GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Alternative 3rd Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 09:49 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Alternative 3rd Brake Light

So I was wondering if anyone else was able to use a 3rd brake light from a different make/model for our cars.

For those of you who had an OEM wing with the built in brake light, you did not have a 3rd brake light on the rear deck of your car, but you did have the option of adding it since the connection was still there hidden under the deck lid. However, there was a problem with the wiring where only a few bulbs lit up. (I've replaced the bulbs and even used a different unit, but the same bulbs stayed lit/out) I remember reading somewhere that someone was able to basically take the 3rd brake light from a BMW and use it as a 3rd brake light on their 2GS. Are these plugs basically the same for all cars?

I've dealt with having just 3 bulbs light up for awhile now, but I want a fully functional 3rd brake light, so I figured someone might have a solution to this.

Running wires from the functioning bulbs to the non functioning ones does not work and not having a 3rd brake light is illegal.
Old 05-02-16, 11:00 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Surprisingly, LexusK, the third brake light is not part of the State Inspection process in Texas and therefore is not a ticketable offense.
Old 05-02-16, 11:22 AM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hold tight.

I am going to try to mod 2 COB LED strips into it. Seemed like it should be plug-n-play, but after your comment, plug-n-pray seems closer.

I have the strips and the old bulbs I will use as plugs.

This thread will motivate me to get it done sooner than later.
Old 05-02-16, 11:36 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Surprisingly, LexusK, the third brake light is not part of the State Inspection process in Texas and therefore is not a ticketable offense.
YOU LIE!

I am going to unplug this thing then lol. Wish I had known about this 2-3 years ago before I cut into my deck lid.
Old 05-02-16, 01:57 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

i have seen older members mold a Supra clear 3rd brake light into the trunk, i always wanted to do this also.... other than that nope
Old 05-02-16, 09:00 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same issue when I removed the rear spoiler. My rear deck didn't have the 3rd brake light. So I bought a used one thinking I would just cut off the hole and install it, but then after thinking I would butcher up the deck I decided to go aftermarket.
I bought an LED light bar from eBay and I cut the wiring from the used 3rd brake light (the female connector) and wired to the LED light then I just plugged and play to the factory connector running the wires through the side of the rear window into the center of the headliner and used double sided tape to hold the light up top.
Attached Thumbnails Alternative 3rd Brake Light-image.png  
Old 05-03-16, 09:08 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by clos430
I had the same issue when I removed the rear spoiler. My rear deck didn't have the 3rd brake light. So I bought a used one thinking I would just cut off the hole and install it, but then after thinking I would butcher up the deck I decided to go aftermarket.
I bought an LED light bar from eBay and I cut the wiring from the used 3rd brake light (the female connector) and wired to the LED light then I just plugged and play to the factory connector running the wires through the side of the rear window into the center of the headliner and used double sided tape to hold the light up top.
i like that....
Old 05-03-16, 10:31 AM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by clos430
That looks factory. Nice.
Old 05-03-16, 10:55 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
i like that....
Originally Posted by AmanO
That looks factory. Nice.
Thanks fellas! The best part is I get no taillight malfunction indicator in the cluster
Old 05-05-16, 07:26 AM
crunchee
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '01 GS300 came with both a spoiler brake light and the stock third brake light on the rear deck.
Old 05-05-16, 08:59 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar concern years ago when I ditched the OE trunk spoiler in favor of a Junction Produce part when I painted the car years ago. We resolved this by using a factory brake light out of a MK4 Supra - which was available new from the Toyota dealer at the time (I assume you could still source one new). It matches the curve of the 2GS trunk perfectly.

I liked the fact that it was a Toyota part and LED, and wiring was pretty easy, although I did have to cut the connector off the Supra light and make my own. Be prepared to cut a slot in your trunk, though.

2GS with Supra third brake light
Old 05-06-16, 01:47 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
2GS with Supra third brake light
hahaha, i literally mentioned you in post # 5 but i couldnt think of your screen name or name atm (its Bob right?) i just knew you were a really old OG who had a super clean SBM with Modulare M12's

Originally Posted by sakataj
i have seen older members mold a Supra clear 3rd brake light into the trunk, i always wanted to do this also.... other than that nope