GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 07:08 AM
Joeyc850
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock problem

I have a 1998 gs400 and if i try to lock/unlock the doors with the key on the driver side door (manually, i dont have a remote) only the driver side locks/unlocks but if i lock/unlock from the passenger side all the doors lock/unlock as as should. Is this a bad driver side power lock actuator ? or what could be the problem?
Old 10-02-13, 07:16 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeyc850
I have a 1998 gs400 and if i try to lock/unlock the doors with the key on the driver side door (manually, i dont have a remote) only the driver side locks/unlocks but if i lock/unlock from the passenger side all the doors lock/unlock as as should. Is this a bad driver side power lock actuator ? or what could be the problem?
The problem you're describing does not seem to be related to bad actuators.

A bad power lock actuator that is common with the GS would actually make the door NOT operate using any powered method of lock/unlocking. Meaning you'd have to push the lock by hand from the inside, etc., (or the key for the fronts). If the driver's door and all the rest open using the key from the passenger side (by flicking the key once or twice) then all the actuators seem to be fine (since they're 'actuating' the locks).
Old 10-02-13, 07:35 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Just tried it on my car; this seems to be normal behavior.
Old 10-02-13, 07:40 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Ok wait, it think I know what's going on. Yes this is normal IF you are only turning the key ONCE on the driver side. Most factory settings on most cars I've driven will need TWO turns of the key (turn it once, go back, do it again) and that will then unlock all doors. Passenger side key unlock system varies. In your case (maybe all 2GS, I haven't paid attention) one turn unlocks all.

I recall reading on a sticky that a dealer can adjust several features, one of them might be where it unlocks ALL doors if you press the Unlock button once on the key, but I'm not sure if that applies to TURNING the key once on the DRIVER door.
Old 12-26-13, 04:58 PM
Joeyc850
Driver School Candidate

Well I forgot to mention it but when I turn the lock twice the doors don't unlock/lock I can hear them trying to unlock/lock but struggling and can't actually lock
Old 12-26-13, 09:20 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Joey,

You mention that you can hear the doors struggling to open. That sounds like an actuator problem to me, but not the driver side door actuator. Each door has its own actuator, so it would be the actuator in the door that is failing to open. The actuators have small electric motors in them that grow weaker over the years (usually the brushes wear out). I just replace a couple in my gs300. As for why you cannot open the doors from the driver side but can from the passenger side, I am only guessing here, but you may be getting just a little bit more current to the actuators from one side than the other, just enough to make them work.
Old 12-28-13, 05:53 PM
Joeyc850
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
Joey,

You mention that you can hear the doors struggling to open. That sounds like an actuator problem to me, but not the driver side door actuator. Each door has its own actuator, so it would be the actuator in the door that is failing to open. The actuators have small electric motors in them that grow weaker over the years (usually the brushes wear out). I just replace a couple in my gs300. As for why you cannot open the doors from the driver side but can from the passenger side, I am only guessing here, but you may be getting just a little bit more current to the actuators from one side than the other, just enough to make them work.
so i should replace all the actuators?
Old 12-28-13, 09:56 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I think you need to replace all the actuators. It's a fairly easy DIY job. There are a couple of good threads and videos that show you how to do it, at least two are on this forum. In fact, I think there is a sticky on this site with several pages dedicated to the actuator problem, it is pretty common.

If you are going to DIY start with a back door, they are a little easier than the front doors. It'll help build your confidence. A couple of things to keep in mind, some videos say to take out the window. Roll it all the way up and removal is unnecessary.

It will be quicker to make the repair if you buy the actuators on eBay. You should find them for about $90 each. However, the cheapest way is the put a new motor in the actuators have. You can get 4 motors on eBay for under $20 and you will need a gear puller to remove a fitting from the old motor that has to go on the new motor. Also, cracking the case on the actuator to put in the new motor can be a PITA but it is more than doable by a person with minimal mechanical skills. If you can turn a wrench and a screwdriver, you can do this yourself.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-15, 11:08 AM
ckindley1
Driver School Candidate

What did you figure out with the locks. Im having an issue with mine. The previous owner changed the battery, and the locks stopped working as well as the direction thing on the rear view mirror. Whats the link between these 2 things?
Old 03-13-15, 12:53 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Okay guys, new to the GS but not new to CL. Just last week my passenger door lock actuator stopped working intermittently so I ordered a used one off of eBay. It arrived today and I replaced it, no issues, followed all of the steps.

Here's the problem, it exhibits the exact same problems as the once I just took out. It unlocks and locks about two cycles then it won't work. After a while (about 10 minutes) it can do about two cycles again before it quits.

My question is, is this an issue beyond the door actuator? Like is there something that isn't providing enough power to the actuator itself? I still have the old one that I took out, so I am going to take it apart and probably replace the motor.

Is it just that this one is worn out too?
Old 03-13-15, 07:19 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Make sure everything is lubed properly. I would just change out the motors though. Order them and the puller of EBAY. Follow the DIY on here
Old 03-14-15, 06:26 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like dirty contacts on the drivers door since passenger door opens all of them or possibly door module (computer)
Old 03-14-15, 07:51 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you mean dirty passenger contacts? Since it was my passenger one that was acting up?

It seems to work okay for everyday driving so far, fingers crossed. I could not for the life of me get the gearbox assembly open for the old actuator, I tried heating it up slightly, but I just couldn't pry it open.