GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need advice on 18" wheels and spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 11:55 AM
Maltrix
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on 18" wheels and spacers

Hello everyone

So i bought a gs430 yesterday that had a shake at 60mph+

Owner believed it to be a tire balance issue. The price was right so I decided to take on the problem hoping it would be something minor.

After a few trips to the tire shop and a swapping of the 18" wheels to 16" snow tires that came with the vehicle the shaking has mostly stopped(think the rotors need a changing, one thing at a time though).

In the spirit of saving money I was wondering if I could elicit any advice from you guys on how to fit the larger wheels back without the shaking? The spacers used were these
Amazon Amazon

the wheels are from a RX and the tires on them at Antares ingres A1 245/40/R18

Wasn't sure if here or the suspension forum were correct so excuse me if I've posted in the wrong section. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 07-19-17, 02:19 PM
Will_GS400
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless you need the spacer to clear the brakes, take it off. Also, check tire balance. Not sure about those off brand tires.
Old 07-19-17, 03:34 PM
Maltrix
Rookie

I did have them balanced before i decided to take them off. I was wondering if maybe the spacers have worn the tires unevenly? But wouldnt they catch that in the balancing
Old 07-19-17, 06:14 PM
jgwilson88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of 18's off of a 2011 GS450H and they fit perfectly and I have had no problems with them. Plus they made the look and stance of the car look much better. I didn't have to use spacers or anything . If they fit without them I would see no reason in using them.
Old 07-19-17, 06:44 PM
Maltrix
Rookie

Our cars are the same color. Mine has been dropped with the L-tune suspension though. Hopefully i can to detailing it after sorting all this out and it looks half as nice as yours.

How big are the gs450h rims? The RX are 18x7 from everything I've read so far

I tried to see how they would fit without the spacers. Unfortunately the rim comes into contact with the caliper and won't rotate. I'm wondering if the tires have gone bad but since they were just balanced I can only assume that isnt the problem. I notice there is slack between the hub and the rotor, the studs have about a quarter inch of play before coming in contact with the rotor's openings. Is this normal? Trying to back track what the PO might have done.
Old 07-19-17, 08:25 PM
sade04
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you want to use spacers, you have to use hubcentric ones. They have the little lip on the edge which supports the wheel. Using the spacers you linked to will almost 100% guarantee some sort of vibration. Can you post a pic of the 1/4" space that you're describing?

Also you may or may not know our cars are notorious for vibrations at highway speeds....there are a million threads on here with people describing their issues / solutions. Have any of your suspension parts (bushings, etc) been replaced?
Old 07-19-17, 09:11 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by sade04
if you want to use spacers, you have to use hubcentric ones. They have the little lip on the edge which supports the wheel. Using the spacers you linked to will almost 100% guarantee some sort of vibration. Can you post a pic of the 1/4" space that you're describing?

Also you may or may not know our cars are notorious for vibrations at highway speeds....there are a million threads on here with people describing their issues / solutions. Have any of your suspension parts (bushings, etc) been replaced?
hit it right on the head. hubcentric spacers are allmost allways the culprit for wheel vibration on larger wheels
Old 07-20-17, 12:33 PM
Maltrix
Rookie

There were rings on it. close to this

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/g...hoCKSYQAvD_BwE

The tire shop guy was talking about them,I think he was saying I had them on the front but not on the back. It was very hard to understand him as English wasn't his first language. It seems he didn't put those rings in with the lug nuts and spacers so I'm not really sure.

Since the tires are walmart brand I'm wondering if the PO went cheap on the spacers too, Could you guys recommend me a quality hubcentric spacer and I'll see if it makes a difference?
Old 07-20-17, 05:49 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

They can make them to spec for you.
Old 07-21-17, 12:15 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Well lemme share some valuable information about using RX wheels on 2nd gen GS. I recently had the 19x7.5 RX Fsport rims I was gonna put on my car until I found out that our car load capacity is to heavy for the rims. Any size tire combo you can come with won't support the weight of our vehicles. Tires will eventually warp & bubble on the inside tread causing heavy vibration. From the info I gathered if you go 18" or larger the rim width has to be 8's of wider. So I got rid of rims and got 19x9 GS Fsport rims.
Old 07-22-17, 09:52 AM
Maltrix
Rookie

Wow, ok that might explain it too. I'm not 100% with you on the car load capacity isn't the RX heavier than the 2gs and has a greater towing capacity??
Old 07-22-17, 01:57 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

According to the tech at tirerack the rims are narrow 7.5" wide. He said if you go with 18s rims or larger, the minimum width we can go is 8" wide. He said it wouldn't work, just that the rim is narrow & we can get premature tire wear and the inner side wall breaking & bubbling causing vibration. Then I was throwing so many tire size combinations at him & he told me to get rid of the rims. So I did. & if you think about it most small suv's comes with narrow wheels. Gives them better traction in inclement weather.
Old 07-22-17, 02:04 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

I had that problem before when I had the staggered IS 350 rims. I kept the tires that came on the rim 225/40/18 front and 255/40/18 rear. Tires was wearing out in months. But once I went with 245/40/18 in the front & 275/35/18 in the rear which is what required for our vehicles I no more tire issues. Got normal wear and tear. So guys when upgrading rims for our vehicles, please stick with tire size recommendations for that rim to handle the load capacity of our vehicles. Save you a lot of time and money from keep buying tires every 4 months
Old 07-24-17, 05:18 PM
Maltrix
Rookie

So in the spirit of saving some money in the short term I've looked into hub rings for the larger wheels. It seems they share same bore size so I'm confused as to what size those rings are that are on the car. Could it have something to do with the spacers that were on it? It's raining so I haven't pulled off the wheels yet to have a look.
Old 07-25-17, 02:34 AM
Maltrix
Rookie

OK to clarify my question(still learning all this) if I have 7mm spacers and the hub and wheel have the same bore(60.1) will I need/can I fit rings?

Quick Reply: Need advice on 18" wheels and spacers