GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How do I fix these issues on my gs430

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 07:07 PM
ckindley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I fix these issues on my gs430

Im currently wanting to sell my 2002 gs430. There are some issues with it id like to get fixed before hand. Any and all help would be appreciated.
1. None of the Door locks work with the key fob or the buttons on the doors. The unlock button on the drivers door makes a noise like it's sending a signal but seems though the actuators aren't receiving that signal. Same a the key fob, the lights blink and it makes the sound, but nothing happens. I've read on here that the actuators are bad, but i highly doubt all 4 went out at the same time.
2. The directional thing on the mirror reads - - .
3. The ac only works on the passenger side. The driver side seems to be stuck on 85 degrees in both dual mode and standard mode.
4.The switches won't move it to the floor. Works fine in the face mode. Is this a vacuum problem behind the dash?

Items 1 and 2 were the result of the previous owner replacing the battery. I dont know what that would have to do with those 2 features. I've checked all the fuses and they all seem good.
Old 05-07-15, 07:16 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ckindley
Im currently wanting to sell my 2002 gs430. There are some issues with it id like to get fixed before hand. Any and all help would be appreciated.
1. None of the Door locks work with the key fob or the buttons on the doors. The unlock button on the drivers door makes a noise like it's sending a signal but seems though the actuators aren't receiving that signal. Same a the key fob, the lights blink and it makes the sound, but nothing happens. I've read on here that the actuators are bad, but i highly doubt all 4 went out at the same time.
2. The directional thing on the mirror reads - - .
3. The ac only works on the passenger side. The driver side seems to be stuck on 85 degrees in both dual mode and standard mode.
4.The switches won't move it to the floor. Works fine in the face mode. Is this a vacuum problem behind the dash?

Items 1 and 2 were the result of the previous owner replacing the battery. I dont know what that would have to do with those 2 features. I've checked all the fuses and they all seem good.
All common issues, issue 1 is door lock actuators, 2 maybe a sensor?, 3 and 4 are both ac servo motors. There are DIYs on this site for fixing all of them I believe, maybe except that sensor.
Old 05-08-15, 02:07 AM
ckindley
Driver School Candidate

There has to be more of an explanation than that. I dont get how a servo motor would make the heat stay on. Anyone else?
Old 05-08-15, 03:20 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

go read the thread on the servo motor for your explanation

those are all pretty common problems
Old 05-08-15, 06:53 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

There has to be more of an explanation than that. I dont get how a servo motor would make the heat stay on. Anyone else?
Originally Posted by lynjiaopag
I dont get how a servo motor would make the heat stay on.
As stated these sound like common issues. A little searching and reading will provide lots of information. I searched "stuck heat" and quickly found this thread which seems to confirm your symptom matches those of bad AC Servo Motors: DIY Repairing Air Mix Servomotors

DIY's on the door actuators and the AC Servo Motors are available on the 2GS FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and DIY Thread. I would repair or replace one actuator and see if it fixes the issue at that door and then go from there..
Old 05-08-15, 08:48 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

How many miles on your GS430? Did you get the timing belt done? You don't seem like a DIY person so it just may be better to just sell it as is vs spending over $1K to get everything fixed. If you had to fix something, I think the climate control issue would be the main one to fix. If you have a very high mileage Gs430 then you may not see a return on doing any of the repairs
Old 05-10-15, 07:30 PM
ckindley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JLAWS
How many miles on your GS430? Did you get the timing belt done? You don't seem like a DIY person so it just may be better to just sell it as is vs spending over $1K to get everything fixed. If you had to fix something, I think the climate control issue would be the main one to fix. If you have a very high mileage Gs430 then you may not see a return on doing any of the repairs
Its got 121k on it and Im fine with diy. Im just not fond of wasting time.
Old 05-16-15, 10:05 PM
ChEEzCaKe
Driver School Candidate

