GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

5k or 7.5k Mobile 1 synthetic oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-12, 07:19 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Damn reading these posts makes me feel either a little stupid or easy more period proud about being meticulous with my car. I use Castrol Synthetic Titanium. And since I bought my car in February 2012 I've been changing three oil every 3K-4K. Idk if that's bad but it seems right. And I know my bad boy will appreciate it on the long run. Also use K&N oil filter. I forget what number it is. Either HP 1002 or HP 1004. Definitely one of those 2 those.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-13-12, 07:29 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also use castrol synthetic with bosh distance plus filter and do change it at 6-7k because thats what i drive a year ( so for me its once a year)
Old 10-14-12, 11:50 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chicov8
with a good filter and synthetic oil i would go 10k or once a year
I could easily do that. Maybe even longer than that. I drive about 15k a year and only change my oil out twice within the year using nothing but synthetic....and I agree with you, I think changing every 3k with synthetic is overkill
Old 10-14-12, 11:57 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
I could easily do that. Maybe even longer than that. I drive about 15k a year and only change my oil out twice within the year using nothing but synthetic....and I agree with you, I think changing every 3k with synthetic is overkill
3k is overkill with normal oil unless you are on a race track or something
Old 10-14-12, 10:44 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by repugnante
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicov8

with a good filter and synthetic oil i would go 10k or once a year

How is changing your oil with fully synthetic every 3K miles overkill? I don't get your logical train thought on that one buddy. Please explain!

Old 10-14-12, 11:17 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

It's all personal preference..... Too many threads like these.
Old 10-15-12, 04:45 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
How is changing your oil with fully synthetic every 3K miles overkill? I don't get your logical train thought on that one buddy. Please explain!

It's beyond overkill buddy! Dino oil can easily go 5k under any condition with good TBN left. With syn, the oil molecules don't break down/sheer as easily as dino, thus the reason why you can do an extended oil change interval. Most syn oil can do 8-11k easily, with an respectable amount of TBN left. Once your TBN get's to 2, it's time to change it. That's why he said it's over kill and you are only throwing money away. A more simple way to put it is that after you drain your syn oil at 3k, someone else can literally reuse that same oil and get another 5-6k out of the same exact oil you just drained. Since I'm sure you don't know what TBN is, google it or go to BITOG for more info to educate yourself. You are doing nothing but hurting your wallet...but I work in the oil industry, so if you want to keep doing 3k changes, PLEASE KEEP ON lol. It's good for business
Old 10-15-12, 06:45 AM
Dirtybrd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do every 15k with syn, but with a filter change and top off every 5k
Old 10-15-12, 09:29 AM
showtymers
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know sometimes , its just something to do a reason to tinker with the car if you are a mech/tech hobbyist.. but who is to say changing oil is too early.. rather early then pushing the limits of any oils longevity , i mean its just an oil change it shouldnt even become a back and forth on how long a person should stay on a particular oil.. synthetic or dino, better to change the oil early then too late . frequent maintenance like checking oil is what keeps the car in tip top shape
Old 10-15-12, 02:13 PM
AKS14
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only issue with longer service interval is that the oil will slowly break down over time/with use, and it will lose effectiveness, and you will notice a lot of the motors that recommend longer service interval will have sludge problems.

Look in the late 90s/early 00 Audi/VW 1.8T motors, they recommended a 10k oil change interval, then had to remit that statement and change service intervals as tons of people were having sludge issues.

I go 4-4500 mile interval with synthetic blend.
Old 10-15-12, 02:17 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Even the service advisors at Lexus say it ok to go 7500 on synthetic. there are many threads like these. 5K is okay for regular oil but you can go alot further with synthetic. so, its up to YOU to decide. it won't hurt either way change it at 5K or at 7500 or 10K. I'm going to do my next oil change at 8500 with a oil analysis and see how much more i can push synthetic oil..
Old 10-15-12, 05:24 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aneidiaz

You really need to educate yourself about using synthetic oil. There are plenty of threads throughout the forum about this topic. Here's some food for thought. I've been using Royal Purple or Mobil 1 synthetic exclusively and I change my oil just twice a year... in May and in November. I've followed this schedule for almost 4 years and have no issues.
Old 10-15-12, 05:29 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by showtymers
You know sometimes , its just something to do a reason to tinker with the car if you are a mech/tech hobbyist.. but who is to say changing oil is too early.. rather early then pushing the limits of any oils longevity , i mean its just an oil change it shouldnt even become a back and forth on how long a person should stay on a particular oil.. synthetic or dino, better to change the oil early then too late . frequent maintenance like checking oil is what keeps the car in tip top shape
BINGO thank you! Someone logically speaking.

Old 10-16-12, 07:17 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AKS14
The only issue with longer service interval is that the oil will slowly break down over time/with use, and it will lose effectiveness, and you will notice a lot of the motors that recommend longer service interval will have sludge problems.

Look in the late 90s/early 00 Audi/VW 1.8T motors, they recommended a 10k oil change interval, then had to remit that statement and change service intervals as tons of people were having sludge issues.

I go 4-4500 mile interval with synthetic blend.
Syn blend is a waste of money. You should just go ahead and buy dino. Syn blend contains between 10-20% syn oil and the rest is dino. Another way of looking at this is within a 5qt jug of oil of syn blend, it only contains .5 to 1qt of oil that full syn. Yeah it's a waste. Either go full dino or buy syn. I have syn in my car now, but I have 2 yrs worth of dino I bought a multiple k-marts that were closing...so I will be switching back to 5k oci's with dino.
Old 10-16-12, 11:42 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I change my oil every 7-8k miles. I don't go by time. I use Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic extended performance w/ matching filter.

Quick Reply: 5k or 7.5k Mobile 1 synthetic oil change?