GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350AWD over the Acura RL...reasons, justifications, advantages?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-06, 02:08 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Both are great cars and of course, being on a Lexus forum, we will say get the GS. However it is for your mom and I think the RL is a perfect mom car and with the deals you can get on them, for your mom, it maybe a better buy....

Then buy YOURSELF the GS

One thing you didn't mention was speed, the GS 350 is a full second quicker than the RL in 0-60 and the 1/4 mile... makes for easier passing and merging in traffic.
No comparison between the RL and the GS350. I would pick the GS350 over the RL anytime... However, the GS300 is another story.
Old 11-12-06, 03:03 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Geez- Jman- those are some absolutely SICK rides you have- what do you do for a living?
Old 11-13-06, 02:46 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Gohawks, you're lucky and (a rarity) in that you have excellent service out of an Acura dealer. However I bet my last time you realize you made a mistake buying Acura f you ever have a more seriosu problem and need anykind of ok above the dealer from Acura corporate to cover it. My money's on "its how its supposed to be" as a response to your problem. But good luck with it in the meantime.
I don't think you can make blanket statements like that. On a national average I'm willing to bet money that a Lexus dealer will have over all better service than an Acura dealer, but it really is a dealer thing. I've had nothing but good service from both my Acura and Lexus dealers. Neither were outstandingly better than the other. Both treated you nice, got the job done, and had no hassles. I had things covered under warranty from both dealerships no questions asked. Also remember Lexus dealers have used the "That is how is suppsed to be" excuse as well in the past. It is a dealer thing. You have some good ones and some bad ones.
Old 11-13-06, 06:32 AM
HemantS
Driver

Unless everything else was absolutely a tie, I wouldn't pick one over the other for the sake of reliability.

GS350 is faster, RL handles better, styling -> GS wins!
Old 11-13-06, 02:32 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

I can make blanket statements when I know enough ppl across the country who have bought Acura and have told me their stories from various Acura dealers. And as a FORMER Acura club member who used to set up Acura meets, I know how the vehicles seem like they are a better deal than they are when you buy em but the company behind them is rotten to the core.
Old 11-13-06, 05:39 PM
HemantS
Driver

I disagree NauticalX. The fact that acura stepped up to the plate and offered a 7 year warranty on transmission for all TL owners is more than a lot of other manufacturers have done.

I'm sure Lexus is even better but I wouldn't call Acura horrible by any stretch.
Old 11-13-06, 06:53 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HemantS
I disagree NauticalX. The fact that acura stepped up to the plate and offered a 7 year warranty on transmission for all TL owners is more than a lot of other manufacturers have done.

I'm sure Lexus is even better but I wouldn't call Acura horrible by any stretch.
True. Initially Acura didn't even know what the cause was and had tried two ro three different fixes. Once the figured it out (oil jet problem) they initiated a recall to have the transmissions retrofitted and still kept the 100K mile warranty in effect more as peace of mind for owners. I even heard of a couple of instances where some "good will" was granted for cars that were slightly past the warrany (i.e. 105K miles).

Question, and this isn't a loaded question, I'm truly asking this with no ulterior motive. I truly don't know.

Has Toyota/Lexus instituted any warranty extension to vehicles affected by their transmission problems? (Camry, Avalon, RX, ES)

Same with the sludge problem that was occurring with their V6s? Although my feeling is that the sludge problem was more from lack of maintenance by owners, but Toyota/Lexus got some bad press nonetheless.
Old 11-13-06, 07:13 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

At the rate they were failing, they wouldk have had a class action suit had they not replaced peopl's trannys for free. I dont believe the sludge problem is as widespread or as sudden and noticable as a tranny failure. Nevertheless, if it becomes more severe Id expect toyota to step up to the plate and fix it and extend the warranty. if they don't , I bet someone will try to make it happen with a class action.
Old 11-13-06, 07:16 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by HemantS

Speak once you've owned one and had a problem youve needed solved , or talk to enough people who have owned them and you'll call them horrible. Im not talking abotu the dealers here, im talking about Acura corporate, my Acura dealer was very good I must admit- it was Acura corporate who should be renamed as- "king of used car salemen training school".
Old 11-13-06, 07:24 PM
Firstlps
Driver