its not a waste of time. it sounds like you def have a few servo motors gone bad. the thing is, the ac mix along with the driver/pass blend, the door lock actuators, and much more all run off these little tiny mini rc motors. they are relatively common and they all cost about 4 or 5 bucks. Lexus, on the other hand, wants to charge you to replace the entire assembly, including the actuator which contains the housing and servo motor we are talking about. this usually costs between$150-180 so you can do the math here. that little cheapo rc motor spins a shaft when charged with a 12v power source, aka our switches. on the shaft there sits a worm gear, which turns a series of gears inside the housing thereby leveraging up the torque until that little tiny motor can produce to make a big old stiff arm or lever shift with a relatively small power supply. you ask how can they be related, well that is precisely how. Specifically, one of the servo motors located on the passengers side controls the mix between passenger and driver side, and though I forget it's exact name, its most notorious symptom of going out is when one side is stuck on heat and the other is stuck on cool. all 3 or 4 are covered in detail in the DIY, as well as some other simple and advisable maintenance like cleaning your blower motor and replacing your cabin air filter(not the one in the engine bay). also, a simple servo motor controls the arm that opens and shuts your pre-vent ac tubing, thereby changing where you feel the air coming out. when that motor goes out, the gearing inside the motor and assembly locks up, preventing all that torque on the spring-loaded ac flaps from pushing it back shut....aka it gets stuck on some such setting of your mode/mix button (face, feet, defrost, etc). you said you were familiar with DIY right, so most of these will require nothing more than a little of you time, and likely are in your realm of possibility. With my experience, I would rate them a 6 out of 10, with 10 being the hardest. I wont lie, these will take simply just a lot of time actually, as some of the parts require a bunch of disassembling just to access them to take them out and work on them in the first place (but it's easy stuff you should be able to handle) and once you even have the parts out they are often small, complex, and very fidly. lucky for you on here at club lexus you are rarely the first person with any issue, and these exact ones in your case have indeed been addressed before. search for DIY servo replacement and you will be pleasantly surprised, or a PM and I'll get you the exact link if you need. hope this helps. definitely not a waste of time as lexus will not even kiss you when they are done with you, and you need not often buy new parts at all, saving you tons of money, which without even knowing you i'm sure you'll love, cuz that means less is broke on your car while your trying to unload it, and you can ask for more moolah from them. besides, a lexus gs is a luxury vehicle, and we drastically diminish that feeling you need to be selling when we neglect these little, albeit tedious and/or frustrating fixes. again, def not a waste of your time to search keywords on these issues.
Old 05-16-15, 10:14 PM
ChEEzCaKe
Driver School Candidate

