phone too close to a cordless phone or a speakerphone, you hear a buzz on your regular phone if your cell phone is receiving text data or a call. It happens all the time at my office. If I place my cell phone too close to my Plantronics cordless headset, it will buzz like crazy. Similarly, if I place my Plantronics headset receiver too close to my speakerphone, both will buzz.
Old 02-20-07, 01:52 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

so if I always have my key in my pocket and have my phones clipped to my belt on the same side as the key, your saying this is a problem?

just need clarification... b
Old 02-20-07, 01:53 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

You must have a nextel.
They put out alot of power and cause devices to buzz more than my other cell phones.

but back to the question, no, I dont have any issues with my remote causing issues.
Old 02-20-07, 01:59 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jace7
so if I always have my key in my pocket and have my phones clipped to my belt on the same side as the key, your saying this is a problem?

No problem there. I had key on top of my phone in the SAME pocket. That was the only time that it displayed "key not detected". Since you have your phone on the belt and the key is in the pocket, they are far apart enough that you should not have any issue.
Old 02-20-07, 09:58 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jace7

Worst case scenario - the remote's range will be diminished and your cell phone signal won't be as strong. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, if you keep your phone too close to the key for an extended period of time, the solder joints will melt and the PC board inside will catch fire causing the batteries in the remote to leak battery acid onto your skin eventually causing a gaping hole to form where bacteria will enter your body and a nasty infection will form which will then cause bacteremia which will ultimately lead to death. Outside of that it's not a problem.
Old 02-20-07, 10:10 PM
kissbang
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Worst case scenario - the remote's range will be diminished and your cell phone signal won't be as strong. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, if you keep your phone too close to the key for an extended period of time, the solder joints will melt and the PC board inside will catch fire causing the batteries in the remote to leak battery acid onto your skin eventually causing a gaping hole to form where bacteria will enter your body and a nasty infection will form which will then cause bacteremia which will ultimately lead to death. Outside of that it's not a problem.
OMG Are you serious??

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-20-07, 10:14 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Nice Rob, NICE!!!!
Btw, leaving tomorrow moring to head to San Fran, then Napa, then Calistoga Ranch till Monday.
Old 02-22-07, 12:28 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like fun! Have a safe trip Jason.
Old 02-22-07, 05:29 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
In the 2007 GS 350 owner's manual, it says: "To avoid serious deterioration, do not leave the electronic key within 3 feet of ... recharging cell phone or cordless phone or table top lamps."

Huh???

Don't most people put their billfold, their keys and their cell phone on their charger next to their bedside lamp, so that you'll remember to pick up their keys, their wallet and their cell phone when heading out?

Is this REALLY a problem? Are you avoiding this, and, if not, are you experiencing any problems? I don't care about the lamp, but I would like to leave the cell phone on the charger beside my billfold and my keys.

Steve,

I'm glad you posted this because without intending to it seems you solved a mystery for me with keyless system. Nothing would work unless i got the FOB close to ignition button by holding against windshield over steering wheel area during a trip stop i made to Tampa area. From your post it seems it was due to me having a charger hooked up in the car cig lighter, well within the 3 feet of key FOB and for that matter within 2 feet of the entire keyless system though I thought it was off or at ready I should say. As others have indicated I think the outlined... do not do...is to avoid what may interfere with it working rather than do damage to the FOB.
Old 02-22-07, 09:36 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Steve,

I'm glad you posted this because without intending to it seems you solved a mystery for me with keyless system. Nothing would work unless i got the FOB close to ignition button by holding against windshield over steering wheel area during a trip stop i made to Tampa area. From your post it seems it was due to me having a charger hooked up in the car cig lighter, well within the 3 feet of key FOB and for that matter within 2 feet of the entire keyless system though I thought it was off or at ready I should say. As others have indicated I think the outlined... do not do...is to avoid what may interfere with it working rather than do damage to the FOB.

I wish more people would report in that they've tried put their cell phone on the charger next to their key and

1) They had no problem

OR

2) They had the following problems _____

Quick Reply: Where NOT to put your key