GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Swap or Not?
Swap.
100.00%
Not.
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Time to say goodbye? The 200k blues - GS400

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-21, 08:56 PM
pbbrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time to say goodbye? The 200k blues - GS400

Hello, Friends. Thanks in advance for your advice. I’m broken hearted over a failing 1UZ in my ‘00 GS 400.

Love it to death, but contemplating a new project. However, car prices in NorCal are outrageous these days and I’m curious about swapping in another OEM engine.

Should I swap or let my baby go? What would the labor cost me if I were to swap?

The rest of the car is fine, but it is at 191K and now legally able to drink! (Besides all the oil and 91 now) XD curious what you all thought about the risks/rewards in this market. Thanks again!
Old 09-07-21, 01:34 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Is there something wrong with your current engine? I don’t understand what is pushing you into this crossroad? 191k is certainly not new, however there are (probably) millions of 1UZ engines that reached 300k with nothing more than regular maintenance like oil changes and the occasional Timing Belt. If you have worn it out, but the car is still in excellent condition otherwise, it would be an good candidate for a JDM engine exchange.
Pollution can get so bad In the crowded cities of Japan, more so in the past, so the Japanese are required to replace all engines before 60,000 miles(100,000 kilometers). These motors still have plenty of life. I have always felt this was a really just a method of subsidizing their Auto makers. There is now a major industry built around exporting the old engines, and the entire car if it’s not getting a new one. into markets like North America. This is a great way to swap out a tired engine with a high quality, affordable, and low mileage, OEM engine.
Rebuilding an old engine can be very expensive, and it takes time to get it built and installed. A remanufactured engine will usually be full of budget parts and can be a pricey route. So this is a common method of extending the life of a good vehicle.
With clean GS400’s even ones with up to 100k-150k bringing close to $10,000 in the crazy automotive market. The lack of supply has driven the market to its highest increase since the end of WW2. It can be great if your on the selling side, but frustrating when your the buyer. So it wouldn’t be in your best interest to scrap a clean car.
Even if you do a JDM swap, just to then sell it retail so you’ll have more money to put towards a replacement, it’s much than having a wrecking yard low ball you for it. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
pbbrown (09-07-21)
Old 09-07-21, 02:18 PM
pbbrown
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, that all makes sense. Trying to do the math, a complete engine swap seems to cost between 3-5k and the car’s kbb value is 6k at most (and not with a leaky, low compression engine like mine). Still a whole lot cheaper than most decent used cars today, but don’t think it’ll drastically improve my resale value since the chassis is still almost 200k. I’m conflicted as can be.

Anyone know a good source for the engine or labor in NorCal so I can get more specific pricing?

Last edited by pbbrown; 09-07-21 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-07-21, 07:41 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Do a search for JDM swap and you zip code. You can also find them on eBay and they will ship to your house or business and pick your old motor when your done. Seems like they are under $2,000 and the average tech should have it swapped in 8 hours. Plus doing the Timing belt all the service work that’s easier with the motor out. I would guess $4,000 max, you could always skimp if u just need it to last for a year or so. If u have to pay a 40% premium right now, on a $10,000 vehicle, the same 1 year would cost $4,000 plus the normal depreciation it will drop during the year. Sounded like you were looking for some options, i an just trying to give you some ideas.
pbbrown (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 08:59 AM
firelizard

Received 428 Likes on 341 Posts

I suspect it's a lot more easier and cheaper to find an American 1UZ. Not nearly as commonly used in Japan, never in the (gen 2) Aristo, and everything from Japan has JDM tax on it.

