GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350AWD over the Acura RL...reasons, justifications, advantages?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 02:47 PM
mcgrady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350AWD over the Acura RL...reasons, justifications, advantages?

Hello fellow CLers,

It's a great forum, and I've narrowed down the car choices for my mom into two. The Lexus GS350AWD+ML and the Acura RL tech with PAX/CMBS (both 2007). I'll give you Pros and cons as I see them of both, and I'd like for you to convince me which one is the better choice.

First with the RL (currently in the lead for safety reasons)

Pros

*it's CMBS (collision mitigation breaking system) actually applies the brakes instead of just doing brake assist/beeping
*Impeccable safety, only car other than the crown vic to receive 5 stars across the boards from NHSTAA
*Price- I've gotten it as low as 46k OTD
*It comes with mp3/WMA (10 speakers, 5.1, dvd-a)
*side sunshades
*SH-AWD receving better reviews than the GS350AWD
*PAX runflats standards
*navigation with live traffic/xm included
*low key--mom will never get mugged

Cons
*no rain sensing wipers
*bland styling, looks like an accord
*low resale value
*acura namebadge
*SOHC (someone explain what this means, is it cutting corners)
*interior not as "functional" as the GS

GS350AWD+ML

Pros
*Lexus nameplate/distinction
*rain sensing wipers
*ML stereo (albeit without MP3, come on lexus it's 2007)
*the plethora of airbags
*the newly upgraded model/engine will be around for awile, can't say that for RL
*softer ride,
*touchscreen navi...right?
*Park assist

Cons
*I've gotten 50725 OTD for this package...is ~4K premium justified?
*I don't mean to bash but the toyota released the new camry a decade ahead of schedule...the rear like a camry and the front like an avalon...I know it will always be Honda-> Acura and Toyota-> Lexus, but this is really a pet peeve (and no, I'm not going to look at German Cars, I'll just accept this--, look at Infiniti they're doing it without the blatant resemblance)
*How can I get CMBS as an option? I don't see it on the lexus site...
*Is safety up to par?
*Np mp3

So, I've tried to be as impartial as possible...and these are really the thoughts going through my head right now...I know rain-sensing wipers, styling, and small things like CMBS--are not important to most of you--but these things are keeping me up at night haha...

I'm humbly asking you to sway me to the lexus side...Tell me what advantages there are. I appreciate everything in advance.
Old 11-08-06, 03:14 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Hmmm.... I don't have much experience with Acura... Only thing I can think of is that... the seats were very uncomfortable in my friends TL...

But, I can tell you... what I don't like about GS so far....
*small interior - I'm only 6'... and still adjusting to the low roof...
*small trunk space - I can barely fit 2 golf bags...
*need bigger brakes!! - Maybe it's fixed on 07 model??
*softer ride - You had this as Pros??

And, couple of pros you missed on GS...
GS have 6-speed transmission and better fuel economy!!

At the end... it's all about pesonal preferennce!!
I liked GS design better then anything else out there!! That was enough reason for me....
Old 11-08-06, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

I've driven and reviewed both the RL and the GS300 AWD ( not the 350 AWD ). They are both superb machines, but if it were my choice, I would take the RL. The RL had more durable-feeling sheet metal, doors, and hardware, an outstanding paint job, a first-class interior and trim,plenty of power from the V6 ( though much-criticized for this, IMO the car doesn't need a V8 ) and a superb and unequalled AWD system.
The GS, in turn, had superb fit-and-finish inside, a paint job even better than the Acura's, and whisper-quiet performance.
Old 11-08-06, 04:54 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say both are great cars. I personally like the Lexus because of the the style and reputation. The Acura RL was something I was dismissed at since it is TOO SMALL TO BE a flagship of Acura. Remember the old Acura RL?? Or the Legend? Those were beautiful long looking Acura Flagships, and this one is dissapointing for me since its not a flagship. Also it looks too much like a widen Accord or so in the front. Otherwise the car handles and accerates very nicely and is more sportier than the Lexus. But for me, buying a flagship of a company better be worth more money and better LOOK like one.
Old 11-08-06, 05:41 PM
planoag
Rookie

I checked out both before buying the GS and I thought the RL was smaller (more cramped) inside and the ride was a little to firm for my tastes. I also thought the looks were very hum, hum. I did like the bigger trunk though ;-) I've also think the service is better with the Lexus (I get a free loaner car when I do service). In short, the GS was my style ;-)
Old 11-08-06, 06:56 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The problem with Acura is they are not a luxury brand nor will they ever be. They treat their customers like crap, their so called customer service agents are in the same building as honda just a floor above them and they are frequently interchanged. Know anyone who's had a problem with their Honda and needed help from corporate? I bet my last dime corporate told them "its normal" or "thats not covered by warranty". So you've got Honda trained agents trained with their 2 catch phrases and their field agents are trained the same. Take it from a guy who's never been in a fight ever, pretty laid back guy, but the way the Acura rep handled my complaint was so absurd and shocking I felt like knocking his lieing lights out. Nothing but problems from my TL and two family members and friends got so pissed with their RL experience that they sold at a huge loss just to get out of the vehicle. Thats just my experience with Acura, but it may not be yours, although I wouldnt bet my life on it. Go with the Lexus.
Old 11-08-06, 07:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

