GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Shaking at 60mph cured???

Old 03-01-12, 01:38 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IAGS400
I hate to tell you this but my GS400 has has this problem since NEW right off the show room floor. The first owner took it in many times to complain and they never figured it out. I've since changed rims and had 3 different sets of tires on it. The only thing that helped hide it was my snow tires have very weak sidewalls and I don't get the shake when they are on the car.
I wish Lexus would find out the culprit for this problem THERE HAS TO BE A RECALL ON THIS!!!!
Old 03-01-12, 04:22 PM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

someone I know at a Lexus dealer in Tampa had some subframe and suspension parts replaced a few ago. From what I heard and understand this was done by lexus on the 2gs and it was a testing/pilot program.

The way our suspension was designed I.e. stock height etc
Old 03-01-12, 06:32 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by justablkv8
someone I know at a Lexus dealer in Tampa had some subframe and suspension parts replaced a few ago. From what I heard and understand this was done by lexus on the 2gs and it was a testing/pilot program.

The way our suspension was designed I.e. stock height etc
Wow that's interesting, apparently none of my wheels are bent and all is good but I can still feel the shaking after my tire balance, so I called Lexus, they told me to get them road force balanced(Monday) I really hope this works, the shop today said no suspension parts looked worn on my car and there was no play in the wheels, I don't even know if they checked.. Smh...
What if everyone on clublexus that has this problem, I know there has to be a lot on here, not counting those who aren't, that have this, calls Lexus ALL IN ONE DAY and complains and complains, we would get somewhere with them wouldn't we?If my RFB don't work I'm calling Lexus 35x a day and complaining to headquarters, dead serious

Last edited by DosyBoy; 03-01-12 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-11-12, 10:17 AM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just recently put my 20's on I know the rims are in good shape and I'm running Toyo proxes on them.... I had them road force balanced and still had the shakes at 60 and over.... Took them back to the shop for another balance thinking that maybe they messed up, but same thing again.... Next step for me is a wheel alignment.... I am already running all daison bushings so def don't think that the prob... I will keep you guys posted as I get things done and how it helped the infamous shakes....
Old 03-11-12, 10:21 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone may want to research this further but I think there is some older threads where they placed the blame on the steering rack. (early GS400's)
Old 03-11-12, 11:53 AM
CTGS
Rookie

I see everyone talking about the ball joints and control arms but what about the wheel bearings?
Old 03-11-12, 07:14 PM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same rims on the altima and when I put them on I also had the shakes at 60 like the Lexus to cure that I road forced balanced put hub rings and et lugs.... On the lex I have done all this except the et lugs so i took a shot and ordered them today hopefully this will solve the problem, if not on to the wheel alignment like I said in previous post..... Supposedly the et lugs keep the rims tighter and firmer against the hub.... I'll keep you updated....
Old 03-24-12, 03:23 PM
girvan
Rookie

I’ve had my car 14 years next month. I threatened Lexus with the Lemon law when new due to shake. Since then been through 4 sets of tires and 3 sets of OEM 17’s and one set of OEM 18 rims.

The wheels and tires must be 100.0000% round AND balanced AND concentric with hubs. That is the one thing that will trigger issues. I’m not saying that worn joints or really bad alignment won’t cause a problem. They will make shaking easier to happen but the fundamental cause is a concentric rotating mass exciting the resonant frequency of the front suspension.

There is a very extensive TSB on this. The first few months of cars produced (mine) had roller bearings in the steering to make the friction even lower for enhanced steering feel. These cars are even more sensitive. Thankfully my mechanic at the time resisted the option in the TSB to change to the later less sophisticated bearing but it means I need everything perfectly balanced.

Some tips:

• Hunter Road force balanced wheels and EXPERT technician is a MUST. Demand perfection, not just good enough. And obviously the rims need to be 100% straight. I had 3 OEM 17’s replaced under goodwill warranty in the first year.
• Carefully and gradually torque the wheel on the car like you were doing a cylinder head. Also make sure the mounting surfaces are spotlessly clean. This make sure the wheels and hubs are concentric and not distorted. Gorilla’s using guns at tire shops WILL violate this every time and cause a hard to diagnose problem.
• If you are using any form of centering ring for aftermarket wheels, consider buying a gold chain and wearing them round your neck and buying a toy car. That’s about the only profession use they have.
• Get first tier tires, forget $150 knock-offs.
• Keep them inflated at or above the door sticker. I have found the ride, wear and tendency to go out of round are much better a 4-6 lbs. higher.
• Even after all of the above, the tire will often take on a “set” after parking. It is unpredictable. Usually 5 miles on the freeway makes them round again.

Never had a problem in the last 13 years once these issues were understood and my car is more sensitive than most due to earlier roller bearing set up, yet when new I was really close to legal action..

And there is some theory and some evidence that ((over) tightening the steering rack meshing bolt might help. That is meant to be used to adjust for perfect meshing (no play) on the rack, not as a friction damper. Now a friction damper MIGHT help MASK a marginal out of balance force but that is all it is doing – masking. Friction is not cure for unbalanced or loose components and that bolt (Hex screw) is not designed to be a friction adjustment. Lexus went out of their way in early cars to take all the friction out of the steering rack for good reason.

Last edited by girvan; 03-24-12 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-24-12, 04:05 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Got 4 new tires, Goodyear eagle gt high performance all seasons,
And an alignment and mine is finally 100% gone, I can go 80 and it feels like 50, my mechanic just checked my lbj and said there is no play whatsoever, they won't budge 3 guys tried, I got 120k miles on my car and I bought it with 118k on it, I have no clue if my lbj are oem or not... But what got me baffled is my steering wheel was still shaking slightly after my new tires and my alignment, the guy at Goodyear said it must be a steering problem, whatever, so I left Goodyear drop the car off at my mechanic, 10 miles away, wheel is shaking even when Im on my way there, now a couple hours later I pick the car up,take it down the highway and the vibration after 6 months is gone!? Mechanic said they never tightened anything and all my bushings look good, and they can't budge my lbj and I have zero play in the wheel? I'm baffled, this was 2 weeks ago and the shake is still gone..Crossing fingers*

Last edited by DosyBoy; 03-24-12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-24-12, 09:32 PM
girvan
Rookie

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Got 4 new tires, Goodyear eagle gt high performance all seasons,
And an alignment and mine is finally 100% gone, I can go 80 and it feels like 50, my mechanic just checked my lbj and said there is no play whatsoever, they won't budge 3 guys tried, I got 120k miles on my car and I bought it with 118k on it, I have no clue if my lbj are oem or not... But what got me baffled is my steering wheel was still shaking slightly after my new tires and my alignment, the guy at Goodyear said it must be a steering problem, whatever, so I left Goodyear drop the car off at my mechanic, 10 miles away, wheel is shaking even when Im on my way there, now a couple hours later I pick the car up,take it down the highway and the vibration after 6 months is gone!? Mechanic said they never tightened anything and all my bushings look good, and they can't budge my lbj and I have zero play in the wheel? I'm baffled, this was 2 weeks ago and the shake is still gone..Crossing fingers*
Temporary FLAT SPOTS on the tires more than likely. This suspension is really sensitive to out of balance or out of round from just parking. Only happens on cold tires.

That confuses a lot of folks into searching for another problem. And if it happens when there really is another problem you are even more confused.
Old 03-24-12, 09:40 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by girvan
Temporary FLAT SPOTS on the tires more than likely. This suspension is really sensitive to out of balance or out of round from just parking. Only happens on cold tires.

That confuses a lot of folks into searching for another problem. And if it happens when there really is another problem you are even more confused.
Thanks for the input! But how didn't my LBJ go yet if their oem? I got 121k miles almost, anyway to tell if their original?
Old 03-26-12, 08:51 AM
Lexlthr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Thanks for the input! But how didn't my LBJ go yet if their oem? I got 121k miles almost, anyway to tell if their original?
Before I replaced mine whenever I made a turn the steering wheel would not snap back on it's own. I had to help it. Now that they are replaced it's snaps back on it's own. I also have about the same amount of miles as you. (Just under 122k.)
Old 03-26-12, 11:32 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexlthr
Before I replaced mine whenever I made a turn the steering wheel would not snap back on it's own. I had to help it. Now that they are replaced it's snaps back on it's own. I also have about the same amount of miles as you. (Just under 122k.)
My steering is super tight and my wheel returns to center with no problems at all, I'm good then? For now?