Last edited by firelizard; 09-08-21 at 10:41 PM.
pbbrown (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 02:31 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

They still offer the 1UZ in the Crowns, Chasers and Celsiors, as long as u find one of a similar vintage, it’ll be identical. Your really after the long block. And reuse the engine accessories and PCM.
I have purchased a handful of JDM engines over the years, if there is a tax besides local sales tax, it’s paid by the importer and gets factored in when they are determining what’s a fair price for the engine
Certainly a used engine out of a wrecked vehicle is also a good option. Just seems like they always have much a higher miles and usually cost the same or more than the JDM route.
Either way, I am just trying to emphasize that if it’s still a good vehicle other than the tired engine, there are some ways to breath new life into without spending a fortune.
And on that note, his old engine would be worth a little cash, if there isn’t a core charge to factor in.

Last edited by dwoods801; 09-08-21 at 02:37 PM.
pbbrown (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 05:35 PM
Ajchan
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbbrown
Thanks, that all makes sense. Trying to do the math, a complete engine swap seems to cost between 3-5k and the car’s kbb value is 6k at most (and not with a leaky, low compression engine like mine). Still a whole lot cheaper than most decent used cars today, but don’t think it’ll drastically improve my resale value since the chassis is still almost 200k. I’m conflicted as can be.

Anyone know a good source for the engine or labor in NorCal so I can get more specific pricing?
I have a 2000 GS 400 with similar mileage. I would choose my car over a brand new Camry without a second thought. They just don’t make them like they used to.

What can you buy for $5K that provides a ride as civilized as your GS? If the rest is well maintained it’s a no brainer IMHO.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ajchan:
Bykfixer (09-12-21), pbbrown (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 07:32 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

I use to go thru a car a year, and it definitely got to a point that if I wander something special, I had to either spend more than I was comfortable with, or get one that had defects or was a lesser model than what would be the premium drivetrain. There is not many affordable no excuses, performance vehicles available on a budget anymore. Even from Ford or Toyota expect you to spend 1/3 the price of a starter home. And no limit drivers car like a BMW will be half the price of a starter home. At some point I realized that most of the people driving late model BMW’s were total tools that didn’t know jack about their car, other than the status it brought them. At that point I decided to pick a great car and endure. I feel the 2GS was the peak of mechanical automotive design, sure newer cars can out perform my old Lexus in every measurable category. But they are all feel like cheap designs with electronics carrying the bulk of the work, When they fail, they are difficult to diagnose, usually the only way to repair a problem is replacing entire systems and hoping you are I. The right neighborhood. I am confident that any problem my car may be afflicted with, i can diagnose and repair myself, usually for very little money. And it’s a foundation that has only 1 limitation to it, and that’s weight. But that weight is quality, and it may be a limitation in performance, it’s printed right at the top of its resume, giving credence to the statement “These cars run forever” It’s lifespan is tied to the care I put Into it and not a planned obsolescence.
I actually get way more attention in my current car than anything else I can remember. I haven’t bought gas in the last 5 years that didn’t involve someone coming over and asking me about it, and I know it can’t continue on forever, I literally don’t cut it any slack ever. I go 100 mph at least once everytime I go anywhere, and push it beyond what a 20 yo car deserves, and wouldn’t hesitate to drive it across the country anytime I might need to. Or at least know exactly what I would want to do before hitting the road. I am always looking at ones that are being parted in wrecking yards, there are always parts that are in better condition than mine, and I am embarrassed at the great condition some of them are in, when they get scraped. My car has some issues that I try to pretend aren’t there, like the “frame rails” that are the only apparent jack point in the rear, but they are not solid. So mine are not pretty with the million times my car has been lifted in the driveway instead of on a lift. And people will scrap a car with an immaculate undercarriage, and It just makes me sad considering how much better a car would have if I could have started over with the junkyard car.

Last edited by dwoods801; 09-08-21 at 08:03 PM.
pbbrown (09-08-21)
Old 09-08-21, 10:02 PM
pbbrown
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, super great points from everyone. I’ve found a place claiming to have JDM engines and will enquire as to any proof they might have. They estimated 17 hours for the swap, though! With some places charging over $200/hr in NorCal these days, I sure hope 8 is right.

