GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SRT ECU Location?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 01:18 PM
kdick91
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT ECU Location?

Howdy!

So I just ordered the SRT intake and ECU for my GS4 and I read that their piggyback ECU fits in the stock ECU box for a 'stealth' install. I really don't care if my black box is visible under my closed hood and I'd really not prefer to wedge electronics in a closed box, especially when the instructions advise to pop some plastic out for better ventilation.

My question is, has anyone just installed this right outside the ECU box? Would this be cooler than inside the box being inside the hot engine bay? Where would be the coolest place to mount this without extending the wiring harness?

Thanks,
Kyle

EDIT: If this should be in the 'Performance' section, just move it please. Sorry if this is in the wrong area.
Old 02-26-12, 06:12 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kdick91
Howdy!

So I just ordered the SRT intake and ECU for my GS4 and I read that their piggyback ECU fits in the stock ECU box for a 'stealth' install. I really don't care if my black box is visible under my closed hood and I'd really not prefer to wedge electronics in a closed box, especially when the instructions advise to pop some plastic out for better ventilation.

My question is, has anyone just installed this right outside the ECU box? Would this be cooler than inside the box being inside the hot engine bay? Where would be the coolest place to mount this without extending the wiring harness?

Thanks,
Kyle

EDIT: If this should be in the 'Performance' section, just move it please. Sorry if this is in the wrong area.
Mine has sat on top of the ECU box for over 100k miles. I did not want it sitting next to the ECU for heat reasons either.
Old 02-26-12, 06:20 PM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The box isnt really 'heat proof'. I bought my car with the SRT inside of the ecm box and I've had the car since 2010 without issues. Put it where they recommend it. Just because there have been a few bad apple ecu's and issues with a few members on here doesn't mean you don't follow their directions....
Old 02-26-12, 10:24 PM
kdick91
Driver

Originally Posted by justablkv8
The box isnt really 'heat proof'. I bought my car with the SRT inside of the ecm box and I've had the car since 2010 without issues. Put it where they recommend it. Just because there have been a few bad apple ecu's and issues with a few members on here doesn't mean you don't follow their directions....
I'm sure their directions are fine, I just don't want to make provisions for air flow. It's kinda like oil... Some auto manufacturers say conventional is fine if you change every 3000, but we all know synthetic would always be better. So that's what I'm doing, just grabbing for more air flow to the AAFC.
Old 02-27-12, 12:44 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lex1420
The correct location for the SRT ECU is in the nearest trash can. They say to vent the ECU box because its a poorly designed chip that overheats! Buy a used Apexi NEO and get it tuned. The SRT ecu is total junk and if it messes your car up the owner of the company will promptly flake out on any help or replacement.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ed-my-maf.html
To be honest I think you're being pretty harsh. Just because a couple faulted out doesn't mean every SRT is trash. There are plenty of people on here running them for years and have had no problems. Just because a couple of people had some trouble doesn't mean everyone who orders after will.
Old 02-27-12, 02:10 PM
kdick91
Driver

Lex1420,
I have been in the car world for a very long time and have gotten some bad pieces of equipment before. It happens. But I understand where you're coming from, nothing leaves a sour taste in your mouth like bad customer service. This is after the fact though. I bought the item, I'm taking the risk and I'm okay with that. Try to stay on topic please and not flame a bunch of threads. Again, I'm sorry for what happened to you, it's not right, but this thread is not about that. If it does happen to me, I can assure you it will be the last time I deal with them.

Everyone else,
Thank you for your input, it looks like I'm going to mount it on top or on side of the ECU box!

Thanks,
Kyle