GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

urgent help please with upper control arm bolt stripped

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 07:17 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default urgent help please with upper control arm bolt stripped, slipped. UPDATE!!!

Hello all CL
I tried to change the uca today and I was putting the 14mm upper left bolt in and It was going all the way in close to being tighten but it kept stripping at the end. I took the bolt off but couldn't tell if the bolt was stripped at the very tip or is it possible that I did strip the thread? Should I just buy new bolt and try it or bring the car to the shop and have it rethread? One more thing, are the left and right bolt same size? Please help.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Update...
I found a solution to my uca bolts were being slipped while trying to tighten it.
The problem was on the hood there were 2 square screws that hold the the bolts together. 1 screw in facing toward the front of the hood, the other facing toward the rear. The front 1 was easier to spot then the rear.
Solution to my problem: I found out that both of the uca bolts HAVE to lock in these 2 screws in order to tighten it, if the bolts don't line up properly to alight with these screws the bolts will slip and slip.
So, if anyone ever need to replace the uca's please pop the hood And look for those screws to make sure the bolts go thru it.
I was fairly an easy DIY..
I found my solution so I just wanna share with everyone on this CL. my contribute is small but I feel like I should update is post(if anyone should ever have the same problem) to repay all the members that had help me with various DIY on this CL..
Please correct me if my grammar is terrible. I'm ESL
I live and learn.
This CL is the best

Much thanks to all the moderators and all the COOL members on this CL

Last edited by GS4TEK; 06-02-12 at 04:26 PM. Reason: UPDATING
Old 06-01-12, 10:42 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The left and right side are both same direction thread. If you've taken the bolt out and the threads on the bolt look ok then maybe the threads on the hole might be stripped. But its strange that that the bolt would thread in all the way only to slip at the end. Usually they would cross thread and get super tight instead of slipping. It almost sounds like using a wrong head size socket how it slips when torquing. Maybe just try buying new bolts and re-thread the holes
Old 06-02-12, 09:43 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Swap the bolts around and see if the problem follows. Better to do that before trying to rethread something that doesnt need it. Also, try adding a small washer and see if that solves the problem. Lastly, use some red loctite to hold the bolt in and check it for a few days.
Old 06-02-12, 04:01 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
The left and right side are both same direction thread. If you've taken the bolt out and the threads on the bolt look ok then maybe the threads on the hole might be stripped. But its strange that that the bolt would thread in all the way only to slip at the end. Usually they would cross thread and get super tight instead of slipping. It almost sounds like using a wrong head size socket how it slips when torquing. Maybe just try buying new bolts and re-thread the holes
Thank u very much for the help
Old 06-02-12, 04:02 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Swap the bolts around and see if the problem follows. Better to do that before trying to rethread something that doesnt need it. Also, try adding a small washer and see if that solves the problem. Lastly, use some red loctite to hold the bolt in and check it for a few days.
Really appreciate ur help