What should I have done to it while it’s going in besides the obvious belts, plugs, pumps? Any idea what that could cost? I so appreciate your advice.
Old 09-08-21, 10:47 PM
firelizard

Received 428 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by dwoods801
They still offer the 1UZ in the Crowns, Chasers and Celsiors, as long as u find one of a similar vintage, it’ll be identical. Your really after the long block. And reuse the engine accessories and PCM.
I have purchased a handful of JDM engines over the years, if there is a tax besides local sales tax, it’s paid by the importer and gets factored in when they are determining what’s a fair price for the engine
"JDM tax" isn't a real tax. It's the cumulative mark-ups from brokers, shipping costs, actual taxes and fees, and "desirability".

The 1UZ was never in Chasers. Just Celsiors, Crowns, and Soarers. And apparently, HiAce ambulances.
Old 09-09-21, 02:33 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Originally Posted by firelizard
"JDM tax" isn't a real tax. It's the cumulative mark-ups from brokers, shipping costs, actual taxes and fees, and "desirability".

The 1UZ was never in Chasers. Just Celsiors, Crowns, and Soarers. And apparently, HiAce ambulances.
Excuse me, I got my Toyota’s confused, I said Chasers but meant Soarers. I had heard that they were used in the HiAce’s but I believe it was only a brief option, and I believe it was circa ‘95, a few years before the VVTi version that went in the 2GS. I could be wrong on that timeframe, but it’s pretty easy to pull up several 1UZ’s that have already been imported and are ready to be shipped to a buyer, just enter “1UZ JDM” Into the search bar on the eBay app, The 5 that looked correct, all included the A650 trans for around $2000, With free shipping. They all mentioned that the donor vehicle 5th digit in the vin was an “H” which looks a quick way to confirm it’s complatible with the 98-00 GS400. The search results also included several non-VVTi 1UZ’s. Which is the preferred setup when building a high output Twin Turbo V8, and several 4.3 3UZ’s with 6 speed auto trans. They can all be swapped into a 2GS with minimal frustration.
If you wanted to really save some money, you’ll find plenty of used motors from regional wrecking yards. Looks like they start as low as $500 with free shipping. But I think your starting to get into the price range that only makes sense if your looking to immediately sell the vehicle once it’s been installed. I doubt these engines will have a long life ahead of them. They either say there is a problem, and what it’s suspected cause is, or if they say “no problem” they have a 30 day exchange included.
8 hours was a total shot In The dark, you will want to get some estimates at multiple shops, find out the hours and shop rate, and try to learn how it’s calculated. If u have a place to work in it, it wouldn’t take much experience to handle the removal of the old engine. It would be worth some hassle to save $200 an hour. A JDM engine will go 100k between tune ups. So at 60k u just want to do the T-Belt and water pump. Maybe te Valve Cover gaskets. To defray the cost of the engine just fix anything that’s broken or damaged. And hold off on anything that’s not currently past due or much easier to do while the engine is out.

Last edited by dwoods801; 09-14-21 at 07:22 AM.
pbbrown (09-10-21)
Old 09-09-21, 01:34 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm pulling my 1uz out of my 98 400 in November. I know it's a couple months away, but it only has 80k on it and I changed TB and water pump at 73k. Also has SRT intake and trans has Dragon torque converter and aftermarket valve body.
pbbrown (09-09-21)
Old 09-12-21, 09:03 AM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Swap in another engine.
pbbrown (09-14-21)
Old 09-13-21, 08:12 AM
Ddk912
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just bought a 2000 gs 400 for use as a winter car in Florida. I paid 3600 and have been sorting it out. I knew going in it wouldn’t make financial sense, but I’ve always wanted one and have been very pleased. The ride cannot be beat and that smooth v8 is awesome. I’ve put a timing belt and complete brakes all around so I’ve got close to 6500 into it. My point is, I can’t find a nicer car that I would want to drive for that money. Camry’s and accords all day long but, though those nice I’m done with boring cars. I’d swap it.
pbbrown (09-14-21)