GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Best Muffler on GS3

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 05:18 PM
TrueRobin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best Muffler on GS3

Hey Club,
I've been roaming the forum and found some post on mufflers but everyone replies to get a exhaust system etc.
Many members wrote the exhaust system cant gain much since its optimized so well so my acutal queston is...
Which muffler have you put on your GS3? Im preferably looking for a nice deep which is a bit louder then then stock
one but not too crazy loud to anoy anyone. any thoughts?
Old 05-04-17, 05:26 PM
JoshDray
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TrueRobin
Hey Club,
I've been roaming the forum and found some post on mufflers but everyone replies to get a exhaust system etc.
Many members wrote the exhaust system cant gain much since its optimized so well so my acutal queston is...
Which muffler have you put on your GS3? Im preferably looking for a nice deep which is a bit louder then then stock
one but not too crazy loud to anoy anyone. any thoughts?
On my GS300 I cut the rear mufflers and replaced it with 3 inch, sounds awesome but is quite droney at 100km/h. Before I welded the 3 inch pipe on and it was just dumping underneath the car but it sounded the exact same without the drone. I think if i used smaller piping it would reduce the drone but not 100% sure. Just my .02c
Old 05-04-17, 05:56 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

You need to go to youtube and type in GS300 exhaust and take your pic.
Old 05-04-17, 05:59 PM
TrueRobin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
You need to go to youtube and type in GS300 exhaust and take your pic.
I tried, most of the videos i find are exhaust systems or muffler deletes.
Old 05-04-17, 08:00 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

A muffler delete sounds just a tad louder, not crazy at all in person. Just have a shop unbolt the mufflers or do it yourself and see how it sounds to you. In fact, I was running headers, no cats, no mufflers just with stock resonators and it still wasnt loud.

The stock resonators are huge 22" long torpedos with heavy walls, hundreds of tiny holes inside with very good soundwave absorbing material like a serious glasspack. They cut alot of high frequencies out, maybe too much for the V8 but still sounds good. Perfect for the I6.

Drone is not bad compared to having complete straight pipes which I have also done.

Ive also done a reso delete with stock mufflers, no drone. The result sounds bad on NA I6 motors and eh decent on the 8s. I now know how to modify the rear mufflers to make it sound better.

Also, if you just put different mufflers on the end without deleting resonators, it will be more quiet than a muffler delete.

Now if you delete resos and swap different mufflers, like the very common turbo style, it sounds pretty much just like a muffler delete with stock resos, but more midrange.

Last edited by GS400V8; 05-04-17 at 08:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TrueRobin (05-04-17)
Old 05-04-17, 08:26 PM
SC95
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust I installed on my GS. I was after something that would have a bit more rumble than stock, but without constant drone on the highway - basically something along the lines of what is offered as a factory sports exhaust on other cars. The sound is nice IMO, a bit of a mix between BMW I6 and (stock) GT-R exhaust note. Below is a link to a YouTube video I shot of the install, but if you skip to 5:00, there are some sound clips, with the first start after installing the system as well as some interior sound clips just cruising around and getting on it a bit.

If you want further sound samples I can shoot some more interior and exterior clips. The full catback definitely costs more than a muffler delete, but the Tanabe system fit absolutely perfectly and sounds fantastic IMO.
The following users liked this post:
mate01 (05-05-17)
Old 05-04-17, 08:28 PM
TrueRobin
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GS400V8
A muffler delete sounds just a tad louder, not crazy at all in person. Just have a shop unbolt the mufflers or do it yourself and see how it sounds to you. In fact, I was running headers, no cats, no mufflers just with stock resonators and it still wasnt loud.

The stock resonators are huge 22" long torpedos with heavy walls, hundreds of tiny holes inside with very good soundwave absorbing material like a serious glasspack. They cut alot of high frequencies out, maybe too much for the V8 but still sounds good. Perfect for the I6.

Drone is not bad compared to having complete straight pipes which I have also done.

Ive also done a reso delete with stock mufflers, no drone. The result sounds bad on NA I6 motors and eh decent on the 8s. I now know how to modify the rear mufflers to make it sound better.

Also, if you just put different mufflers on the end without deleting resonators, it will be more quiet than a muffler delete.

Now if you delete resos and swap different mufflers, like the very common turbo style, it sounds pretty much just like a muffler delete with stock resos, but more midrange.
I'll give the muffler delete a shot thanks!
Old 05-04-17, 08:31 PM
TrueRobin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC95
I really like the Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust I installed on my GS. I was after something that would have a bit more rumble than stock, but without constant drone on the highway - basically something along the lines of what is offered as a factory sports exhaust on other cars. The sound is nice IMO, a bit of a mix between BMW I6 and (stock) GT-R exhaust note. Below is a link to a YouTube video I shot of the install, but if you skip to 5:00, there are some sound clips, with the first start after installing the system as well as some interior sound clips just cruising around and getting on it a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nGafAyFx1Y

If you want further sound samples I can shoot some more interior and exterior clips. The full catback definitely costs more than a muffler delete, but the Tanabe system fit absolutely perfectly and sounds fantastic IMO.
Thanks SC95,
The medalion was definately my first pick if i go exhaust system. Told my self if i cant find a decent muffler or if i dont like the muffler delete i most like would save up for this one!
Old 05-04-17, 09:29 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

No problem man if you like them with the mufflers unbolted, I'd say your good to go. I always opt for stainless steel, just for longevity, but mild is okay.

I've done every exhaust combo out there and heard many, and I don't think the Tanabe Touring sounds barely any different than a muffler delete, just $500-600 more. The Tanabe Sport sounds okay, but I think they are more rare IIRC

IMHO I also don't like how 99% of aftermarket mufflers look, from how low they are, to the huge diameter tips that stick out too far or vibrate against the bumper cut-outs because they are too big. This isn't a problem on all brands, but it can make a very annoying sound and can almost simulate drone or rattling. It makes sense why they do this when you compare them to the OEM. I've spent alot of time looking at the design when doing my various exhausts.

The only ones I actually liked were the L-Tuned because they fit liked factory, but are so rare now a days. I also love how the OEM mufflers fit and look with different tips, so it is why I took the time to cut them open and share on here how to mod them inside. The L-Tuned/OEM muffler bodys hung close up in the bumper near the heatshields, and the tips had a slight bend down and out into the bumper cut-outs.

Last edited by GS400V8; 05-04-17 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-04-17, 10:05 PM
TrueRobin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS400V8
No problem man if you like them with the mufflers unbolted, I'd say your good to go. I always opt for stainless steel, just for longevity, but mild is okay.

I've done every exhaust combo out there and heard many, and I don't think the Tanabe Touring sounds barely any different than a muffler delete, just $500-600 more. The Tanabe Sport sounds okay, but I think they are more rare IIRC

IMHO I also don't like how 99% of aftermarket mufflers look, from how low they are, to the huge diameter tips that stick out too far or vibrate against the bumper cut-outs because they are too big. It makes a very annoying sound and can almost simulate drone or rattling. They only ones I actually liked were the L-Tuned because they fit liked factory, but are so rare now a days. I also love how the OEM mufflers fit and look with different tips, so it is why I took the time to cut them open and share on here how to mod them inside. The L-Tuned/OEM muffler bodys hung close up in the bumper near the heatshields, and the tips had a slight bend down and out into the bumper cut-outs.
Agreed on the price for a exhaust system. Little much especially after reading the car doesnt gain much from it but sound. My only concern before was that a muffler delete would be to loud and "annoying" since i had a big pipe on my previous car and i didnt wanna raise my voice to talk to my passengers anymore lol. But i'll trust your judgment and go that route. thanks for taking the time to put it out here!

Last edited by TrueRobin; 05-04-17 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-04-17, 10:24 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Oh no, gains are not worth it, you might get 1-5 horses to the wheels, if that with any exhaust. Not even with the V8s with everything else stock. The headers are already decent on the I6 models, it was the 8s that had horrible ones, thus the gains from aftermarket headers.

Yeah, you might wanna just un-do them and drive around for a little bit. I also have some "reason" as to why the muffler delete sounds good Everyone who listens to a 2JZ kindof secretly wishes it was the Turbo 2JZ-GTE, which muffles the sound considerably near where the cats are (technically before the cats). From my background in audio, specifically in building analog circuitry from scratch (and using some digital), muted high frequencies at the beginning of an amplifier sounds different than muting them at the end of the gain stages. When you mute the frequencies in the middle of the exhaust, you are emulating the sound closer than say, having a turbo muffler mute them later down in the chain. Yes stock supra/aristo exhausts were pretty much the same as the NA versions, but if one could move the stock resonators further toward the front of the car, it would emulate this even more, it would just cost money.
Old 05-05-17, 06:21 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Greddy EVO II for the win...love mine!!!
Old 05-05-17, 12:32 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
Greddy EVO II for the win...love mine!!!
i agree, which is why i also have one (not on a gs300 but a Gs430)