im feeling generous. so to maybe convince you that you are not wasting your time searching a bit more, here is a link to get you started. the members name is sakataj, and he make a DIY sticky thread with photos and a detailed write-up of how to disassemble your dash, as well as the location and mounting of each of the servo housings, plus a few other useful maintenance tips while your in there. I believe on here he just takes out the housing and replaces it, however, inside each housing, and outlined further if you do some searching, there is a little rc motor that probably runs you no more than $10, a far cry from Lexus who refuses to supply even the motor inside's part number, no, they would rather sell you the whole assembly for like $200. Do yourself and your next owner a favor, do a little looking, I have faith in you bro, you can get all that fixed in a matter of a couple weekends, max, and way less moolah than you think.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html
Old 05-16-15, 11:26 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz,...... huh you say something?
Old 05-17-15, 05:26 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Its got 121k on it and Im fine with diy. Im just not fond of wasting time.
Well if you don't want to waste your time reading what they have stated are your common issues, why do you expect someone to waste their time explaining in detail what a click of a link will tell you?? Smh
Old 05-17-15, 05:28 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ChEEzCaKe
its not a waste of time. it sounds like you def have a few servo motors gone bad. the thing is, the ac mix along with the driver/pass blend, the door lock actuators, and much more all run off these little tiny mini rc motors. they are relatively common and they all cost about 4 or 5 bucks. Lexus, on the other hand, wants to charge you to replace the entire assembly, including the actuator which contains the housing and servo motor we are talking about. this usually costs between$150-180 so you can do the math here. that little cheapo rc motor spins a shaft when charged with a 12v power source, aka our switches. on the shaft there sits a worm gear, which turns a series of gears inside the housing thereby leveraging up the torque until that little tiny motor can produce to make a big old stiff arm or lever shift with a relatively small power supply. you ask how can they be related, well that is precisely how. Specifically, one of the servo motors located on the passengers side controls the mix between passenger and driver side, and though I forget it's exact name, its most notorious symptom of going out is when one side is stuck on heat and the other is stuck on cool. all 3 or 4 are covered in detail in the DIY, as well as some other simple and advisable maintenance like cleaning your blower motor and replacing your cabin air filter(not the one in the engine bay). also, a simple servo motor controls the arm that opens and shuts your pre-vent ac tubing, thereby changing where you feel the air coming out. when that motor goes out, the gearing inside the motor and assembly locks up, preventing all that torque on the spring-loaded ac flaps from pushing it back shut....aka it gets stuck on some such setting of your mode/mix button (face, feet, defrost, etc). you said you were familiar with DIY right, so most of these will require nothing more than a little of you time, and likely are in your realm of possibility. With my experience, I would rate them a 6 out of 10, with 10 being the hardest. I wont lie, these will take simply just a lot of time actually, as some of the parts require a bunch of disassembling just to access them to take them out and work on them in the first place (but it's easy stuff you should be able to handle) and once you even have the parts out they are often small, complex, and very fidly. lucky for you on here at club lexus you are rarely the first person with any issue, and these exact ones in your case have indeed been addressed before. search for DIY servo replacement and you will be pleasantly surprised, or a PM and I'll get you the exact link if you need. hope this helps. definitely not a waste of time as lexus will not even kiss you when they are done with you, and you need not often buy new parts at all, saving you tons of money, which without even knowing you i'm sure you'll love, cuz that means less is broke on your car while your trying to unload it, and you can ask for more moolah from them. besides, a lexus gs is a luxury vehicle, and we drastically diminish that feeling you need to be selling when we neglect these little, albeit tedious and/or frustrating fixes. again, def not a waste of your time to search keywords on these issues.
Kudos to you bro. After his waste time statement I would've let him fend fit himself. Lazy people annoy me.
Old 05-20-15, 01:01 PM
ckindley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
Well if you don't want to waste your time reading what they have stated are your common issues, why do you expect someone to waste their time explaining in detail what a click of a link will tell you?? Smh
It's not a matter of reading, I've read. And I understand what the symptoms are. By wasting time, I mean, I don't wanna rip the doors apart for servo motors if it's the ecu in the passenger side a pillar or rip my dash apart if all it needs is charged. See what I'm sayin. I'm down to do the work, but I'd like to try to pin point the issue before dismantling my entire Interior.
Old 05-21-15, 03:16 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not a matter of reading, I've read. And I understand what the symptoms are. By wasting time, I mean, I don't wanna rip the doors apart for servo motors if it's the ecu in the passenger side a pillar or rip my dash apart if all it needs is charged. See what I'm sayin. I'm down to do the work, but I'd like to try to pin point the issue before dismantling my entire Interior.
Then read the links provided and fix it -

Not trying to be rude here but you've been provided with the answers and you don't seem to want to believe it.

As already stated, there is a list of common things that go wrong with the 2GS - every one of your troubles fit one of the items on that list.

To elaborate (and possibly help you see what's going on):

- Problem #1 is SUPER common, you can fix it yourself in about 4 hours or less and $20 for all 4 doors (I believe it was coincidental with changing the battery) And yes, my latest GS4 had ALL 4 motors dead. If you really want to know, pull the actuator from one door (maybe 10 min) and test it.

- Problem #2 is Super simple - go to a big parking lot and drive in circles till the compass calibrates itself - I know, hard to believe, but TRUE.

- Problems #3+4 are related (just different servos) and they are typical symptoms of the servos going bad - which is well documented, along with the fix. - Also there are NO VACUUM lines behind the dash it's not a Chevy.

It would be one thing if you got one answer from one person telling you it was this or that - but with threads dedicated to the problems you have - and their fixes, I'd think you'd have just fixed them by now.

And yeah - I've had these same issues over my 10+ years owning a few 2GS's and fixed them myself with the help of this community.