GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

NEED HELP ASAP!!! - 3 Status Lights ON

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-02, 12:29 AM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question NEED HELP ASAP!!! - 3 Status Lights ON

I was wondering if someone can help me out with what's going on with my car. Ok, for the record, I have a 98 gs400 with approx. 51k miles. This morning when I was driving my car to work I noticed 3 of the dashboard status lights on - 1. VSC 2. ABS & 3. VSC OFF.

There is nothing that appears to be wrong when I was driving it. I started the car after gettin off work and the same lights appeared as soon as I started the car and again nothing appeared or felt wrong with the car. The braking seems fine and so does the handling of the car.

In terms of related upgrades, I got the Supra TT calipers and rotors with lines installed about 5k miles ago in July. Anyone got any ideas before I take my car to the dealer???
Old 11-13-02, 01:23 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You check the gas cap and make sure it's on there nice and tight? If you got gas recently and didn't tighten it, I think the lights you see will pop up. Otherwise let us know what codes the dealer pulls. Good luck
Old 11-13-02, 02:03 AM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Let me check that out, cuz I did fill up last night. I'll update the situation when I get back from the gym.
Old 11-13-02, 06:11 AM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

I tried the gas cap thing and all 3 lights are still on. Anyone got any ideas???
Old 11-13-02, 07:47 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

bitkahuna had a similar problem, oh, a year or so back.......bad abs sensors were the culprit (actual culprit was the tech who installed his TRD front sway bar upside down, leading to clearance problems between the bar and the front sensors when suspension compressed over bumps).......but I haven't read any posts from other owners of the big brake setups who've had problems similar to yours

probably, any number of glitches can light that combination of warning lights......you might PM DevilDog, who is not only a mod but a Lexus tech/mechanic for more detailed answer, but bottom line is going to be a trip to the dealer.......
Old 11-13-02, 08:30 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever you do, DON'T reset the ECU; the codes will be lost.
Old 11-13-02, 02:35 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

More than likely you had a misfire in one of your spark plugs. This is a common cause of the VSC/VSC OFF/ENGINE light problem. I had that happen to me also. You VSC is still working so don't worry too much about it. Like Dex said, you rather be safe than sorry so don't reset the ECU by pulling the battery. Go to the dealer, and have it checked out. More than likely that was what it was.

Lee
Old 11-13-02, 07:12 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably one of your ABS sensor. If the check engine light come on, you will have the check engine and VSC light, but you got the VSC and ABS light. Go to the dealer.
Old 11-13-02, 10:27 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by VVT-i
Probably one of your ABS sensor. If the check engine light come on, you will have the check engine and VSC light, but you got the VSC and ABS light. Go to the dealer.
Finally, the voice of sanity!
Old 11-14-02, 12:09 AM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

I doubt its a spark plug is misfiring....I changed my plugs about 6K miles ago to the TM plugs. There is no performance difference of the car before and after the lights came on. I made an appt. to take my car in on Saturday....I hope it's not a big deal and just a broken sensor or something {CROSSING FINGERS}.
Old 11-14-02, 12:50 AM
strshooter
Rookie

MRGS4...

Same thing happened to me, but my gs was covered by warranty.
Dealer replaced the rt front speed sensor. No further problems.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-02, 02:10 AM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same thing happen on mine about a month ago. I replaced the brakes and the rotors and the lights went out. I am not sure if thats your problem but it was mine. My brakes had about 5% left on them and the rotors were pretty much fugged aswell.
Old 11-14-02, 07:29 AM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Question VERY USUAL!!!

I was driving back from the gym tonight....when I turned on the car, the lights were on as usual. Then, about a mile from the gym at a stop light, I loved down and noticed that the lights were GONE and stayed off till I got home (another 5 miles). I'm gonna see what happens tomorrow morning when I start the car on the way to work. What I'm thinking, I may need to replace the rear pads as they have NEVER been replaced with the car having over 52K miles on it.
Old 11-14-02, 07:32 AM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Question Question for the Tech guys????

Would having the rear pads been worn too much cause those 3 lights to go on???
Old 11-14-02, 09:59 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Question for the Tech guys????

Originally posted by MRGS400nSoCali
Would having the rear pads been worn too much cause those 3 lights to go on???
Nope. I'd listen to VVT-i on this one (since he's a Certified Lexus Mechanic), and have the dealer check out the speed sensors. This same thing happened to me, dealer induced unfortunately. They pulled a wheel to do some maintanence, and in the process bunged up the drivers front sensor which resulted in the same three lights you have. The really bad thing was that they gave the car back to me like that

Quick Reply: NEED HELP ASAP!!! - 3 Status Lights ON