GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help asap guys, cars stuck in the middle of my street lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 11:18 AM
Category5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help asap guys, cars stuck in the middle of my street lol

What's up guys, so im having this Dam problem AGAIN, put the key in ignition turn the key and it clicks once clicks as if the battery is dead but the battery is not dead because checking it with multimeter it's at about almost 13 volts but its my alarm system because my fob has been washed in the washer and doesn't work and the security light is blinking until I put the key in the ignition is there any way to turn off the security system? or the alarm? or is that what's even wrong?because when I put my key in the ignition and I turn it clicks you'll hear click one click and that's it I just as if the battery is dead does anyone have any suggestions my car stuck in the mill the street that back that out and I live on a hill which I rolled my car back so I can use my other car lights in the street to jump start my car but it turned out my car doesn't have a bad battery so no my car stuck in the street in my driveway and I can't have that obviously
Old 10-07-15, 12:02 PM
baconcake
Rookie

Maybe your alternator is bad?
Old 10-07-15, 12:30 PM
Category5
Driver

Default AA0p

Hey thanks a lot for replying man, I actually just had mine rebuilt about 3 months ago, almost certain thats not the issue as I've ran into this before with this Dam fob
Old 10-07-15, 01:33 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's what I'd do:

1.) try to jump start with another car - I know you said the battery shows 13V. However, a faulty vattery can still show 12-14V and not be able to supply the current that the starter needs

2.) If #1 fails, look at the alternator, starter/start solenoid, or ignition.

It's likely to be one of the items above.
Old 10-08-15, 12:27 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I assume you don't have a second key to make sure your fob is not faulty?
Old 10-08-15, 04:58 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its got to be a faulty starter solenoid.
Old 10-08-15, 05:54 AM
sugzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I second this. Sounds like a starter issue. I also suggest making sure that the battery cables are on properly. Sometimes when they have corrosion it can cause the same symptoms as a bad starter. I highly doubt its your key because the security light is turning off which means the car recognizes the key.... Good luck.

Last edited by sugzz; 10-08-15 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-08-15, 06:52 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

Definitely not an alternator issue. As stated above, its likely the starter. On the starter solenoid, there is a large wire which is battery positive and a smaller wire that is the start signal from the ignition switch. Verify that you have power on the battery wire at all times and verify the switch signal makes it to the starter when the ign. is in the start position.

A trick that usually works a few times with a failing starter, tap lightly on the starter with a hammer while someone is trying to crank it. Usually works.
Old 10-09-15, 08:43 AM
Category5
Driver

Whats up guys, first off thank you guys all very much for the help I really appreciate it, things have been a mess as I've been unable to even get on a computer to read any reply's and Wow that drove me mad. Anyhow thats cleared Up and thankful!

Here's what's Up, so I said hell with it and bought a new battery for my key and SURE ENOUGH!!! The the did she was not to ever be after all because suddenly my fo be decided that it wanted to work with a new battery unlocks the car locks the car open the trunk the whole nine yards. I got the battery tested (even know it gave me good readings as well but I did anyhow.) The starter I literally changed but it was off of a 2002 GS300, 90k miles on it. The reason I changed it was because it was doing the same dam thing.... Ive got a thread posted with photo's of what my starter looked like, crazy, never seen such damage done befor. Anyhow I did try tapping the starter actually but it didnt work.

I got to check the voltage at the starter, and what I was going to do was set up my phone to record my multimeters screen lol as im in the car and cranking it, then just watch the video hahaha but hey again, thank you guys for the assistance.
Old 10-09-15, 11:08 AM
Category5
Driver

Yes this old man (This old man? lol I dont know what was being said there but... ) I'm checking voltage at the starter which was at 12.18 volts and when I went to turn in the key the starter actually turned for a split second, but didnt start because I let off the key. I turned the key one more time, starter just clicked once again. Tried one more time and the starter turned completely perfect, full cranks and the car started as it should.... So heres my question, why am I suddenly burning through these solenoids? Two in like what 2 months? Wth?

EDIT*** lol!!! sorry talk to text doesnt work as well as I wish hahaha

Ive got video, ill post k

also! where should I pick one of these solenoids up from? Dealer?

Last edited by Category5; 10-09-15 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 07:10 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

I highly recommend dealer parts if you can afford them. They work correctly and for a long time. Most aftermarket stuff doesn't. Replace the starter and solenoid as an assembly. Never replace one without the other. A starter with a lot of drag will eat solenoids. Also, be sure your battery connections (batt, alt, starter, main grounds) are all solid and not corroded.
Old 10-09-15, 07:38 PM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

pics or it never hapnd lol jk
Old 10-10-15, 08:15 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Category5
Whats up guys, first off thank you guys all very much for the help I really appreciate it, things have been a mess as I've been unable to even get on a computer to read any reply's and Wow that drove me mad. Anyhow thats cleared Up and thankful!

Here's what's Up, so I said hell with it and bought a new battery for my key and SURE ENOUGH!!! The the did she was not to ever be after all because suddenly my fo be decided that it wanted to work with a new battery unlocks the car locks the car open the trunk the whole nine yards. I got the battery tested (even know it gave me good readings as well but I did anyhow.) The starter I literally changed but it was off of a 2002 GS300, 90k miles on it. The reason I changed it was because it was doing the same dam thing.... Ive got a thread posted with photo's of what my starter looked like, crazy, never seen such damage done befor. Anyhow I did try tapping the starter actually but it didnt work.

I got to check the voltage at the starter, and what I was going to do was set up my phone to record my multimeters screen lol as im in the car and cranking it, then just watch the video hahaha but hey again, thank you guys for the assistance.
I read your post twice and have no clue what you are saying.

what was the culprit in plain English please?
Old 10-10-15, 08:31 AM
Gdwrench35
Driver

I think he may have been drinking a bit??