GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

big lip question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 02:46 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big lip question

so i got a question ive seen some of you guys with big lips in the rear like 5in or so rolling pretty damn low and i dont see too much camber or too much of a fender mod.

so my question is how are you you rolling that low on a lip of atleast 5in in the rear with what looks like little to no fender pull at all? and not crazy camber also.

also reason for my question is that my wheels im putting on soon has a 5in rear lip pokes bout an inch or so but it was only a test fit since i dont have tires yet, still finding the right sizes.
Old 12-07-12, 03:23 PM
SoicyGS300
Driver

Originally Posted by TxLexus400
so i got a question ive seen some of you guys with big lips in the rear like 5in or so rolling pretty damn low and i dont see too much camber or too much of a fender mod.

so my question is how are you you rolling that low on a lip of atleast 5in in the rear with what looks like little to no fender pull at all? and not crazy camber also.

also reason for my question is that my wheels im putting on soon has a 5in rear lip pokes bout an inch or so but it was only a test fit since i dont have tires yet, still finding the right sizes.
I hope you find the answer to your question, because that's my favorite look. Big lip, no crazy camber, low stance, and no super crazy widened bodywork. Just an all around clean look.
Old 12-07-12, 03:44 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

ive seen a few cars here and there so i know im not dreaming lol.
Old 12-07-12, 03:44 PM
AEeighty6
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ca you give examples of members running 5" rear lip with little to no camber or fender mod?...it will have to be one or the other...more camber less fender mod...or more fender mod less camber...I have 5" rear lip and will soon have 6" rear lip...I am only running -6 camber but I also had to pull my fenders a lil bit. If you go less fender work...you will most likely need adjustable suspension other than coilovers so you can bring it in with more camber...
p.s. if i am giving wrong information then please ignore lol...

you can see my setup on my recent thread..good luck!
Old 12-07-12, 04:08 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

1. They have a good pull, so you don't notice.

2. The back pad on their wheel face is as small as possible (super low disc face).

3. The have wheel faces that curve in a lot. Lets you get a bigger lip (Fabulous profounds for example).

4. Alot of cars also look nice slammed in pictures but have to ride down the highway aired up with the wheels poking out.

If it was easy to get that size lip on the car everyone would have it. I just rebuilt my ssr gt3's with a 4.5 inch outer and 6.5 inch inner and it pokes a little at 19x11+24. Only about 3.75" of the lip is exposed after the face is put in, but it's good enough for me.
Attached Thumbnails big lip question-1.jpg  

Last edited by tiger4life; 12-07-12 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 05:10 PM
SoicyGS300
Driver

Originally Posted by AEeighty6
ca you give examples of members running 5" rear lip with little to no camber or fender mod?...it will have to be one or the other...more camber less fender mod...or more fender mod less camber...I have 5" rear lip and will soon have 6" rear lip...I am only running -6 camber but I also had to pull my fenders a lil bit. If you go less fender work...you will most likely need adjustable suspension other than coilovers so you can bring it in with more camber...
p.s. if i am giving wrong information then please ignore lol...

you can see my setup on my recent thread..good luck!
Yeah, Your setup looks real nice, I'm sure it takes fender work to clear those types of lips, but as long as it's clean looking I like it. Plus you're not running crazy camber, thats the look I'm shooting for. To each his own but I'm not into the obvious looking body alterations and crazy negative camber for the sake of big lips. Take Marus for example, His car is the pinnacle of the look I like. I know he did alot of fenderwork to fit those 20"x10"s in the front and the 20"x12" rims in the rear and sit so low while being static and not running crazy camber. He sets the bar for Clean Fitment in my book. Kped on the other hand, went to the exact opposite extreme. Totally changed the rear quarter panels of the car, giving the rear a wide boxy look and runs so much camber that his wheels look tilted on a 45 degree angle, but also achieves maximum lip sizes. Both have Beautiful 2GS's, but most people are going to Love one of these 2 cars and hate the other one. I think the OP would favor Marus's GS over Kped's like myself.
Old 12-07-12, 07:14 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoicyGS300
Kped on the other hand, went to the exact opposite extreme. Totally changed the rear quarter panels of the car, giving the rear a wide boxy look and runs so much camber that his wheels look tilted on a 45 degree angle, but also achieves maximum lip sizes.
If I can recall. a shop messed up his fenders so threw on the boxer fenders. For the insane camber, I vaguely remember if he runs it any other different way his toe would be way off.

OP, No way you can run 5in lip with no fender mods or a good amount of camber. I'm about 5inch lip with about -6.2 camber on stock body.

Possibly you can run super weak offset with big lips, but theres a chance it'll hit your strut tower.
Old 12-07-12, 07:44 PM
AEeighty6
Pole Position

its all about the offset
Old 12-08-12, 06:09 AM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

i guess i just didnt want to run excessive camber like -9 or something and or pull on my fenders a lot, i mean mine are shaved but i really dont want to pull on the rears much. im still finding the right tire size and more than likely ill probably camber it to fit it.

this is what im dealing with:
Old 12-08-12, 07:08 AM
AEeighty6
Pole Position

u will need to max camber on stock suspension parts...so close to or almost -6....you will then need to pull...good luck!
Old 12-08-12, 07:27 AM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

ill probably just go with aftermarket camber/toe arms and camber as much as i can before i need to pull hopefully.
Old 12-08-12, 09:43 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled, cambered, stretched tires and radiused lol. I did all the stuff that I didn't wanna do. You will have to do fender mods and camber and toe arms for sure. Good luck
Old 12-08-12, 10:54 AM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

camber/toe arms for sure but was hoping not to pull, but oh well. your fitment does look good, how wide are your wheels and tires? if you dont mind me asking, mine are around 13 edge to edge and im thinking maybe a 275 or 265.
any advice helps me save time and money lol.
Old 12-08-12, 11:13 AM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

camber/toe arms for sure but was hoping not to pull, but oh well. your fitment does look good, how wide are your wheels and tires? if you dont mind me asking, mine are around 13 edge to edge and im thinking maybe a 275 or 265.
You will definitely need a pull to have your wheels fit right. I myself like the "stock appearing" look but the body work has to be flawless. That's the only way you'll have that fitment and still remain stock appearing to the less knowledgeable people. Some that come to mind are Big Ty (even his rear doors are pulled almost an inch to fit those 19x12 in the rear) and YaKuZa_GS has a nicely executed pull without the crazy camber. If that is the look you're after then be prepared to spend $$$ on some quality body work. GL.
Old 12-08-12, 11:31 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Wheels are 19x11.5 & tires are 245/35/19. I'm not even done with my qtrs yet lol. I also had to tub the inside of my wheel wells. I'll start finishing it up next year. So you have 19x12s? You can stay away from pulling if you use 245/35/19s and run stupid camber lol but be prepared to buy tires

Quick Reply: big lip question