GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300 throttle issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 10:06 AM
stretchfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hits just keep coming. This morning the CEL was on. It threw a P0753 code. Took it to a very good Lexus mechanic and am waiting impatiently.
Old 04-19-18, 10:58 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by stretchfan
The hits just keep coming. This morning the CEL was on. It threw a P0753 code. Took it to a very good Lexus mechanic and am waiting impatiently.
There is an issue with your shift solenoid. Quick search and you'll find the potential issue.
Old 04-19-18, 03:00 PM
stretchfan
Driver School Candidate

The mechanic just called. He said that 2 of his guys hooked up an OBD to the car and took it for a 30 minute drive. The CEL never came on and the car drove perfectly. His advice was to get the car and continue to drive it until it happens again (if it happens again). He said he could replace the #1 shift solenoid (which the code referred to) at a cost of $921.49 ..... DAM! But he couldn't guarantee that would solve this intermittent issue. The solenoid alone costs @ $360
To Recap...This morning when I started the car the CEL was on. Upon starting off, the car slightly hesitated and then almost instantly shifted into 3rd and lugged really bad. I was only doing 10 mph when this happened. I reset the ECU and started the car again and the CEL came on again. 30 minutes later, I drove it 10 miles to the mechanic and it drove perfectly (and the CEL light was on).
Any thoughts from this forum are appreciated!
Old 04-19-18, 05:07 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

The mechanic just called. He said that 2 of his guys hooked up an OBD to the car and took it for a 30 minute drive. The CEL never came on and the car drove perfectly. His advice was to get the car and continue to drive it until it happens again (if it happens again). He said he could replace the #1 shift solenoid (which the code referred to) at a cost of $921.49 ..... DAM! But he couldn't guarantee that would solve this intermittent issue. The solenoid alone costs @ $360
To Recap...This morning when I started the car the CEL was on. Upon starting off, the car slightly hesitated and then almost instantly shifted into 3rd and lugged really bad. I was only doing 10 mph when this happened. I reset the ECU and started the car again and the CEL came on again. 30 minutes later, I drove it 10 miles to the mechanic and it drove perfectly (and the CEL light was on).
Any thoughts from this forum are appreciated!

Has anyone checked the transmission fluid? Make sure it's at the correct level. The solenoid should be tested to make sure it's actually the solenoid going bad. I don't know the milage on your car. So most likely a high milage car does come with it's problems.
Old 04-21-18, 01:56 PM
stretchfan
Driver School Candidate

You are correct Mike !! Got the car home from the mechanic and the CEL was on when they gave me the keys. The guy said he cleared the code and it came right back on. They offered to order the solenoid and replace it monday. I just took the car and said maybe in May. First 10 minutes driving it would start off very slowly in 1st gear and then shift properly. After 10 minutes it drove and shifted perfectly. Got home and checked the tran fluid. It was about 1/2 inch below the notches for a warm engine. The mechanic said to use synthetic ATF to top it off. filled it to the appropriate level and waited til this morning to try it. Cranked this morning with no CEL and ran fine. Just tried it again and all seems well although I did see a small tran fluid spot on the driveway. I must have a small fluid leak. The car is normally garaged and has a dark carpet under it so i never noticed the leak before. Thanks again Mike for adding to this thread. Next up, find the trans fluid leak and fix it.
I ended up adding just less than 1/2 a quart.

Last edited by stretchfan; 04-21-18 at 02:04 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-23-18, 09:35 PM
stretchfan
Driver School Candidate

Just a question for those that continue to read this thread (as painful as it is). After a CEL comes on and is cleared, The issue that caused the CEL isn't fixed, its just that the code is being erased or wiped or whatever. Question is... you're not fixing the issue,just erasing the code, so wouldn't the issue instantly and continuously occur ?
I continue to occasionally get the P0753 code. If I try to clear the code it comes right back on. If I let the car reach operating temperature and clear the code it stays off and the car runs and shifts fine until the next day or so when it may or may not come on with a cold start.
I would just hate to replace shift solenoid A or 1 for $900+ and it not fix the problem. Maybe the transmission is going bad.
Old 04-23-18, 10:22 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Just a question for those that continue to read this thread (as painful as it is). After a CEL comes on and is cleared, The issue that caused the CEL isn't fixed, its just that the code is being erased or wiped or whatever. Question is... you're not fixing the issue,just erasing the code, so wouldn't the issue instantly and continuously occur ?
Some codes are borderline within limits such as when you get a catalytic converter code as it needs to be 95% efficient or better and if it is borderline it might come on or might stay off for awhile depending on your driving conditions. Same with a evap leak that could be a bad gas cap, if you get the seal just tight enough till your next fill up you might not see that code again until another fill up. Most trouble codes will stay in the the ECU even once deleted for a certain amount of on/off key cycles and or drive time and will show up as pending under a emission test category until those on/off key cycles and or drive time is meet without setting the code again.
Old 04-24-18, 02:32 PM
stretchfan
Driver School Candidate

The CEL is coming on more often now (same code P0753). I've decided to have the transmission rebuilt. The same shop rebuilt the transmission on my 2005 ram 1500 about 77,000 miles ago and its been great since then. I think this is the best option to guarantee a long lasting repair. Now I'm off to sell a kidney... or two. And buy some Fantasy 5 tickets
Old 04-24-18, 04:23 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

The CEL is coming on more often now (same code P0753). I've decided to have the transmission rebuilt. The same shop rebuilt the transmission on my 2005 ram 1500 about 77,000 miles ago and its been great since then. I think this is the best option to guarantee a long lasting repair. Now I'm off to sell a kidney... or two. And buy some Fantasy 5 tickets
Now you can tell them to do the pressure adjustment to the tranny. It will have a firm shift feel not much though.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/595906-gs430-better-tranny-shifts-just-by-adjusting-dial.html
Old 05-01-18, 04:21 AM
whh333
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

About why you erase the codes, even if they reappear. I have been able to isolate the problem many times using this method. Often, a code will involve several possibilities, but the conditions that make it come back on will often let you narrow the possibilities to the real problem. Like strechfan above, the fact that the code is triggered during the warm-up and not when the car is at operating temperature might home in on the warm-up factors that create the code and prevent unnecessary parts from being changed.
Old 02-17-24, 03:04 PM
ahmedheyad7
2nd gear

finaly ifound gs300 -98-05 throuttle solution with out need to replace it check this