GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New GS owner with oil dripping, possible leaky camshaft seal, suspension maintenace

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 08:31 AM
YesItBe2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GS owner with oil dripping, possible leaky camshaft seal, suspension maintenace

Recently became owner of a 1998 GS 300, 189k miles. The car was dealer serviced from the previous owner but the title has been held in my fathers name since 2010, before I was even licensed. Now she's mine In those past 7 years about 25k miles have been put on the vehicle and no major repairs other than replacing a solenoid that I believe work with the fuel system.

I had noticed oil leaking since summer which started as a few drops, but has progressed to small puddles with winter here. This week I took it to a repair shop which diagnosed it as a leaky camshaft seal. They said they don't have the tools to repair the seal but could put an additive in the oil which is supposed to revitalize the seal. I read a few posts here on Club Lexus about camshaft leaks and figured it would be a good idea for them to check crankshaft leaks and timing belt also. While at the repair shop I also had them look at my brakes and suspension which require replacement of the front brake rotors & pads, struts, and shocks. Later today I will find out if the notorious lower ball joints need help.

How involved is it to install a coilover setup? The moment I mentioned this, te repair shop I went to said it couldn't be done. I was looking to install the TEIN Advance Z coilover system, which are tailored for street and install to the OEM mounts. I was too shocked to correct front desk guy of the repair shop when he questioned why I would put "performance upgrades" into a 20 year old 4-door FWD sedan..

My car knowledge is a bit novice which is why I came to the best forums on the internet for knowledge and guidance on anything LEXUS. With the mentioned repairs and maintenance I invite anybody to pass along their experiences with these issues. If there is anything else worth checking out while they're doing these repairs please pass this along. Thanks and have a great day!
Old 12-06-17, 10:01 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

My initial reaction is that you are at a shop that sounds like they have the level of expertise of a tire store / oil servicer. I am not a mechanic, but to change the cam seals there are no special tools required - at least for me there weren't. I was working on the turbo version of this engine when chasing down a leak, but the cam seals are likely similar so I can't imagine what their hesitation is. But hey, at least they're admitting that this sort of work is over their head. I'd find a more confident shop to address your ride. Coilovers are not hard to install - they're basically the same thing your car has from the factory with the caveat that they are adjustable ride-height. Again, any general automotive shop that can install struts and springs can install coilovers.

As far as the leak - I think you're in the area where the leak would likely be coming from and given the mileage you're at its probably wise to change all the seals up front - the cams, VVTI seal, and crank seal... and if you're close time or mileage-wise, do timing belt and water pump too, as you'll be removing the belt to get to the seals.
Old 12-06-17, 10:03 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome,
Sounds like your GS needs the typical high mileage motor reseal, valve cover gaskets, cam seals and even VVT Oring with a timing belt job.

First thing I would do is find a new repair shop that knows the car. Our GS's are RWD Grand Sport sedans not FWD sedans.
Seriously I would not waste my time with a shop that tells you lies about the car.

Suspension work on our cars is straight forward and not complicated. If you are willing to take the time you can install the coilovers yourself.
Keep in mind though; like you mention, ball joints, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, end links and maybe more need to be addressed before full enjoyment can be achieved...

Good luck.