01 gs430 motor mount replacement attempt - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005)
01 gs430 motor mount replacement attempt >

01 gs430 motor mount replacement attempt

Notices
GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

01 gs430 motor mount replacement attempt

Reply

 
 
 
Old 09-29-10, 07:40 AM
  #31  
lyonkster
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ca
Posts: 523
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by krispl View Post
These are very helpful pics! Thank you lyonkster!!! I haven't lowered the crossmember before. I was just trying to get them out without having to mess with crossmember! You just gave me an inspiration!
You're quite welcome, glad to be of help. It's easy to drop the crossmember, just remove the four nuts on the long studs, and it can be lowered. You only need to lower it a couple of inches to gain the needed line of sight and access. Makes the job much easier.

It's still a pain, but doable if you are mechanically inclined.
lyonkster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 02:17 PM
  #32  
krispl
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA Bay Area
Posts: 218
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lyonkster View Post
You have to drop the crossmember to get access to those nuts on top of the mounts. Once you drop the crossmember a few inches, you'll see the nuts. You can see the nut in the center of the picture below.



Of course getting to them is a whole separate issue. You need either a box end wrench with some funky bends in it, or make your own, or do what I did - sacrificed a box end wrench by cutting off the open end, and slipping a tube over the handle. Worked like a charm.






But it is no fun, it took me an hour or two screwing around with that nut before I got it off. The other side was no problem, once I got the hang of it. But you have to drop the corssmember, and lift the motor, as others have said.
At what mileage did you replace them? Where they falling apart?
krispl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 03:01 PM
  #33  
lyonkster
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ca
Posts: 523
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by krispl View Post
At what mileage did you replace them? Where they falling apart?
They were shot at about 60K, I replaced them around 75-80K (can't recall offhand). The old ones were shot, I have a picture of one, it is a goner. More importantly, my car used to idle roughly at low RPM (without the AC on), and I thought it was just the engine being rough. With the new mounts, it idles like a dream at 400 RPM, so it's like a whole new car.
lyonkster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 06:16 PM
  #34  
lyonkster
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ca
Posts: 523
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Here are a couple more pics. First one is of the lowered crossmember from a little further away, so you can get the bigger picture. You can still see the nut on top of the motor mount. Second photo is of the old motor mount, you can see that it was almost sheared in half. I checked my records, turns out I replaced them at 90K, probably about 30K later than I should have .



lyonkster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 06:22 PM
  #35  
krispl
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA Bay Area
Posts: 218
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lyonkster View Post
Here are a couple more pics. First one is of the lowered crossmember from a little further away, so you can get the bigger picture. You can still see the nut on top of the motor mount. Second photo is of the old motor mount, you can see that it was almost sheared in half. I checked my records, turns out I replaced them at 90K, probably about 30K later than I should have .



Thanks again! By looking at your and other members' pics it looks like all of them are failing in the same spot! I'm at almost 96k miles so it's time to replace them Did you get original Lexus parts or aftermarket?
krispl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 06:46 PM
  #36  
lyonkster
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ca
Posts: 523
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by krispl View Post
Did you get original Lexus parts or aftermarket?
I went with OEM, although given how poorly the originals performed, maybe there is a better aftermarket alternative, I don't know.
lyonkster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 06:52 PM
  #37  
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (182)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: tenn
Posts: 17,133
Thanked 46 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lyonkster View Post
I went with OEM, although given how poorly the originals performed, maybe there is a better aftermarket alternative, I don't know.
the problem is, there aren't any available aftermarket mounts. Megan makes some for the SC and i think the IS but last time i checked, no one made any for us
sakataj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 07:06 PM
  #38  
dl11
Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Any alternatives you can think of other than cutting off the end of the wrench? Also, did you just tighten it as hard as you can since it seems impossible to fit a torque wrench in? Looking to do it this weekend and I want to have all the tools ready before I start messing with the car.
dl11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 07:26 PM
  #39  
lyonkster
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ca
Posts: 523
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dl11 View Post
Any alternatives you can think of other than cutting off the end of the wrench? Also, did you just tighten it as hard as you can since it seems impossible to fit a torque wrench in? Looking to do it this weekend and I want to have all the tools ready before I start messing with the car.
There probably are some alternatives if you plan ahead (I was into the project when I realized that I had no other means to loosen the nut, and this seemed like the lesser of all evils ). But if you have a really long box end, or have superhuman strength, you might be able to loosen the nut with that, without having to use an extension like I did. Once you get into it you'll realize that even with the dropped crossmember, there is exceedingly little room to play with, you are constrained on all sides by the motor, suspension, steering, and body components, so there is not much swinging room at all.

As far as torquing, yeah, no way was I going to get a torque wrench on that nut, so I just gave it a good heave-ho and called it done.
lyonkster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 08:12 PM
  #40  
krispl
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA Bay Area
Posts: 218
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lyonkster View Post
There probably are some alternatives if you plan ahead (I was into the project when I realized that I had no other means to loosen the nut, and this seemed like the lesser of all evils ). But if you have a really long box end, or have superhuman strength, you might be able to loosen the nut with that, without having to use an extension like I did. Once you get into it you'll realize that even with the dropped crossmember, there is exceedingly little room to play with, you are constrained on all sides by the motor, suspension, steering, and body components, so there is not much swinging room at all.

As far as torquing, yeah, no way was I going to get a torque wrench on that nut, so I just gave it a good heave-ho and called it done.
@ lyonkster do you remember what the crossmember nuts torque is when putting them back? I'm gathering everything for this weekend and want to make sure that I have every single detail
krispl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 08:18 PM
  #41  
krispl
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA Bay Area
Posts: 218
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Btw this is what I got to handle this nut!

krispl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-10, 03:17 PM
  #42  
Jayson
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 691
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I was quoted $749.96 by Lexus of Austin this week to replace both the engine and tranny mounts on my 2003 GS430 w/118k miles, which seemed kind of pricey. I trust my service writer as I have used him for years now, but how does this sound to you all?

Thanks!
Jayson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-10, 10:16 PM
  #43  
krispl
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA Bay Area
Posts: 218
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Sounds about right if it includes parts, which alone are nearly $300.
krispl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 12:44 PM
  #44  
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (182)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: tenn
Posts: 17,133
Thanked 46 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by krispl View Post
Sounds about right if it includes parts, which alone are nearly $300.
i would assume that was without the parts, it is the stealership btw guys....
sakataj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-10, 03:03 PM
  #45  
lyonkster
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ca
Posts: 523
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by krispl View Post
@ lyonkster do you remember what the crossmember nuts torque is when putting them back? I'm gathering everything for this weekend and want to make sure that I have every single detail
I was never able to find a clear answer to that, as I do not know what Lexus calls the "crossmember" - I couldn't find any reference to a crossmember in the shop manual. I think I settled for something like 100 ft-lbs.

So were you able to get this done last weekend???
lyonkster is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 gs430 motor mount replacement attempt


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: