GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Key shell keeps breaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 01:05 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
You guys need to stop sitting on your key or throwing them around.

I've had my car 14 years now, still on my original set.. looks almost brand new..
Same here. My keys are original and still looks fresh no cracks. When you use the key, you got to be gentle when turning the key
Old 02-08-12, 01:37 PM
Kzem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
I got two flip keys and they were cut to my key code from eBay for 49 dollars. Be warned the flip key is almost as big as my cell phone
Yeah i got the same deal. The flip key is huge but it gets the job done and 2 of them cut for 49$ was pretty good since i only had 1 key at the time and i didn't want to get a programmed one at the dealership for like ~$275
Old 02-08-12, 02:14 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Kzem
Yeah i got the same deal. The flip key is huge but it gets the job done and 2 of them cut for 49$ was pretty good since i only had 1 key at the time and i didn't want to get a programmed one at the dealership for like ~$275
What do you mean programmed? The chip is in the fob not the key. You simply put your fob (from your broken key) into your new key and you are good to go no programming involved. The dealer showed me a key ( without the fob) for 100.00 plus 25.00 to cut it (this is for one key not a flip key a normal one)
Old 02-08-12, 11:11 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

1. the chip fits directly into those ebay flip keys? (trunk, unlock, and lock all line up?
2hows the feel of the buttons and the quality?
3. and what do u mean they cut it specifically to your code?
4. does this mean you just switch the chip and your good to go?

i might pick up one for my mom as a present.
is it really as big as cell phone?
Old 02-09-12, 05:01 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
1. the chip fits directly into those ebay flip keys? (trunk, unlock, and lock all line up?
2hows the feel of the buttons and the quality?
3. and what do u mean they cut it specifically to your code?
4. does this mean you just switch the chip and your good to go?

i might pick up one for my mom as a present.
is it really as big as cell phone?

1. Yes, you take out the remote control module from your old key and put it into the new key. The remote control module is what has the chip that enables the engine to start
2. Since the buttons are on the remote control module it will feel the same as your current buttons since they are the same buttons
3. You should have a key code for your car. If you do not have a key code take your title and your drivers license to your Lexus dealer and by law they have to give it to you for free (this is what I did) when you order your key you give them this key code and then they can cut the key that fits your ignition ( this is assuming that you have the original ignition in your car)
4. Yes ( if by chip you mean the remote the part with the buttons and the battery take care of this part because it is expensive. I would change the battery also on the eBay one I bought I got two flip shells with cut key and they included one battery for free

Almost as big as a small cell phone (about 3/4 the size) if you have your steering column telescoped all the way in when you activate your wiper stalk (to turn on the wipers) it rubs the key

The flip key looks to me to be more robust than the normal key by looking at the design but only time will tell. Maybe someone who has had one for a long time can chime in

Last edited by sam12345; 02-09-12 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 11:39 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Make sure the little screw holding the key is fully secured. That's what gives the key housing it's strength. Once that screw is loose, then the key will crack very easily. I usually put some loctite in there so it doesn't work loose over time.
Old 02-09-12, 12:44 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone stated make sure to grab the bottom portion of the key to put less stress on the shell. I too went through multiple OEM shells back in my GS days.
Old 02-09-12, 11:30 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

1. Yes, you take out the remote control module from your old key and put it into the new key. The remote control module is what has the chip that enables the engine to start
2. Since the buttons are on the remote control module it will feel the same as your current buttons since they are the same buttons
3. You should have a key code for your car. If you do not have a key code take your title and your drivers license to your Lexus dealer and by law they have to give it to you for free (this is what I did) when you order your key you give them this key code and then they can cut the key that fits your ignition ( this is assuming that you have the original ignition in your car)
4. Yes ( if by chip you mean the remote the part with the buttons and the battery take care of this part because it is expensive. I would change the battery also on the eBay one I bought I got two flip shells with cut key and they included one battery for free

Almost as big as a small cell phone (about 3/4 the size) if you have your steering column telescoped all the way in when you activate your wiper stalk (to turn on the wipers) it rubs the key

The flip key looks to me to be more robust than the normal key by looking at the design but only time will tell. Maybe someone who has had one for a long time can chime in
so new key should be able to open trunks, doors, etc.? doesnt that make it problematic cause then that key would be able to open other Lexus GS (i.e. someone else has the keys to my car). thanks for all the info! i REALLY REALLY appreciate it! i still have the original manual, i wonder if the key code is in there

who was the ebay seller that u picked it up from? can u send that info my way? thanks!
Old 02-10-12, 06:45 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

so new key should be able to open trunks, doors, etc.? doesnt that make it problematic cause then that key would be able to open other Lexus GS (i.e. someone else has the keys to my car). thanks for all the info! i REALLY REALLY appreciate it! i still have the original manual, i wonder if the key code is in there

who was the ebay seller that u picked it up from? can u send that info my way? thanks!
I don't understand your comment. The key is cut to the key code for your car so it can only open the trunck, door , glove box of your car not other cars. the key code is unique to your car. And only you have the key code to your car. If you mean the guy you bought the car from. I guess he could if he has the key code get some keys made and steal your car (if he has the remote part with the buttons since the chip is in it that allows the engine to start)

Just go on ebay and search for flip key for lexus gs400 and look for the one that has 2 flip keys and battery for 49 dollars.
Old 02-10-12, 10:34 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

I don't understand your comment. The key is cut to the key code for your car so it can only open the trunck, door , glove box of your car not other cars. the key code is unique to your car. And only you have the key code to your car. If you mean the guy you bought the car from. I guess he could if he has the key code get some keys made and steal your car (if he has the remote part with the buttons since the chip is in it that allows the engine to start)

Just go on ebay and search for flip key for lexus gs400 and look for the one that has 2 flip keys and battery for 49 dollars.
thanks for the help, i was just wondering so in reality how many key codes there are for lexus, and if each individual car is different (which would mean my key only works for me).
Old 02-17-12, 09:17 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone please identify which eBay seller has the proper key? 1999 GS300

Can any hardware store cut these keys?
Old 02-17-12, 10:47 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

^ this is the one i was directed to by sam, i havent bought it yet because my keys are fine, but im gonna buy one pretty soon for my moms lexus

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=160735545967
Old 02-17-12, 12:46 PM
vanquish2
Rookie

I bought mine from my local dealer....they started offering a lifetime warranty on their shells. $79.99 and your set.....I'm sure they would ship to you no matter where you are....hit em up I guess and try. 317-580-2848
Old 02-17-12, 01:32 PM
VAgs430
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive broken 4 of them myself and I bought this one and honestly its a PITA. The blade is slightly longer than it should be and the wiper arm cannot fully be turned on unless you fold the key when its in the on position. I would personally just do what someof the other members did and buy several OEM style ones and get them all cut.

^ this is the one i was directed to by sam, i havent bought it yet because my keys are fine, but im gonna buy one pretty soon for my moms lexus

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=160735545967
Old 02-17-12, 11:07 PM
islexusred
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blackgloss
This almost happened to me i turned the key and heard a crack. Sounds dumb but i took a tooth pick and gorilla glued the case along the seam. It actually feels stronger than ever. No problems since on the original 1998 key
hahahahaha. imana try it too mine keep breaking too.

Quick Reply: Key shell keeps breaking