GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

99 GS400 Whine noise, help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 12:41 AM
SharasGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 GS400 Whine noise, help!

Hello, this is an amazing forum and I found many good info on what I needed, but I didn't find much on my problem and since I found this video I thought I'll make my first post, So I got the same whine noise as in this video and it drives me crazy. Don't want to wait for some serious problem to develop. Please help! Thank you.

Old 12-07-16, 10:13 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Remove your belt and see if the sound goes away. This will at least narrow it down to an accessory. If it goes away, reinstall the belt and use anything you can think of (a short hose works great) to pinpoint the noise. One end to your ear and the other end to every accessory to find which its coming from. I'm thinking a pulley may be old or some bearings.

You could try the hose thing first. This is a great way to narrow down the location and rule out many other guesses of what it could be.
Old 12-07-16, 11:01 AM
skidmarcx
Driver School Candidate

Really is tough to tell from the video... sounds like the P/S pump, but I can't be certain... how does the P/S fluid look?
Old 12-07-16, 02:08 PM
SharasGS
Driver School Candidate

I don't think it is the PS pump because when I turned the steering wheel everything was smooth. I'll buy the stethoscope and will try to listen to it.
Old 12-07-16, 04:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

PS can be screaming and still work smoothly, just like it can steer like a 1940's Buick and not make a sound.
Old 12-08-16, 07:50 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

i noticed that your drive belt is moving slower then normal, you may have issues with your alternator, ps pump or water pump and maybe other things.
Old 12-08-16, 08:41 AM
SharasGS
Driver School Candidate

The car in the video is not mine, I just posted it because the noise is the same. I did film mine today, here it is:
Old 12-08-16, 06:44 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the noise is coming from the altenator. Load up the electrical system all lights and accessory on including altenator . C if the noise increase or decrease. remove the belt isnoise present then it maybe in the timing cover. When you remove the belt spin the altenator pulley and listen, same with the compressor pulley.
Old 12-09-16, 09:53 AM
SharasGS
Driver School Candidate

Ok so I took off the belt and the sound was gone, it is either the alternator or the PS pump, I'm leaning more to the PS pump because I don't have any electrical issues. Maybe I just need to change the fluid (I hope so). When I'll get the stethoscope I'll know for sure, also there's a strange sound or wobble in the crankshaft, anything serious? Or is it just me making up problems? Hard to see or hear in the video so try to turn up the sound.
Old 12-09-16, 10:12 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

...guessing is great when you get it right.

I have never heard a P/S pump of any kind make that noise unlike a bad bearing in an alternator.
Old 12-09-16, 10:36 AM
SharasGS
Driver School Candidate

This is my first car so I'm always learning new stuff. And the sound would change when I turn the wheel if it would be the steering pump right?
Old 12-09-16, 01:08 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Both the alternators that have been in my car made a sound like that.
Old 12-09-16, 07:42 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm gonna cast my vote for normal. My 1UZ does that, my mom's 2UZ does that, and I think my uncle's 2UZ does as well. Check your pulleys with a stethoscope and have the alternator function checked just to be sure but I'm guessing it's just natural whine. I have sound clips from a Mercedes C63 AMG and you can hear something similar.
Old 12-09-16, 07:48 PM
SharasGS
Driver School Candidate

The sound changes a little when I turn all the lights on/off so I am almost definitely sure it is the alternator. Well I hope it is normal, never had any starting or electrical issues, well except my speedo lighting is sometimes brighter and sometimes darker but it is not a new car so I thought it's natural.
Old 12-14-16, 03:30 AM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

It sound like it could be a ball bearing noise. The bearings in all the pulley , alternator, ac freewheeling etc are "permanent" lubricated. They can get "dry" and noisy over many years.
Spin them. if they have more then a very small play or make noise they are suspects.
Some are exchangeable extremely cheaply, Standard bearings 10$ each (buy the right ones!). you need a bench vise and some large sockets or simmilar that can be used to press the bearings out and in with.
I have done two of mine. 1995 LS400

Quick Reply: 99 GS400 Whine noise, help!