GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DVD-A dosnt play on ML

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-05, 06:33 AM
soflGSguy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD-A dosnt play on ML

I'm going intoday for my 5k oil chang, and i am going to ask them for a 3rd time to see why my ML dosnt play DVD-A ? it play dvd movies with break on but dosnt play DVD-a AT all, any ideas what i should do, should i ask for a new sound system? ask for money back because 2k and dosnt play sournd sound? thanks
Old 10-03-05, 07:59 AM
dandd2
Lead Lap

i betting even if they say dvd-a doesnt play you'll keep the car..
Old 10-03-05, 08:04 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkim1120
i betting even if they say dvd-a doesnt play you'll keep the car..
It's supposed to play DVD-A so it's the dealer's responsibility to make it play DVD-A. I'd guess a simple replacement of the optical media drive something along those lines would fix the problem.
Old 10-04-05, 04:50 AM
soflGSguy
Rookie

they tryed to see whats wrong and couldnt find it, they tryed 2 other cars with ml and they dont play? could it be a bug ? no idea they said wit 1-2months and see if its a wide spread problem
Old 10-04-05, 10:11 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Default DVD-A not playing...

I do not have a GS yet but I am seriously looking at one. I am interested in DVD-A so I have been reading as much as I can about the surround systems in each of the cars I have been reasearching. The ML system does have a problem with DVD-A's in that it cannot use the advanced 5.1 track; it can only use the 2 channel advanced stereo track.

Are you saying it cannot play at all or it cannot play 5.1 surround sound? If it is the latter, please refer to the quote from Drex at the bottom of my post. As you may know, a DVD-A has multiple tracks- a 5.1 "advanced" surround sound , an advanced stereo mix, and usually a DVD video compatible 5.1 surround sound track. The player will usually decide which track to use. Since the ML system cannot play the "advanced" surround sound track, you must force it to use the DVD video track (either DTS or dolby digital 5.1). The instructions are below.

Finally, all of the salesmen I have seen are worthless and I doubt they know anything about this.

Let me know if this works for you.

No problem about the questions. I only wish the facts were better--that the GS could play the real DVD-A stuff like the Acura TL (only sounding better!).

The main problem is that the head unit does not have a means to physically connect a 6-ch decoded signal to the amp. The 2-ch S/PDIF connection can deliver 24-bit PCM, so theoretically a 2-ch DVD-A disc will give a little better resoltion than a CD. But CDs sound quite superb in the ML-GS! The same S/PDIF line is how Dolby Digital and DTS bitstreams make it to the amp, so at least we can hear discrete 5.1. But even that is not easy unless the Parking override is done.

The manual talks about disc navigation, but someone sent me these instructions, which may be handy:

DVD-Audio Discs

1) Make sure that MLS is off by accessing the surround button via the DSP button. This will allow you to view the selected disc format in the title/group box

2) Insert DVD A and bring up the first screen by tapping the touch screen. Be sure that the emergency brake is set and the car is in park. Note--you can't do this while your driving!

3) Touch the upper right hand button, "page 2". This will bring you to the second screen.

4) Touch the lower left button on the second screen "search". This will bring you to the third screen.

5) Press the "+" button once to advance to group 2 of the disc.
6) Press "Enter"

7) You should now be on screen 1 again. View the format in the box that is top row, second from the left to see what the format is...ex. Dolby Digital 3/2.1, DTS 3/2 etc.

8) You are looking for the group that provides true discrete 5.1. This will be either DTS 3/2 or DTS 3/2.1 or Dolby Digital 3/2.1. DTS is the preference.

9) Repeat steps 3) through 5) advancing through the groups available on the disc until you find 6).

DVD Video Discs

1) Generally, you can make the proper discrete 5.1 selection via the graphic disc menu which will be displayed on the nav screen after the disc is inserted.

2) Make sure that MLS is off by accessing the surround button via the DSP button. This will allow you to view the selected disc format in the title/group box.

3) You will need to activate the cursor controls by tapping the third box from the left, top row of screen 1.

