GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weird issue, harmonic balancer related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-12, 05:22 AM
Kzoosho
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird issue, harmonic balancer related.

Well on Sunday, it was really nice so we all decided to do a shoot. I agreed to come out for a short amount of time since I have tons of work to do. Everything was going fine till I smelt burning rubber as my alternator light came on. My first thought was, alternator going out. No big deal. So I pull into my local parts store. While the car is running the light goes off so I open the hood. As I open it I notice my serpentine belt spinning really slow. So I give it a little gas.

The belt slows down not speeds up. I immediately shut the car down to see what the issue is. I grab the tensioner , it seems fine. Grab the belt. Little old but not cracked. Lastly I look at the crank pulley aka harmonic balancer. The pulley is no longer attached to the balancer. WTF. So I see Wat needs to be replaced. I walk in the parts store. Them get more bad news. They can't get the part. All the parts store can't get them. Last call was the dealer. $407 for the part and a day to get it. Holy crap. So I made a call to summit racing. Ended up with a fluidampr for 409 and got it in a day. Well enough talk here are the pics I took.

Old 03-13-12, 04:44 PM
Kzoosho
Driver

Well. A little update. The oem Lexus replacement was $407, I bought a Fluidampr for 396. Made more sense to upgrade. The unit I got is a sealed one piece do it'll never split again. Here is the part number as well

Part#: FLU-840801
Item: DAMPER TOYOTA 2JZ

Last edited by Kzoosho; 03-13-12 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 11:57 AM
cynbird
Driver School Candidate

hey, my harmonic balancer separated from the rubber inner ring thingy and totally flew out off of the shaft, gouged the fan, and ended up sliding around in the underbelly of the car! Luckily not much harm done, as the fan still works with the gash in it, and the belt somehow stayed on and works just fine. I found a replacement part for the harmonic balancer, but my local shop says that there is a special tool to get the thing off - they tried for 4 hours to no avail! Am trying to avoid a costly labor charge from the dealership so I want to verify whether this does in fact require a special tool to remove, or what?? Thanks!