- GS got 5 stars in stricter Europen NCAP tests. Honda has never done well in European tests.
- GS has 2 knee airbags.
- to most people who have had runflats, having them is negative :-)
Old 11-08-06, 07:32 PM
HemantS
Driver

1. runflats are a disaster - avoid like the plague, if you don't believe me check the reviews on www.tirerack.com
2. don't spend the money on Mark Levinson - premium is plenty
3. Acura handles tighter, more of a drivers car
4. GS handles softer, more of a luxury feel
5. engine in the lexus is more advanced, hence it is much peppier

Comes down to preferences - I've heard some people getting new RL's in the low 40's, if you can swing it, it's unbeatable.
Old 11-09-06, 10:24 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I could've bought either. Lexus is in my mind with all the pros, a much better machine than the RL.
It's all up to what you want, but I believe the lexus is safer, sturdier, confort/sport suspension/ quieter better resale, ex.
My preference is any LEXUS over the same comparable Acura.
Old 11-09-06, 12:42 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best thing about Lexus to me is service.. where else can you bring your car in for nothing more than an oil change in the middle of winter and they have your loaner sitting outside already running and warmed up .. or if you decide to hang around and wait you have practiaclly a full kitchen at your disposal with a fridge stocked with a variety of cold drinks, 15 flavors of coffee, tea or hot chocolate available, real glasses and coffee cups.. and of course home made cookies then once you've got your drink and snack you stroll on over to the big leather couch in front of the 50in plasma screen hanging over the fire place and chill .. enuf said..
Old 11-09-06, 01:50 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

The Acura RL looks like a Honda Accord. If I'm spending that much $$$, I'm getting a Lexus!

If I was considering an RL, I'd probably just get a loaded Accord and save even more money. I had 3 Accords and they are good cars.

I mean really - Who could get excited over this???

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 11-09-06 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-09-06, 02:33 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Back when I got my car the GS350 wasn't available. If I could do it all over again I would've purchased an RL with an a-spec wheels/tires and suspension. I don't think the GS300 AWD is as functional and is significantly less of a road performer than the RL. Please don't ask me why I didn't purchase an RL, that's another story!
Old 11-11-06, 06:06 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Default Go with Lexus

Acura will always be Honda! If you don't believe me, go to a acura showroom and look at the name printed on the windows. All windows on acuras print "Honda". If lexus can put Lexus name on windows, why can't acura?

Coming from an Acura TL, I have to say that Lexus built better cars. Lexus definitely score better in attention to details. Acuras are great cars, but they are no Lexus.

I did look into RL before purchasing the GS. Personally, I think GS has more interior room than RL. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think GS is alot quieter than RL.
Old 11-11-06, 06:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
The Acura RL looks like a Honda Accord. If I'm spending that much $$$, I'm getting a Lexus!

If I was considering an RL, I'd probably just get a loaded Accord and save even more money. I had 3 Accords and they are good cars.

I mean really - Who could get excited over this???

I dont care what features it has, the RL looks just like another bland Accord just with fancy headlights. This car has ZERO prescence on the road.

GS350 > RL any day.
Old 11-11-06, 07:09 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
The problem with Acura is they are not a luxury brand nor will they ever be. They treat their customers like crap, their so called customer service agents are in the same building as honda just a floor above them and they are frequently interchanged. Know anyone who's had a problem with their Honda and needed help from corporate? I bet my last dime corporate told them "its normal" or "thats not covered by warranty". So you've got Honda trained agents trained with their 2 catch phrases and their field agents are trained the same. Take it from a guy who's never been in a fight ever, pretty laid back guy, but the way the Acura rep handled my complaint was so absurd and shocking I felt like knocking his lieing lights out. Nothing but problems from my TL and two family members and friends got so pissed with their RL experience that they sold at a huge loss just to get out of the vehicle. Thats just my experience with Acura, but it may not be yours, although I wouldnt bet my life on it. Go with the Lexus.
Ditto for me. I was into Honda for a while (look at my signature), and my experience with Acura was so bad that I will never give them another dime of my $ to earn. The RL is a nice car, particularly at the current price, but I honestly believe that almost anything with a Lexus badge is better built.

If you get the RL and have no problems with it, it will be a great car. However, if you do have issues, especially the kind that are tough to resolve (rattles, squeaks, vibrations, etc.), you will be out of luck as you deal with layers of incompetence, both at the dealership and corporate levels, from people who do not understand what customer service is about. There are, of course, exceptional Acura dealers out there, but that's sadly the exception, not the rule.

Go to the Acura forum and read about how poorly Acura has handled issues with early buyers of their so-called flagship (people who paid MSRP for a car now selling for many $1000s below)... the door handle problem and XM refresh issue being just 2 of those. In fact, check out how they've screwed over a few people with auto. transmission problems on the TL, or premature clutch wear problems on manual TLs.

Luxury is part vehicle design and part ownership experience, and Acura is seriously lacking in the latter.

Quick Reply: GS350AWD over the Acura RL...reasons, justifications, advantages?