4) If the cursor controls are over the nomenclature on the menu making them difficult to read, hit the “move” button to relocate them.

5) Select the proper category on the specific menu. It may not be obvious. Look for “audio”, “playback selection”, etc. Sometimes the audio format selection is under language.

6) Select the proper format as in 8) above.

You can also select the format via the DVD Audio Disc procedure outlined above.

DTS 5.1 CDs

1) These will play in discrete 5.1 when inserted.

I hope this is useful!
Regards,
Drex
Old 10-04-05, 02:42 PM
soflGSguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by ckelly14
I do not have a GS yet but I am seriously looking at one. I am interested in DVD-A so I have been reading as much as I can about the surround systems in each of the cars I have been reasearching. The ML system does have a problem with DVD-A's in that it cannot use the advanced 5.1 track; it can only use the 2 channel advanced stereo track.

Are you saying it cannot play at all or it cannot play 5.1 surround sound? If it is the latter, please refer to the quote from Drex at the bottom of my post. As you may know, a DVD-A has multiple tracks- a 5.1 "advanced" surround sound , an advanced stereo mix, and usually a DVD video compatible 5.1 surround sound track. The player will usually decide which track to use. Since the ML system cannot play the "advanced" surround sound track, you must force it to use the DVD video track (either DTS or dolby digital 5.1). The instructions are below.

Finally, all of the salesmen I have seen are worthless and I doubt they know anything about this.

Let me know if this works for you.
I my car the DVD-A dosnt play at all, i am getting a differnt DVD-A disc maybe it is just the Disc, but the weird thing it plays in other DVD-a who knows maybe software problem, but about the sound system i have had a TL"2 week loaner" and it sounds alsome but the ml sounds much better when u turn it up and it clean up FM raido VARY well i have had a comants manytimes saying oh u got that CD when the FM was on, they opend a case number for my problem, so i will update you and everone about it.
Old 10-06-05, 12:31 PM
Niloy63
Rookie

Originally Posted by soflGSguy
I my car the DVD-A dosnt play at all, i am getting a differnt DVD-A disc maybe it is just the Disc, but the weird thing it plays in other DVD-a who knows maybe software problem, but about the sound system i have had a TL"2 week loaner" and it sounds alsome but the ml sounds much better when u turn it up and it clean up FM raido VARY well i have had a comants manytimes saying oh u got that CD when the FM was on, they opend a case number for my problem, so i will update you and everone about it.

Bro, with all due respect, you seriously need to think of taking more time editing what you write. No punctuations, and every other word is misspelled. It just would be a hell of a lot easier to read with better (doesn't have to be perfect by any means) grammar.
Old 10-25-05, 12:10 AM
ilan
Driver School Candidate

Found this:

Mark Levinson, premium audio system provider for Lexus automobiles and SUVs, introduces its "next generation" entertainment system to the U.S. in the all new 2006 Lexus GS luxury sport sedan. This groundbreaking system introduces Lexus owners to a discrete 5.1 home theatre entertainment experience optimized for playback of music, music videos, and movies in the luxurious, mobile environment provided by the 2006 Lexus GS.

"The Mark Levinson audio systems in Lexus vehicles are highly regarded," said Denny Clements, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "And this cutting-edge surround system blends perfectly with our intentions to make the new GS best in every category."

This first Mark Levinson Premium Surround System, designed specifically for the 2006 Lexus GS, is a high performance home theatre on wheels. A product of over three years of engineering and development, the system improves on every aspect of the original Mark Levinson Premium Sound System introduced in 2001. This 14 speaker, 330 watt* system features:

· Discrete 5.1 multi-channel playback via a 7.1 speaker topology
· Mark Levinson Surround (MLS) audio software optimizes discrete 5.1 playback for Multiseat™ listening and provides a surround sound experience for stereo source material.
· Full digital transmission from the digital source to the discrete output topology power amplifiers
· Proprietary metal cone midrange and tweeter transducers
· 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS decoding of DVD Video, DVD Audio and DVD-R discs

"Our latest generation of Mark Levinson systems for Lexus will advance the scope of sonic performance and features available yet remain true to our original mission to recreate the emotional response evoked by the original musical, and now cinematic, event," said Phil Muzio, Director Acoustic Systems at Mark Levinson. "I'm proud to be unveiling the first domestic Mark Levinson Premium Surround System in this stunning 2006 GS."

Mark Levinson Premium Surround Systems, featuring discrete 5.1 surround sound, were launched in the 2004 Toyota Crown Royale Saloon and 2004.5 Crown Majesta in the Japan market. A glimpse of this new Mark Levinson system, while under development, was provided in the Lexus IS 430 Project Car.

*All channels driven, 20-20kHz, with no more than 0.1% Total Harmonic Distortion.

Features/Functions:

· 14 Speakers- four 25mm tweeters, five 65mm midranges, four 16cm woofers, one 25cm subwoofer.

· 11 Channels, 330 watts- The all new Mark Levinson Processor/Amplifier in the GS will produce a total power output of 330 watts, all channels driven, 20-20kHz @ less than 0.1% Total Harmonic Distortion.

· Discrete 5.1 Surround Sound reproduced by a 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Speaker Architecture- separate side and surround channels provide a greater sense of envelopment and depth for front and rear seat passengers.

· Mark Levinson Surround (MLS) Audio Software- optimizes discrete 5.1 playback for Multiseat™ listening in a 7.1 channel speaker architecture and provides a surround sound experience for stereo source material such as CD and FM. MLS is the only expression of surround sound which has been designed and optimized specifically for the challenges and characteristics exhibited by an automotive passenger cabin.

· All Digital Signal Path from the Disc to the Mark Levinson Discrete Topology Power Amplifiers- Fragile audio signals are often transmitted from the front to the back of the car in an analog format. The analog medium is subject to sonic degradation from noise and magnetic interference within the car as well as numerous conversions processes between analog and digital. To avoid noise pickup and unnecessary and potentially degrading conversion steps, the ML Premium Surround System transmits digital via SPDIF (Sony Philips Digital Interface Format), and 24 bit word lengths are supported.

· Media Compatibility- CD, CD-R, DTS 5.1 CD, DVD Video, DVD Audio, and DVD-R discs.

· Format Compatibility- 2 channel Stereo (analog and PCM), 2 channel Surround Sound, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 (from DTS 5.1 CD, DVD Video and DVD Audio discs)

· Proprietary Metal Cone Midrange and Tweeter Transducers- Metal cone geometries offer greater cone rigidity and lower mass. Neodymium magnet/motor structures provide higher magnetic flux levels in a smaller and lighter transducer package. The sonic benefits of both technologies are:
o Lower distortion-Higher Resolution
o Greater Sound Pressure Levels-Natural Dynamics
o Extended Frequency Response-Harmonic Richness and Musicality

· 25cm/10" Subwoofer with a Cast Basket and 100 watts of Power- A cast basket subwoofer has been designed and utilized for the first time in a Mark Levinson/Lexus system. This highly rigid, yet lightweight structure is the optimal environment for the high-energy low frequency reproduction required of a subwoofer. A cast basket improves performance due to its:

o Non resonant properties reducing distortion-Higher Resolution
o Thermally conductive aluminum casting reducing heat buildup in the motor assembly for increased power handling capacity-Natural Dynamics
o This all new, GS subwoofer is driven by 100 watts of Mark Levinson low distortion power.

· Source Dependent Tone Controls- your favorite tone settings retained for individual sources

· Source Dependent MLS- your favorite MLS setting retained for individual sources

· ASL- volume and tone adjustment for on-the-road system optimization, asymmetrical for surround sound sources

· ML3 Hardware highlights- switching power supply, 24 bit ADC and DAC, triple DSP farm, discrete output stages

· The GS Voicing- over 1000 man hours of laboratory and on road voicing of the Mark Levinson Premium Surround System for the particular acoustic characteristics of the GS passenger cabin.