GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need help with this Idle issue that I have

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16, 02:43 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Unhappy I need help with this Idle issue that I have

Hi Guys,

I write this out because I know here in this forum someone have this issue before and I need some input. As the title said, I need help with this Idle issue that I have. Everything, Everything is New or close to new already. No more of two years in all this parts. I change already the Mass or Maf Sensor OEM, All 3 OEM Coils, OEM Spark Plugs, OEM Spark Plugs Wires, I found 2 of the coil electric wires in bad shape and I fix it, OEM Throttle Body Gasket, I clean the Throttle Body, OEM PVC, OEM PVC Hoses, Clean K&N Air Filter, 2 Air hoses that have a leak and I change them and the car STILL DOING IT. The gas hoses that go before the injector metal line was leak just very small of gas. The 4 O2 Oxygen Sensor also are bran new (Denso) . Also, with this idle problem and is only sometime the rpm go down to 400 OR 300 when I go to stop on a traffic light. It is as if the car is going to shut off but not shut off at all. But I start the car next day and the car run like CHAMPION. I just thinking in the Throttle Body Level Sensor that start going bad?? The throttle Body Level Sensor acceleration cable that stuck in some area inside the car (fire wall) . But the cable look fine, maybe inside?? NO CEL at all, I check a few time with my OBD-ll scanner and NOTHING, ALL GOOD. Also, I thinking in the Fuel Pump that maybe start going bad. The Fuel Gas Filter also is new and OEM and is only one year old. I'm completely confused with this issue that I have? Any input or idea if someone have the same symptom on your car, how can I fix this?, again, appreciated any good input. Thanks you in advance
Old 04-12-16, 08:39 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the voltage of your TPS at idle? Did this happen after you cleaned your throttle body?

My scanner allows me to measure the voltage through OBD. If you just have a scanner that spits codes out only, it's a bit more difficult.
Old 04-12-16, 08:20 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I had a VERY similar issue for a while, I'm not sure it's related but might be something you can check. Let's say I was on the expressway for 10 minutes and took an exit, right at the bottom at the stoplight the RPMs would get very low like 400-500 RPM. Everyone once in a while - maybe once every 2-3 months - the car would shut off at a stoplight, but immediately start back up. The RPMs would remain very low though, maybe half of what they should be. No codes or anything.

Finally, after a long time I got a CEL (P0441/P0446) and took it to the dealer. Their assessment was "REPLACED RUBBER SECTIONS OF LINES AT PURGE VALVE". After that the idle returned to normal! I'm guessing the rubber line was cracked and going bad for a while.

Hope that gives you another idea of what you could check. It stumped me for a long time. It's very disconcerting because if I was at a light and someone was behind me I didn't know if the car was going to shut off with the RPMs being so low.

Edited to add: the RPMs would return to normal the next day. It only happened when the car was very warm.

Last edited by kevin3344; 04-12-16 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-13-16, 09:58 AM
Mike246
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You have spent more on the car than what it would sell for! I sympathize as I am very attached to mine, having had it for 18 years.

Mine had the same issue and I posted. Some wise members came back and pointed me towards the Oil Control Valve (OCV) which controls the Variable Valve Timing by rotating the camshaft. The valve has a gauze filter which gets clogged.

The part is readily accessible at the front of the engine however I got my mechanic to take it out and clean it. The problem disappeared straight away.

Others have said that the valve and gauze should be replaced (around $80) and no doubt they are right.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-13-16, 07:24 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Mike246;9446528]You have spent more on the car than what it would sell for! I sympathize as I am very attached to mine, having had it for 18 years.

Mine had the same issue and I posted. Some wise members came back and pointed me towards the Oil Control Valve (OCV) which controls the Variable Valve Timing by rotating the camshaft. The valve has a gauze filter which gets clogged.

The part is readily accessible at the front of the engine however I got my mechanic to take it out and clean it. The problem disappeared straight away.

Others have said that the valve and gauze should be replaced (around $80) and no doubt they are right.

I hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Mike246,

I forget to mention that I check that valve and when I look was super clear. Also, when I installing the timing belt, water pump and all the seals, I take and wash the valve as well. I always change the motro oil on time and with Synthetic oil. So, my engine is very clean as well. But, thank you for the input.
Old 04-13-16, 07:43 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Kevin3344,

The valve or hose that you mention ( REPLACED RUBBER SECTIONS OF LINES AT PURGE VALVE ). That is my 3er option to change. But, I saw a few pictures for another members and I saw the gas cable more type and I know for sure that my cable is more loose that the pictures that I saw. So, my next step tomorrow in the morning is look that cable and doble check again the air holes in the Intake Manifol area. But, thank you for you input.
Old 04-13-16, 07:57 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

bruceb58,

Firts, I think my scanner let me do that, check the voltage on the TPS, but right now my father have my scanner. What is the voltage that the TPS on the scanner need to let me know or I need to know if is good or not??
Also, if my scanner no have that future, how I can check the votage on the TPS?
Second, Noooo. This idle issue was before clean my throttle body. Also, I clean the throtle body with a pepal cleaner, I don't use any clean product to clean it.

Thank you to you as well for you help.

Last edited by Mcon; 04-13-16 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-13-16, 08:12 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcon
bruceb58,

Firts, I think my scanner let me do that, check the voltage on the TPS, but right now my father have my scanner. What is the voltage that the TPS on the scanner need to let me know or I need to know if is good or not??
Also, if my scanner no have that future, how I can check the votage on the TPS?
Second, Noooo. This idle issue was before clean my throttle body. Also, I clean the throtle body with a pepal cleaner, I don't use any clean product to clean it.

Thank you to you as well for you help.
Put a voltage meter on the sensor (while plugged in) and have someone press the throttle (or move the TB by hand since you're right by it) and watch the voltage on the meter and make sure its consistent with no jumps.

I'm sure you can find some videos on youtube to guide you on this
Old 04-13-16, 08:35 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you Mr. Jokster, you alway help everyone.

Last edited by Mcon; 04-14-16 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-13-16, 09:44 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Thank you Mr. Jokster, you alway help evething one.

Old 04-14-16, 08:57 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Mr. Jokster,
How I can check the TSP? In what of the 4 pins I need to pup the volt meter? I just try but not result?
Old 04-14-16, 09:59 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Never mind Mr. jokster, I saw which one it's. I try tomorrow morning. I'm late for work.
Thanks again,

Last edited by Mcon; 04-14-16 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 03:46 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

A week ago, I start my car and the idle issue start right the way. I just opened the hood and I start hear a noise that I never heard before. The noise was in the throttle body area, close to the TPS or Idle throttle body motor. I take a screwdriver a gave a few time, to the idle cover motor as well. No hard, only slightly. Just to see if something change on the idle or rpm? :um: Also, I move the accelerate cable and when I do that the idle problem just go away. The rpm go up enough to normal and a that point I just let them run for a few minutes to see or hear any issue. After that, the car run all day long fine. So, my problem is there, on the throttle body area.
1. THROTTLE BODY LEVEL SENSOR
2. THROTTLE BODY IDLE LEVEL SENSOR OR
3. The TPS.

One of the 3? How know with one is it? I do not have the time yet to check the voltage on the TPS or the Throttle Body Level Sensor but immediate I get the change I will do that. I keep everyone informed.
Old 04-26-16, 09:21 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

A week ago, I start my car and the idle issue start right the way. I just opened the hood and I start hear a noise that I never heard before. The noise was in the throttle body area, close to the TPS or Idle throttle body motor. I take a screwdriver a gave a few time, to the idle cover motor as well. No hard, only slightly. Just to see if something change on the idle or rpm? :um: Also, I move the accelerate cable and when I do that the idle problem just go away. The rpm go up enough to normal and a that point I just let them run for a few minutes to see or hear any issue. After that, the car run all day long fine. So, my problem is there, on the throttle body area.
1. THROTTLE BODY LEVEL SENSOR
2. THROTTLE BODY IDLE LEVEL SENSOR OR
3. The TPS.

One of the 3? How know with one is it? I do not have the time yet to check the voltage on the TPS or the Throttle Body Level Sensor but immediate I get the change I will do that. I keep everyone informed.
I hope you have it fiwed by niw because my car us doing the same thing olny things is I cant drive at all if I step on the gas at idle it boggs down like it gasping for air my last hope is the throttle body this all happen aftrr replacing a dead starter
Old 04-26-16, 09:38 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, I not have the time to check the TPS, Throttler Control Motor and Accelerator Sensor. My Mom was in the hostipal, I'm working OT all this days. :-( But immediately I have a break, I measure the voltage on each sendor and let you know what I found.

Quick Reply: I need help with this Idle issue that I have