GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aristo Swappers - Share your engine tuning solutions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 11:20 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The AEM Infinity Flying lead harness is not a patch harness. You will need to do your wiring, there's a total of 80 pins, not that difficult to wire up if you're capable of reading a wiring diagram.
Old 01-28-19, 07:50 PM
Hayce
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TW99GS300

Stock ECU will remain to control Trans, AC and throttle body. If you go manual trans, then you can go full standalone with most systems out there without the stock ecu in the mix.
Might be reading that wrong but if you go manual and swap to full standalone what/how is the AC etc controlled?
Old 03-05-19, 05:40 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Depend on which standalone you use, the infinity has provisions for it. But Lexus from 98+ has a special network communication called MPX. If you want gauges and other functions to work properly, it's best to keep the stock ECU.
I personally use A650E 5 speed stock GS300 Auto with spring mods. It's surviving for the amount of power I was throwing at it (504hp/588TQ). And my cruise control still works since I'm using my stock GE ECU.
Old 03-05-19, 03:30 PM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

Impressive @TW99GS300 that the original 5 speed is handling that amount of torque. Even the 4 speed aristo gets weak in the knees at those power levels if you don't baby it through the shifts (I've heard).
Old 12-14-23, 07:21 PM
PinnySkenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TW99GS300
Generally when you use stock Auto then the standalone ECU is there to control the Fuel and Ignition Mapping of the Motor. Which means the injector and spark system is intercepted from the stock ECU and the Standalone replaces those functions.

HKS V-Pro works in Parallel with the stock system, during Idle the stock ECU is kept in the loop and while in driving mode the V Pro system takes over. But HKS V-Pro is quite antiquated technology and to control VVTI a sub module has to be added. The new systems aren't that cheap and other standalones can be had with more features.

I now run a AEM Infinity 6 with IAC / Coolant Temp / 5 Bar MAP sensors all from AEM. MAC Boost Controller and Bosch 4.2 LSU wideband sensor is also on board controlled. VVTI solenoid can be wired in for advanced tuning, very great thing to have when you have CAMs or would like more control over the timing of your tune. You can also have CAN based gauges to display all your sensors. AEM and BTI all make these gauges.

Infinity 6 ECU was about $1400 with Tax, flying lead harness was $250, MAP $160, Boost Controller $60, Wideband sensor $65, Coolant sensor $50, AIT $60. Just over 2K for ECU and sensors. You can always choose to use other sensors but you'll need the datasheet to them to calibrate the signal for AEM infinity to read them correctly but using AEM sensors will ensure the readings are accurate.

Also will need to refresh Cam and Crank sensors, all standalone ECU will require signal from these stock sensors to adjust and sync timing properly, however, they get old over time and will produce weaker signals, harder for the standalones to read them.

Another benefit of most newer standalone is the traction control system. Wheel speed sensors are connected to and when speed differences are sensed, the throttle and or timing is limited to prevent slip.

Auxiliary fan temp control can also be utilized for more aggressive cooling

Stock ECU will remain to control Trans, AC and throttle body. If you go manual trans, then you can go full standalone with most systems out there without the stock ecu in the mix.
Seeing as this was posted 4 years ago I think there’s a good chance I won’t get a response but it’s worth a shot! You’re running an AEM infinity 6 with the stock auto? I’ve heard you can only run this ECU if you have a manual transmission? I’m trying to plan my Aristo build for the summer and the AEM ECU seems like a really solid choice but I do plan on keeping/building the stock auto so I was thinking the AEM was out of the question?
Old 12-17-23, 06:40 AM
Scigheras
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't consider the AEM Infinity anymore in current times, unless you can get a smoking deal on it or something.
AEM Infinity is discontinued and there's many alternatives out there that are simply superior in every single way, like the stuff from Haltech, Link, ECUMaster etc etc.
Old 12-17-23, 09:18 AM
PinnySkenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scigheras
I wouldn't consider the AEM Infinity anymore in current times, unless you can get a smoking deal on it or something.
AEM Infinity is discontinued and there's many alternatives out there that are simply superior in every single way, like the stuff from Haltech, Link, ECUMaster etc etc.
I see, thanks! Do Haltech, link and ECUMaster all have an option that’s compatible with VVTI and an automatic gearbox?