GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My gauge and radio lights blacked out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 10:37 AM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My gauge and radio lights blacked out!

Tried some searching but nothing came up on why my gauge and radio lights blacked out!

It happened a few days ago when I tried to start the car and when it didn't I popped the hood to make sure my battery terminal connections were secure. Then after wiggling them a bit the car started but my gauges don't light up including my radio.

Now when I drive at night its all dark and I can't even see how much gas is left!

I don't know if its a bad circuit board, or a fuse, maybe my clusters gone bad? But why would my radio lights not turn on then? Not sure, but any help would be appreciated thx a lot!!!
Old 05-03-12, 10:48 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery for a longer time. It had help others with this situation
Old 05-03-12, 01:03 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This happened to me when attempted to install strobe lights as my reverse light and ended up short circuiting the wires and it blacked out my gauge. Pitch black and my gauge didn't work. Like most people would do, I panicked and started sweating an the same time fanning myself ( I joke ). I checked all the guesses under the good and everything seems fine until I checked the driver side fuse box by the footwell and saw a 10a fuse blown. I didn't have any fuse available so I decided to hop on the passenger side footwell fuse box and "borrowed" a 20a fuse from the "heated seat" slot. I didn't have heated seat so I didn't think nothing of it. Popped the 20a fuse into the 10a fuse slot that was blown and "voila!" my gauge works!!! Along with my ECT and another warning light appeared on my gauge. WTF!!! Started to fan myself again. So I took the 20a fuse off and put it in its original place. Went to go by the correct fuse and put it in its place and everything is gravy, right? WRONG!! The dang warning lights didn't disappear. At this point, I wish my leg would stretch and kick myself in the forehead. I looked online and I did the battery trick for 15 min, didn't work. 30 min, didn't work, 1 hour, didn't work. Overnight, didn't work. Next day, I had to go to work so I drive carefully and after 15 minutes of driving, the warning lights disappeared! I was ecstatic! Just to be on the safe side, I went to my friend shop and had him reset my ecu with the obd2 scanner. Never again will I do that again. Lesson today is, never take shortcuts when it comes to something you rely on. Treat it as if you were to treat your wife, only better. Long story short, check your fuse on the driver side footwell and look for a 10a fuse (I think it's for the gauge). If you get those warning lights like I did after you replace the fuse, do what I did. Oh yeah, thank you for reading my story. Reading is golden! Until next time! Lol ... You also might want to check your wires if you installed something and they might of touched. Your system, strobe lights, etc... Never hurts to check. I know for sure my gauge blacked out due to short circuiting my reverse lights.

Last edited by YxUxMADDDD; 05-03-12 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 01:46 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ My suggestion was going to be a blown fuse
Old 05-03-12, 02:11 PM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Try disconnecting the battery for a longer time. It had help others with this situation
Yup this worked!!! Thank you very much GS4_Fiend. Saved me a lot of headache and trouble

Thx for everyone else's input, I appreciate it! Love you too CL.