At the rate they were failing, they wouldk have had a class action suit had they not replaced peopl's trannys for free. I dont believe the sludge problem is as widespread or as sudden and noticable as a tranny failure. Nevertheless, if it becomes more severe Id expect toyota to step up to the plate and fix it and extend the warranty. if they don't , I bet someone will try to make it happen with a class action.
There is a class action settlement for Toyota or Lexus car for te oil gel
problem. I have an 2000 Toyota Avalon that is cover by ths settlement for
eight years. Although I have not had a problem with my car.
Old 11-13-06, 08:03 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speak once you've owned one and had a problem youve needed solved , or talk to enough people who have owned them and you'll call them horrible. Im not talking abotu the dealers here, im talking about Acura corporate, my Acura dealer was very good I must admit- it was Acura corporate who should be renamed as- "king of used car salemen training school".

See I may have to disagree with you on this. If a dealer acted swiftly to replace a transmission, as mine did, I'm sure they had backing for corporate. My understanding is that they needed to get approval from corporate before ordering the replacement transmissions. So there isn't much they could've done if corporate didn't agree with them.

In my case, to this day I'm not even sure my transmission was even failing. I had ONE, ONE weird shift. I was hypersensitive to it because I had begun to hear the rumors so I contacted my dealer. They immediately told me to bring it in to have the transmission replaced. Even ME the customer wanted to ask them... "are you sure?", but who am I to argue?

I still think that it's a dealer issue. My dealer has won numerous Precision Awards so maybe corporate gives them a bit more lattitude versus another dealer. If that's the case, it would back up my thoughts on this.

I put very little credence in class actions being the yardstick by which to measure this. In today's litigious happy environment, people will sue if their windshield wipers streak.

Some of you may remember the floating decimal point flaw in the first Intel Pentium chips. It was such a minor issue that the only people who would notice the problem was anyone doing very intensive calculations, and even then it was minor. Not to mention that Intel was offering to replace the chips. Well big surprise that some payday seeking lawfirm still filed a class action suit.
Old 11-13-06, 08:43 PM
LexFather

There is no true argument. Name one time and post it please, an award where Acura was #1 in quality
1. Initial
2. After 3 or 5 years.
And please post a time when Acura was #1 in dealer service?

It has never happened. Again, Acura is a reliable brand , they are always above the industry average but Lexus SETS THE BAR for quality and customer service.

Of course some dealers are better than others. Hell there are some Lexus dealers I won't go to.

As a WHOLE, not your experience, not mine, as a WHOLE, Lexus is the BAR/the STANDARD for quality and service when it comes to the automobile and they have set it SO HIGH, that other companies outside of the automobile business study the Lexus model.

Again, Acura is a reliable brand but still not near a Lexus level.

Not sure how anyone car really debate this fact.
Old 11-13-06, 08:45 PM
LexFather

Here is a 2000 release, Lexus #1 in dealer service 4 years in a row.
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...se.asp?ID=2039
Old 11-13-06, 08:48 PM
LexFather

Lexus Ranks Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Dealer Service

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 20 July 2006

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...asp?ID=2006119

Old 11-13-06, 08:48 PM
LexFather

Lexus Leads in Customer Loyalty

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...wer_lexus.html

December 13, 2005
Lexus leads the industry in retaining the highest percentage of new-vehicle owners, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2005 Customer Retention Study. The study, now in its third year, measures the percentage of new-vehicle buyers and lessees who replace a vehicle that was previously purchased new with a new vehicle from the same nameplate.

With a 3.5 percentage-point increase from 2004, Lexus ranks highest, retaining 63.0 percent of its customers. The industry average is 49.6 percent.

Lexus is followed in the rankings by Toyota (62.6%), Honda (59.9%), Chevrolet (57.3%) and Hyundai (56.3%), respectively.

"By satisfying its customers on many different levels, Lexus consistently enjoys high retention rates," said Neal Oddes, director of product research at J.D. Power and Associates.

"Customer retention is extremely valuable in the auto industry because it costs manufacturers less to keep existing customers than to attract new ones, and strong retention fosters favorable word of mouth," Oddes said.

Quick Reply: GS350AWD over the Acura RL...reasons, justifications, advantages?