GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is300 vs gs300

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 06:23 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartune
an amped up corrolla would be a camry or es. nice cars,
well, I was referring to the is = corrolla. The is300 shared the same chassis as the corrolla I believe. Never liked the car. It was a poor answer to the the 3 series and A4's out there
Old 10-04-11, 06:30 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
The is300 shared the same chassis as the corrolla I believe.

Do you have anywhere that shows that? I really doubt the Corolla and the IS share anything, completely different platforms, FF and FR, completely different motor/chassis mounts, just about every part on those cars are different. Are you sure you aren't getting the SC and Supra mixed up? Those are much more closely related and share multiple parts between them.
Old 10-04-11, 06:44 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ not sure. But I have been told that in the past
Old 10-04-11, 07:28 AM
AKS14
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have driven a number of my friends IS300s, and I currently own a GS300..

I was looking in to getting an IS300 as my previous daily was a 240sx (Small sporty 2 door) but I could not find any in my price range that were clean so I picked up a GS300.

The IS is much more sporty, it seems a little quicker in stock form, and definitely goes through the turns with a bit more confidence.

Interior space is less the then GS, the seats are not quite as comfortable, and you seem to notice squeeks/creeks/etc a little more in the IS. The GS seats definitely have more room, especially the rear.

Both get about the same gas mileage and both have pretty much the same life expectancy/service requirements.
Old 10-04-11, 07:35 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea had a s14 before, sporty just like the is
Old 10-04-11, 08:05 AM
AKS14
Pit Crew

Yeah, the IS is a good step between the S14 and a bigger 4 door.

Its still sporty and fun, but its much much more practical. The only reason I got a GS is because I couldnt find a clean IS with under 100k for what I was wanting to pay, and I found a 1 owner GS300 with 85k for a steal that was mint.

The GS will definitely get kind of boring driving, but it is super comfortable (driven it multiple 3+ hour trips, and a 6+ hour trip as well without any issue, where as my S14 after 3 hours in it I wanted to kill myself)

Either one is a good choice though. I still kind of want an IS just because it would be more fun, but my GS is super nice... I may just have to register my S14 again and start driving that every now and then to get my fix.
Old 11-06-11, 09:09 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

thx for the input fellas

well test drove almost a dozen gs300, car is slow. i know, its the weight. my IS feels better for driving enjoyment. then test drove gs400. wow i like it, i like the way the power is, just like when i was looking for a is300. seat wise, it is more comfortable and relaxing on GS than IS, all because of the more cushion/padding seats.

I am just a lil worried about maintenance on GS400, found this black on black, 160k. $6k. no record of maintenance but owner claims timing belt& water-pump replace around 140k. the timing belt does not look old/need to be replace. I know this because when i bought the IS early this year, timing belt looks old, so i replace it right away at 120k and other maintenance while at it. runs better, really enjoy the car.

so hard to find reasonable GS
Old 11-06-11, 10:16 PM
1GSLuVeR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you like the GS400 so much, then get one for now. Worst case scenario, in the future you want your IS back, then you can always sell and switch. 6k is not a bad price at all and the mileage on that GS is not bad...
Old 11-07-11, 05:26 AM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Cartune
thx for the input fellas

I am just a lil worried about maintenance on GS400,
What are you talking about? What maintenance difference to a GS3? 2 more spark plugs to replace? What?
Old 11-07-11, 05:26 AM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by perry05g35
Step up to a GS4
+1
Old 11-07-11, 08:30 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

if anyone have free carfax/autocheck, lmk. thx. car is been repainted. new tails and headlights. owners claim wreck. small fender bender im cool with. i know sometimes an accident will not show up on reports.
Old 11-07-11, 08:35 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i Say go GS...you will enjoy the ride better....IS is sporty yes but its not like its the fastest 4 door out there stock...the GS has a lil punch but not as quick as the IS bec of weight difference but thats it...GS is more classy, smoother riding, plus women like GS girls like IS lol
Old 11-07-11, 10:05 AM
Busha
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
i Say go GS...you will enjoy the ride better....IS is sporty yes but its not like its the fastest 4 door out there stock...the GS has a lil punch but not as quick as the IS bec of weight difference but thats it...GS is more classy, smoother riding, plus women like GS girls like IS lol

I have a GS 400 and I love it I have 323000km running stronger than ever!!!! My car drives like dream but to change the starter aaaaaah!!! But Other than that it's all good😜
Old 11-07-11, 02:28 PM
cschroder
Driver

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
IS is high school, gs is all grown up
Old 11-07-11, 05:53 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Year: 1998
Make: Lexus
Model: GS400
Style/Body: Sedan 4D
Class: Upscale - Luxury
Engine: 4.0L V8 EFI
Country of Assembly: Japan
Vehicle Age: 13 year(s)
Calculated Owners: 5

AccidentCheck

Reported Accidents: 2

Title and ProblemCheck:

Your vehicle checks out!

OdometerCheck:

Odometer discrepancy(ies) reported
Last Reported Odometer Reading: 154,884

Vehicle Use and EventCheck:

Specific vehicle use(s) or events reported
This vehicle's AutoCheck Score 27. normally its 30-56. my current is300 iirc 60+

Accidents Reported on This Vehicle

Accident No. Date First Reported Location
1 7/20/2003 QUEENS COUNTY , NY
2 2/25/2005 KEENE , NH
Reported accidents or damage events are a result of vehicle collisions or other noncollision incidents such as vandalism or theft. Not all accidents or damage events are reported to AutoCheck.

Title and ProblemCheck
Your vehicle checks out! AutoCheck's database for this 1998 Lexus GS400. shows no negative titles or other problems. When reported to AutoCheck, these events can indicate serious past damage or other significant problems, and disqualifies the vehicle for AutoCheck Buyback Protection. Check the Vehicle Use and EventCheck for reported accidents that can affect vehicle safety and value.
0 Problem(s) Reported: 15 Title/Problem areas checked:
No abandoned title record
No damaged title or major damage incident record
No fire damaged title record
No grey market title record
No hail damage title record
No insurance loss title or possible total loss record
No junk or scrapped title record
No manufacturer buyback/lemon title record
No odometer problem title record
No rebuilt/rebuildable title record
No salvage title or salvage auction record
No water damaged title record
No NHTSA crash test record
No frame damage record
No recycling facility record

The AutoCheck Score is a summary of your vehicle's history. It lets you compare similar vehicles with ease. About the AutoCheck Score

This vehicle does not qualify for Buyback Protection

Unfortunately, this vehicle does not qualify for our Buyback Protection program.
About Buyback Protection

so 1998 gs400 160k $6k. buy it? the only thing im worried if when i sell the car, it would be hard due to the history of it. some people dont care, some looking for a good track record. put your self when buying a car (or even your previous/current car). with a history like that, would you buy it?

Quick Reply: Is300 vs gs300