GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Intuitive Parking Assist

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-05, 09:47 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intuitive Parking Assist

We just picked up our new GS430. Black with black interior and nav. The car has a p button in it for the parking assist but nothing in the nav info screen. Isn't the Intuitive Parking Assist standard with nav?
Old 03-05-05, 09:58 AM
Sandman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12
We just picked up our new GS430. Black with black interior and nav. The car has a p button in it for the parking assist but nothing in the nav info screen. Isn't the Intuitive Parking Assist standard with nav?
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it.

I'm not sure what is standard - someone else can comment on that. Check your window sticker - that should clear it up for you. (Hopefully your dealer gave that to you.)

But I do know that all of the cars coming to the US have that "P" button in the drop-down drawer - even if the feature isn't on the car. My GS300 has the button but I don't have the feature.
Old 03-05-05, 10:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by looknow12
pArking Assist is not standard with NAV. The rear camera is but not the PArking assist. I want to say its another $2,400.....
congrats on the new GS 430!
Old 03-05-05, 10:17 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

thanks. Lexus is getting more like mb with expensive options bringing up your sell price. Funny it even has the dime size pods in the front and rear.

just getting acquainted with the new gs(this is from my cell) and will write a detailed review when I get the time.
Old 03-05-05, 11:35 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Parking assist is listed on Lexus.com under the individual factory options for $500; it is part of several packages which drop the price relative to that designated individually.
Old 03-05-05, 01:45 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove a GS430 last week and the rear camera on the nav screen is way cool. just put it in Reverse and it comes on.

what exactly does park assist do?
Old 03-05-05, 05:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
I test drove a GS430 last week and the rear camera on the nav screen is way cool. just put it in Reverse and it comes on.

what exactly does park assist do?

Well it is an FRONT park assist, that tells you if you have any objects up front, but reason it is so "expensive" is that it is packaged with PCS, which is currently the world most advanced pre-collision-system and is expensive...
Old 03-05-05, 07:12 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Much more $$ for an accident

IF you do get into a fender bender with these parking aids on the bumper, wouldn't that make it MUCH mroe expensive to fix? Someone sideswiped my GX a few months ago on the back left corner where a sensor would have been. Just a thought...
Old 03-05-05, 07:50 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rumor Has It.....

Rumor Has It That Park Assist In Not Available At This Time And It May Take Months To Hit The Showrooms On The Gs300
Old 03-05-05, 08:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by zoombie99
Rumor Has It That Park Assist In Not Available At This Time And It May Take Months To Hit The Showrooms On The Gs300
Depends on your region. Western Region has Intuitve Park Assist available on the GS300 models w/ML/Nav system. This is a fact since Longo Lexus' initial shipment of GS300's had IPA available on several of their cars.
Old 03-05-05, 11:03 PM
oneup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up IPA on my new GS

My wife got an '06 GS300 last week and it has IPA. This was in Northern CA, so the story may be different elsewhere. All the cars on the lot were the same spec (ML/Nav/IPA and other random stuff like the seat coolers) so I assume it's a standard package.

If you press the P button in the hidden control panel a green P indicator lights up on the dash. Then whenever you get too close to something the nav screen shows a diagram of the car with warning bars near the area of the car (each corner, front or rear) that change size/color with distance. I can't say how much I love this feature. Combined with the backup camera it allows you to parallel park the car with total confidence within the first minute of owning it.
Old 03-06-05, 07:33 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

IPA is a wonderful feature. Welcome to CL BTW.
Old 03-06-05, 10:04 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Intuitive Parking Assist

If you have the Sonar bumper buttons you have the Parking Assist. The new wrinkle is that it gives you the OK clear feature when you are pulling out of the parallel universe..... The Pre Collision system uses millimeter radar that constantly scans forward and will activate the seatbelt pretensioners and brake assist and tighten suspension damping ( on the GS430) when a collision is unavoidable. If you are using the cruise control it will hit the brakes and back off on the power if you are closing too fast on a object up ahead. In Japan Toyota has a Prius that parks itself. Now if it could only feed the meter with some transmitter or something......
Old 03-07-05, 02:47 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rockville
If you have the Sonar bumper buttons you have the Parking Assist. The new wrinkle is that it gives you the OK clear feature when you are pulling out of the parallel universe..... The Pre Collision system uses millimeter radar that constantly scans forward and will activate the seatbelt pretensioners and brake assist and tighten suspension damping ( on the GS430) when a collision is unavoidable. If you are using the cruise control it will hit the brakes and back off on the power if you are closing too fast on a object up ahead. In Japan Toyota has a Prius that parks itself. Now if it could only feed the meter with some transmitter or something......
My vehicle has the sonar bumper buttons and the P button, but the IPA is not an option when you press Info on the dash.

Is this an option that can be added later. It seems like Lexus has made provisions to plug it in later just like Satellite radio. (The P button, the Sonar buttons, etc)
Old 03-07-05, 05:10 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ????

The $58,234 cars do not have Parking Assist but you say you have the bumper buttons. The sonar buttons are sort of rounded off rectangles about an inch long and appear on the front and rear bumpers. The button on the drop down panel will be there in all models even if they are not equipped with the feature. Since you are not getting Parking Assist on the Info Menu then I don't think you have it. You'll just have to get by with the back up camera I guess.......

Quick Reply: Intuitive Parking Assist