GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Buyer's Remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 02:17 PM
paul_phily
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer's Remorse?

I recently purchased a 2005 GS300AWD, loaded, and am having second thoughts about trading it for the Acura RL or Infiniti M. The M's interior layout doesn't please me, but the driveability of the car does. Regarding the Acura, everyone seems to be really praising the SH-AWD and 300 HP.

What's a guy to do??
Old 10-29-05, 02:28 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on what you're looking for in a car.

GS300 AWD: Comfort and luxury; decent power.
M34/45: Ample power.
RL: A little of both of the above.

I love my GS300 AWD and wouldn't trade it for either of the above.
Old 10-29-05, 02:47 PM
Niloy63
Rookie

Well, if you want more power, couldn't you go for the GS430 then?

Last edited by Niloy63; 01-04-06 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-29-05, 03:06 PM
paul_phily
Driver School Candidate

Niloy63 - I'd love the 430, but the snow gere in Philly makes FWD/AWD neccessary for me.

Honestly, because I don't particularily like the interior of the M (just my opinion), I'm torn between keeping the GS300 with 245 HP or switching to the RL's 300 HP. Don't know much about Acura's SH-AWD, but from what I read, it's supposed to be pretty nifty.

I'll probably just stay with the GS - can't go wrong with any of those cars and since I own the GS, may as well stay...
Old 10-29-05, 03:11 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

I've heard that the RL's "300 HP" doesn't really feel like 300hp, so if you're considering the RL solely for that power, I'd reconsider.
Old 10-30-05, 08:03 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

Originally Posted by paul_phily
Niloy63 - I'd love the 430, but the snow gere in Philly makes FWD/AWD neccessary for me.

Honestly, because I don't particularily like the interior of the M (just my opinion), I'm torn between keeping the GS300 with 245 HP or switching to the RL's 300 HP. Don't know much about Acura's SH-AWD, but from what I read, it's supposed to be pretty nifty.

I'll probably just stay with the GS - can't go wrong with any of those cars and since I own the GS, may as well stay...
You know, tires play a more important role in winter driveability than whether your vehicle is FWD/AWD or RWD. With VDIM and snow tires the GS430 should be able to take you through some pretty serious weather. Most tests have shown that RWD cars w/ snow tires perform better in snow than their FWD/AWD counterparts w/ All-Season tires. Heck, many parts of Germany get tons of snow and what have they been driving for decades? That's right, RWD Mercedes Benzes and BMWs.

Here are some threads you should look at:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=VDIM

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=VDIM

If you are seriously considering getting rid of the GS, I say go with the M35. The Acura RL doesn't really have 300hp anyway. With the new SAE horspower measurements, the figure was reduced to around 290hp. I personally feel the Infiniti is more fun to drive and feels more responsive than the Acura, probably due to the greater torque output of it's 3.5 liter V6.

Last edited by jwaters; 10-30-05 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-30-05, 12:03 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

If that's what you comparing...then keep the GS.......i on the other hand am really really feeling the CLS....it somewhat more expensive ...a RWD car....but me likey likey mucho....
Old 10-30-05, 12:51 PM
paul_phily
Driver School Candidate

Jwaters -

I read those threads. While I'm not disputing the consenus that the RWD & VDIM are just as good, I really find that hard to believe. Grant it, I don't have much experience with RWD, but my one & only experience was a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe. I purchased it late in 02, right before the winter. That winter was hard here and the G was paralized. Some folks say it's becase of the low ground clearance on that vehicle, some say because of the sport tires, some say the staggered tire setup has a negative effect, and others say that's what to expect from RWD. Just nervous about getting a RWD again and being stuck everywhere...again.

In fact, it was this discussion that prompted my actions to investigate the RL. Some folks are saying that the SH-AWD will prove it's valor in bad weather conditions and get around much better than my GS and the M.

I'm not sure what's really true at this point and wonder if any really knows the difference between the AWD systems.

So far, I am happy with the GS, so I'll just stay as is, but thanks for all the info.

Paul
Old 10-30-05, 02:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

but you already have awd, or are you talking as supposed to gs430?

AWD helps you gain traction, it will not help you when you are sliding around on ice... Lots of people thing AWD is some kind of miracle, and then drive themselves to the wall in winter... Remember that awd works only when you are powering your wheels, in case of ice and normal roads and skidding, i would think VDIM to be more efficient because it works all the time and will stop skidding and skating...
Old 10-30-05, 02:09 PM
LexFather

SH-AWD main advatage is really not in the snow, your not going to be driving 60mph in a 30mph zone in the snow. SH-AWD does haev a good advantage in the dry, b/c its the only wheel system that transfer power left to right as well as front to back. Itsis pretty much the best AWD system offered.

The thing is you have to push the snot out the car to get SH-AWD to activate and if you look at the RL peak pwer, your driving at 6000rpm to get it, so when will u actually use it?

The RL if you look at tests, its 300hp in name only. It has 260lbs of torque and the car weighs 4000lbs. The acceleration times are only a tick or 2 more than a 245hp GS 300 AWD.

The M has 280hp and is quicker than the RL with 300hp, it also is faster than the GS.

Its funny how things are marketed, SH-AWD makes more sense in a sports car, where the outer limits will be explored and the system will be put to good use.
Old 10-30-05, 03:46 PM
paul_phily
Driver School Candidate

Good thread guys, and some excellent points made/lessons learned.

For those living in areas with snow, we'll see how well the GS (and the RL/M/530xi) perform. I'm looking forward to it...
Old 10-30-05, 03:54 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The thing is you have to push the snot out the car to get SH-AWD to activate and if you look at the RL peak pwer, your driving at 6000rpm to get it, so when will u actually use it?

You don't have to push the car hard at all. This is a misunderstanding of the cars system. The SH-AWD transfers torque to the rear under any acceleration. The harder you accelerate the more torwque it will transfer. Same with side to side. the faster you corner the more it will transfer side to side torque and speed up the rear outside wheel. It is not an on off system. Under lower speeds it will moderately transfer torque as needed if at all. If the SH-AWD system is not being activated than it wasn't needed under that conditions anyway so no harm no foul.
Old 10-30-05, 04:22 PM
Zetztex
Driver School Candidate

I purchased a GS 300 in March and am having second thoughts too. Several times I've felt a jerking feeling when taking off and have heard of another person with the same problem. Also, have had the console replaced once at Lexus's expense and once at mine because the maple gets scratches that spread. They miss designed it because the wood is where the seat belt can hit it and they should have come on up with the leather like all the other models. I had a GS 300 2001 that was wonderful and never had any trouble with it. The dealership just says it's my fault about the console so haven't had much luck with them.
Old 10-30-05, 05:08 PM
paul_phily
Driver School Candidate

Zetztex -

So if you were to trade the GS what would you consider?

BTW, IMHO, you shouldn't be responsible to replace the console - I know exactly what you're talking about
Old 10-30-05, 05:41 PM
Niloy63
Rookie

Originally Posted by paul_phily

Ahhhhh, I see bro. That really sucks. Well, I hope you find the right car for yourself. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Buyer's Remorse?