GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs300 handling improvements

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 05:09 AM
Flyinhawk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gs300 handling improvements

hello everyone. I am going to be starting on my aristo swap this spring and am doing suspension improvements as well. My goal is to have the car be competitive with an m5 bmw. Currently I have strut braces, blitz exhaust, ls400 brake conversion(to be installed), lastly, the car is sitting on 35ae 350z rims. I was wondering what you all suggest for improved spring rates for better handling. I’m looking at fortune auto coilovers. Here’s a pic of the car.
Old 03-24-19, 01:51 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

On my Lexus first I did the poly bushings on all 4 sway bar mounts and it was a nice upgrade but once I put a Megan Racing front sway bar in, the front was very well planted, flat around the corners and steering felt much better too. I will probably do the Megan Racing rear sway bar in the future and what is nice about that one is that it has two spots to mount the end links to depending on your preference.
Old 03-24-19, 02:43 PM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shwalker07
On my Lexus first I did the poly bushings on all 4 sway bar mounts and it was a nice upgrade but once I put a Megan Racing front sway bar in, the front was very well planted, flat around the corners and steering felt much better too. I will probably do the Megan Racing rear sway bar in the future and what is nice about that one is that it has two spots to mount the end links to depending on your preference.
How did the poly bushings change the ride for the sway bar mounts? Thinking about getting a set of Daizen's for the front and rear but don't know if it'll be a significant difference.
Old 03-24-19, 08:41 PM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxurious
How did the poly bushings change the ride for the sway bar mounts? Thinking about getting a set of Daizen's for the front and rear but don't know if it'll be a significant difference.
Other threads have discussed the mod and found that for $35, it's a very significant improvement over stock and the absolute best bang for the buck, even if it's not the 50-100% (or whatever) improvement new bars would provide.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-bushings.html

Last edited by 8M6; 03-24-19 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 09:33 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Luxurious

Those bushings made a nice difference and I would recommend those to any GS owner. Body roll was greatly reduced and handling felt much firmer but you do feel the potholes a tab bit more since it is more stiffer. They also come with grease packets which was nice but my front sway bar was so rusted around the bushings that it was causing a light clucking noise over bumps so I had to change the sway bar out anyways or else I would have just left those 4 poly bushings in and called it a day.
Old 03-25-19, 04:42 AM
Flyinhawk
Driver

Where did you buy the bushings?
Old 03-25-19, 06:27 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/2GS_SC43...s%20sway%20bar

FIGs has Superpro poly bushings. Really great support from him. I bought those for my TRD sway bar up front and got a Superpro rear bar since my TRD bar snapped. So far drives just as well as the TRD and its adjustable. The Superpro poly steering rack bushings will also help with the dead feeling when the wheels are centered and remove some slop
The following users liked this post:
NexusD (08-06-19)
Old 03-25-19, 06:27 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyinhawk
hello everyone. I am going to be starting on my aristo swap this spring and am doing suspension improvements as well. My goal is to have the car be competitive with an m5 bmw. Currently I have strut braces, blitz exhaust, ls400 brake conversion(to be installed), lastly, the car is sitting on 35ae 350z rims. I was wondering what you all suggest for improved spring rates for better handling. I’m looking at fortune auto coilovers. Here’s a pic of the car.
Which BMW M5?
The following users liked this post:
SoCalSC4 (03-27-19)
Old 03-25-19, 08:52 AM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Flyinhawk
Where did you buy the bushings?
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-26-19, 03:40 AM
Flyinhawk
Driver

I want to build it to compare with an e39 m5
Old 03-26-19, 06:02 AM
captainva
Instructor

If you put some bigger sways, lower the car on some high quality suspension, upgrade the brakes, and upgrade the wheels and tires you're getting close. You still need to do a manual and GTE swap then you're pretty much there but that's over $15k in parts for sure
Old 03-26-19, 06:14 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

Part of the improvement from replacing/upgrading the bushings is just from it being time to replace worn out components. By age and miles, there's bound to be some things that need attention. They also make poly control arm bushings that you'd probably be interested in if you had yours checked and likely find them to be bad. Would be a good time to replace ball joints if necessary etc. You'd be restoring the handling and then some with the upgraded bushings.

Coil-overs are by the most substantial suspension upgrade you can do and will make things like strut braces and sway bars feel obsolete. But if you want the thing to handle like its on rails, get your coil-overs and set them pretty stiff (make sure they are dampening adjustable as well as ride height), lower the center of gravity, but not VIP low, put on stiff sway-bars, and replace any worn out suspension components with poly bushings while your're at it, then get the car aligned. If you avoid lowing an extreme amount, you will go around just a degree in negative camber at each corner (which is a good thing for cornering) and not have to replace control arms for adjustable ones. You'll retain in spec alignment with just a little more negative camber and lower center of gravity. All good things.

What kind of tires are on the 350z rims? All things come down to where to rubber meets the road. Watch any time attack/road racers and the only thing in most cases that set the class are the type of tires they are allowed to use. Just remember, no suspension upgrade will do anything as good as a set of grippy tires! I'm a fan of the NTO5 for street use.
The following 2 users liked this post by TrueGS300:
Flyinhawk (03-26-19), SoCalSC4 (03-27-19)
Old 03-26-19, 08:10 AM
Flyinhawk
Driver

The fronts are 225/45/18 and rear is 245/45/18. I was looking for different tire options. Ended up getting a set of Michelin’s used wi5 75% tread left
Old 03-26-19, 08:13 AM
Flyinhawk
Driver

I’m doing ls400 brakes this summer. I have the gte vvti swap prices out and just have to wait for time to buy an engine(swap cost looks like $5k). The manual swap is in my plans but not for a while. I wanted an r154 or ar5 but finding one cheap and sourcing all the parts is like you said, “expensive.”
Old 03-26-19, 09:57 AM
captainva
Instructor

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Coil-overs are by the most substantial suspension upgrade you can do and will make things like strut braces and sway bars feel obsolete. But if you want the thing to handle like its on rails, get your coil-overs and set them pretty stiff (make sure they are dampening adjustable as well as ride height), lower the center of gravity, but not VIP low, put on stiff sway-bars, and replace any worn out suspension components with poly bushings while your're at it, then get the car aligned. If you avoid lowing an extreme amount, you will go around just a degree in negative camber at each corner (which is a good thing for cornering) and not have to replace control arms for adjustable ones. You'll retain in spec alignment with just a little more negative camber and lower center of gravity. All good things.
That would over damp the ride if you set it that stiff and cause the car to be upset over bumps. Sway bars are still really important and a car with more compliant suspension can absolutely out handle a car thats too stiff.

As far as lowering thats right on the money. I'm lowered about 1.5" and my at 0.5° camber front and 1.0° in the back with stock parts.

Another thing is the rear of the car is very loose so a rear strut tower bar makes a huge difference in how the car drives

Quick Reply: Gs300 handling improvements