GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rubber jack pad

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 09:29 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rubber jack pad

Got a racing aluminum jack but the round cup thing has teeth that are way to big for jacking by the crossmember. Any idea where a guy could get a rubber pad that slips over it? Kinda like the one the guy has in the "jack your car up DIY"?
Old 09-21-10, 09:35 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dunno what the deal is with japanese steel but i think its total garbage, ive managed to cause damage when lifting my gs even with the stock jack placed in the proper place, on flat ground, moving the jack up very slowly and steadily. i have to use a piece of 2x4 to jack my car up because if the weight is not spread out over a length of 2 feet it will bend and destroy everything, this was the case in all 3 of my GS's on the other hand when i jack up my mustang i cant even so much as put a scratch on the lifting points.

Last edited by D-Boi; 09-21-10 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 09:44 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

yea both my front pinch welds are pushed in, and this new high end $350 jack has too big of a cup for the cross member, so that is why I need this thing, but cant see to find anywhere...

Originally Posted by D-Boi
i dunno what the deal is with japanese steel but i think its total garbage, ive managed to cause damage when lifting my gs even with the stock jack placed in the proper place, on flat ground, moving the jack up very slowly and steadily. i have to use a piece of 2x4 to jack my car up because if the weight is not spread out over a length of 2 feet it will bend and destroy everything, this was the case in all 3 of my GS's on the other hand when i jack up my mustang i cant even so much as put a scratch on the lifting points.
Old 09-21-10, 09:45 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I've read that some members use a hockey puck.
Old 09-21-10, 09:56 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

i wish i would have used the 2x4 method before i destroyed evey jacking point in the car, its soft as butter it is
Old 09-21-10, 10:05 PM
lo_dit
Lead Lap

lol i use an extra headlight rubber grommet. but a hockey puck does sound pretty legit.
Old 09-21-10, 11:31 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

here in canada we have a lot of hockey pucks. Just to check since i am a total newb, its right under the lca#2 that the jacking point should be right?
Old 09-22-10, 06:13 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Harbor freight sells those jack pads pretty cheap. I got one, but havent been under the car much since I bought it. Its pretty thick tough rubber though...

http://www.harborfreight.com/floor-j...pad-96306.html

They also make those pinch weld adapters for jacks that have a removable top piece....I havent used one before but have always been curious.

example here, Ive never used this website, for pic purposes only.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/grip...r-p-12467.aspx
Old 09-22-10, 09:01 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i kinda jack up my car the wrong way... i jack it up via the tow hooks up front....

the back i jack it up on the rear diff.
Old 09-22-10, 09:12 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

I use rear tow hooks too lol. Another question is where the f@@@k do you put the rear jack stands as the frame rails seem to end in the middle of the car? Pic?

Originally Posted by vwynn
i kinda jack up my car the wrong way... i jack it up via the tow hooks up front....

the back i jack it up on the rear diff.
Old 09-22-10, 11:07 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Dammit, that pad is 5 and 1/4" mine is only 4"...

Originally Posted by 97JZA80
Harbor freight sells those jack pads pretty cheap. I got one, but havent been under the car much since I bought it. Its pretty thick tough rubber though...

http://www.harborfreight.com/floor-j...pad-96306.html

They also make those pinch weld adapters for jacks that have a removable top piece....I havent used one before but have always been curious.

example here, Ive never used this website, for pic purposes only.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/grip...r-p-12467.aspx
Old 09-22-10, 01:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by pizdets17
Another question is where the f@@@k do you put the rear jack stands as the frame rails seem to end in the middle of the car? Pic?
You can put your jack at the rear OEM jack point.

Kinda like this:

Old 09-22-10, 02:24 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

I was talking about jack stands rather than the jack, that wont bend the pinch welds? Also is that right under the control arm #2 that you jack up the front? Sorry about all the stupid questions, I just bought this huge jack and trying to figure out how to not mangle my car...Still can't find anything that fits the jack cup thingy either...

Originally Posted by GSteg
You can put your jack at the rear OEM jack point.

Kinda like this:

Old 09-22-10, 02:40 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pizdets17
I use rear tow hooks too lol. Another question is where the f@@@k do you put the rear jack stands as the frame rails seem to end in the middle of the car? Pic?
i have seen pictures of people putting jack stands under the lower control arm right beneath where the shock bolt is. i have never done it myself.

to jack up the car on the sides, i remove the "cup" on the jack to reduce crushing of the pinch welds.
Old 09-22-10, 02:50 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Well thats the problem, like I said front pinch welds were ruined by a 18 yr old kid at the tire shop last year so cant use them at all...

Originally Posted by onihc
i have seen pictures of people putting jack stands under the lower control arm right beneath where the shock bolt is. i have never done it myself.

to jack up the car on the sides, i remove the "cup" on the jack to reduce crushing of the pinch welds.

Quick Reply: Rubber jack pad