GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

01 gs430 motor mount replacement attempt

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 07:40 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by krispl
These are very helpful pics! Thank you lyonkster!!! I haven't lowered the crossmember before. I was just trying to get them out without having to mess with crossmember! You just gave me an inspiration!
You're quite welcome, glad to be of help. It's easy to drop the crossmember, just remove the four nuts on the long studs, and it can be lowered. You only need to lower it a couple of inches to gain the needed line of sight and access. Makes the job much easier.

It's still a pain, but doable if you are mechanically inclined.
Old 09-29-10, 02:17 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
You have to drop the crossmember to get access to those nuts on top of the mounts. Once you drop the crossmember a few inches, you'll see the nuts. You can see the nut in the center of the picture below.

Of course getting to them is a whole separate issue. You need either a box end wrench with some funky bends in it, or make your own, or do what I did - sacrificed a box end wrench by cutting off the open end, and slipping a tube over the handle. Worked like a charm.

But it is no fun, it took me an hour or two screwing around with that nut before I got it off. The other side was no problem, once I got the hang of it. But you have to drop the corssmember, and lift the motor, as others have said.
At what mileage did you replace them? Where they falling apart?
Old 09-29-10, 03:01 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

At what mileage did you replace them? Where they falling apart?
They were shot at about 60K, I replaced them around 75-80K (can't recall offhand). The old ones were shot, I have a picture of one, it is a goner. More importantly, my car used to idle roughly at low RPM (without the AC on), and I thought it was just the engine being rough. With the new mounts, it idles like a dream at 400 RPM, so it's like a whole new car.
Old 09-29-10, 06:16 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Here are a couple more pics. First one is of the lowered crossmember from a little further away, so you can get the bigger picture. You can still see the nut on top of the motor mount. Second photo is of the old motor mount, you can see that it was almost sheared in half. I checked my records, turns out I replaced them at 90K, probably about 30K later than I should have .

Old 09-29-10, 06:22 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Here are a couple more pics. First one is of the lowered crossmember from a little further away, so you can get the bigger picture. You can still see the nut on top of the motor mount. Second photo is of the old motor mount, you can see that it was almost sheared in half. I checked my records, turns out I replaced them at 90K, probably about 30K later than I should have .

Thanks again! By looking at your and other members' pics it looks like all of them are failing in the same spot! I'm at almost 96k miles so it's time to replace them Did you get original Lexus parts or aftermarket?
Old 09-29-10, 06:46 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Did you get original Lexus parts or aftermarket?
I went with OEM, although given how poorly the originals performed, maybe there is a better aftermarket alternative, I don't know.
Old 09-29-10, 06:52 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

I went with OEM, although given how poorly the originals performed, maybe there is a better aftermarket alternative, I don't know.
the problem is, there aren't any available aftermarket mounts. Megan makes some for the SC and i think the IS but last time i checked, no one made any for us
Old 09-29-10, 07:06 PM
dl11
Driver

Any alternatives you can think of other than cutting off the end of the wrench? Also, did you just tighten it as hard as you can since it seems impossible to fit a torque wrench in? Looking to do it this weekend and I want to have all the tools ready before I start messing with the car.
Old 09-29-10, 07:26 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by dl11
Any alternatives you can think of other than cutting off the end of the wrench? Also, did you just tighten it as hard as you can since it seems impossible to fit a torque wrench in? Looking to do it this weekend and I want to have all the tools ready before I start messing with the car.
There probably are some alternatives if you plan ahead (I was into the project when I realized that I had no other means to loosen the nut, and this seemed like the lesser of all evils ). But if you have a really long box end, or have superhuman strength, you might be able to loosen the nut with that, without having to use an extension like I did. Once you get into it you'll realize that even with the dropped crossmember, there is exceedingly little room to play with, you are constrained on all sides by the motor, suspension, steering, and body components, so there is not much swinging room at all.

As far as torquing, yeah, no way was I going to get a torque wrench on that nut, so I just gave it a good heave-ho and called it done.
Old 10-06-10, 08:12 PM
krispl
Pole Position

There probably are some alternatives if you plan ahead (I was into the project when I realized that I had no other means to loosen the nut, and this seemed like the lesser of all evils ). But if you have a really long box end, or have superhuman strength, you might be able to loosen the nut with that, without having to use an extension like I did. Once you get into it you'll realize that even with the dropped crossmember, there is exceedingly little room to play with, you are constrained on all sides by the motor, suspension, steering, and body components, so there is not much swinging room at all.

As far as torquing, yeah, no way was I going to get a torque wrench on that nut, so I just gave it a good heave-ho and called it done.
@ lyonkster do you remember what the crossmember nuts torque is when putting them back? I'm gathering everything for this weekend and want to make sure that I have every single detail
Old 10-06-10, 08:18 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Btw this is what I got to handle this nut!

Old 10-09-10, 03:17 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was quoted $749.96 by Lexus of Austin this week to replace both the engine and tranny mounts on my 2003 GS430 w/118k miles, which seemed kind of pricey. I trust my service writer as I have used him for years now, but how does this sound to you all?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-10, 10:16 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Sounds about right if it includes parts, which alone are nearly $300.
Old 10-11-10, 12:44 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds about right if it includes parts, which alone are nearly $300.
i would assume that was without the parts, it is the stealership btw guys....
Old 10-11-10, 03:03 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

@ lyonkster do you remember what the crossmember nuts torque is when putting them back? I'm gathering everything for this weekend and want to make sure that I have every single detail
I was never able to find a clear answer to that, as I do not know what Lexus calls the "crossmember" - I couldn't find any reference to a crossmember in the shop manual. I think I settled for something like 100 ft-lbs.

So were you able to get this done last weekend???

Quick Reply: 01 gs430 motor mount replacement attempt