GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Cold weather! whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 07:32 PM
jjpxlala
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather! whats wrong?

what is wrong with my car!!!
at cold weather my car vibrate really bad when I start the car!
my rpm is at 1000rpm in drive (while at red light) and it vibrate? anyone have this problem?
Old 12-05-06, 08:33 PM
ajcsanders
Driver

I have this problem. It's as if one cylinder is not firing; it shakes the whole car for about 20 seconds then gradually dies away. I've had my car for about a year and this has happend about 5 times. Needless to say the dealer is clueless. It only ever happened once at the traffic lights.
Old 12-06-06, 06:02 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjpxlala
what is wrong with my car!!!
at cold weather my car vibrate really bad when I start the car!
my rpm is at 1000rpm in drive (while at red light) and it vibrate? anyone have this problem?
The next time this happens near or at a stop sign, put it in neutral and see if the vibration stops and then place it back in drive and see if it comes back right away and if so, report that to your dealer, and they can evaluate from that point.
Old 12-06-06, 06:58 AM
sbrown02
Pole Position

The cold weather arrived in Kansas City over a week ago, and my car has a distinct vibration when it's cold (below 35 degrees F., and in the first 20 or so minutes of warmup) outside and the car is in Drive and at a stop. If I put the car in neutral or after the car warms up a good 20 minutes, the vibration goes away. It also does not vibrate when temps are warmer. When cold the RPM's do seem to idle pretty high, and I find myself either putting the transmission in N at stops, or pressing the brake peddle pretty hard so the car doesn't leap ahead in tight traffic.

At first I thought my car had that massage feature you can get with the LS460, and at no extra charge no less. But then it goes away after the car has warmed up. The vibration in my GS is not a harsh shaking or rattling of the whole car, but rather a subtle vibration in the transmission so that when I'm at a stoplight waiting for it to turn green, my bones literally feel a vibration sensation. It's kind of hard to explain, you'd have to feel it.

I'm curious if RWD owners in colder climates are experiencing this, or is this more a function of the AWD transmission?

Also, for those in extreme weather climates (Canada, MN, Alaska, etc.) how are your new GS's fairing in the colder winter weather?

BTW, the vibration for me isn't such an issue that I'm going to take it in for service. If it get's worse I might, but for now I'm just chalking it up as the affect of cold weather on any given vehicle.
Old 12-06-06, 08:05 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

It got cold here (~32) in PA this week and I noticed the same thing in the morning. I just put it in neutral when I at the stop light. By the time I get to my office, everything is okay. I just assume that the car is cold and it needs more time to warm up. I have an AWD too.

Maybe SGT can chime in and see he experiences the same thing.
Old 12-06-06, 09:23 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I notice the vibration mainly when I cold-start my car in the garage. I also feel a very slight vibration when I'm stopped at a traffic light. I think lowering the car made the vibration more pronounced as a result of the increased spring rate. As sbrown02 mentioned, it's not bone-jarring, but you definitely notice it. Even when the car is fully warmed up, I still feel slight vibrations on the seat and steering wheel when my car is at a complete stop and the brake pedal is fully engaged. I don't think I ever felt this before I changed the springs.
Old 12-06-06, 09:49 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting observation, SGT. Had some cold mornings down here, but I haven't noticed any vibrations. Also, I keep my car parked outside and have stock springs... Of course, since I said it now, I will get those tomorrow morning. But than, with a seat heater up and some "quality" contents on Sirius (can't wait to get my satellite) it might worked out very good
Old 12-06-06, 12:37 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

I do not understand why you guys are not reporting this to the dealer.This is something you should not have to live with on a $50,000 car.
Old 12-06-06, 12:50 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

The only reason I'm not reporting this to the dealer is because I believe the vibration is the result from the aftermarket springs.
Old 12-06-06, 01:06 PM
NJSID
Driver

well guys here in NJ two days ago it was 32 degrees and leaving for lunch I noticed something but my passenger said it was a deisel car/truck next to us also staring..now i'm not so sure....will advise i also have AWD car is 3weeks old!
Old 12-06-06, 01:33 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SGT
I notice the vibration mainly when I cold-start my car in the garage. I also feel a very slight vibration when I'm stopped at a traffic light. I think lowering the car made the vibration more pronounced as a result of the increased spring rate. As sbrown02 mentioned, it's not bone-jarring, but you definitely notice it. Even when the car is fully warmed up, I still feel slight vibrations on the seat and steering wheel when my car is at a complete stop and the brake pedal is fully engaged. I don't think I ever felt this before I changed the springs.
My car has always been like this, even before lowering and changing the wheels/tires. When I had a RWD GS300 as a loaner it did not have the same issue. The RWD is a smoother driving car compared to the AWD.
Old 12-06-06, 06:40 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

I think it's a cold weather issue and once the car warm up, there is no problem. It's not a big deal that I'd have my dealership pick up the car to check it out. I'd just ask them next time when the car is back in for service.
Old 12-06-06, 08:30 PM
jjpxlala
Rookie

my vibration is really bad. not little. its will make noise and shake the car like its about to break! 50000dollar? I had audi rs6 that had problems so I got lexus and OMG>>> I dont have time to take it to dealer but I will try soon.

do you guys think its the nf210 springs?
anyone take it to dealer yet to find out what is causing to vib?

Last edited by jjpxlala; 12-06-06 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-06-06, 08:31 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odd I have not noticeds any abnormal vibrations on cold starts or runs, last season or the little bit of the cold season this year. There is a cold start injector on the 300 engine and will cause you to run slightly richer to help on a cold start but while I do not recall the temperature at which it fires I am sure it was very low.

Now there is a posibility that the signal feeding the injector is wrong and it "thinks" it is colder out that it really is and is firing when i should not be.

That is the only other thing aside from what is metioned I could come up with.

--Pete
Old 12-06-06, 08:36 PM
jjpxlala
Rookie

Originally Posted by kb2yza
Odd I have not noticeds any abnormal vibrations on cold starts or runs, last season or the little bit of the cold season this year. There is a cold start injector on the 300 engine and will cause you to run slightly richer to help on a cold start but while I do not recall the temperature at which it fires I am sure it was very low.

Now there is a posibility that the signal feeding the injector is wrong and it "thinks" it is colder out that it really is and is firing when i should not be.

That is the only other thing aside from what is metioned I could come up with.

--Pete
so... are you saying the ECU is wrong? defect?

Quick Reply: Cold weather! whats wrong?