ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   01 gs430 motor mount replacement attempt (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/522084-01-gs430-motor-mount-replacement-attempt.html)

krispl 08-29-10 08:40 PM

01 gs430 motor mount replacement attempt

So I ordered new mounts for my gs and i had everything ready to go this weekend. After couple of hours under my car I could NOT get the damn nut of on either mount. I'm talking about the top nut that's above the small heat shield. Not only there isn't enough room there but I got a set of 'bent' wrenches with which I was able to get a nice grip on it but it still wouldn't crack.

Kudos to all members that were able to get it off. I gave up after a few hours. I will be mailing my new mounts back to RockAuto.com where I get them from:(.

sakataj 08-30-10 01:40 PM

wait wait wait....i may buy
how much did you pay for them? engine AND tranny mounts?

btw, why not use a air impact wrench? like a small hand one?

krispl 08-30-10 05:59 PM

It's too tight in there to use any type of impact gun. I could barely fit a box end wrench in there but couldn't get enough of leverage to break that nut. I didn't want to strip it either. I might take another attempt this weekend after spraying bunch of 'PB Blaster' on it first and letting it sit for a few hours. I tried WD40 and it wouldn't do ****. I paid $150 for them, they are by MTC.

Frankdorn 08-30-10 06:35 PM

I would soak those puppies for a couple days in PB Blaster...they'll come off. If anything, get a nearby shop to crack 'em loose and hand-tighten so you can get home.

sakataj 08-30-10 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by krispl (Post 5752705)
It's too tight in there to use any type of impact gun. I could barely fit a box end wrench in there but couldn't get enough of leverage to break that nut. I didn't want to strip it either. I might take another attempt this weekend after spraying bunch of 'PB Blaster' on it first and letting it sit for a few hours. I tried WD40 and it wouldn't do ****. I paid $150 for them, they are by MTC.

well, if u decide to sell them holler at me and again are they both engine mounts L & R AND the tranny mounts?

krispl 08-30-10 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Frankdorn (Post 5752805)
I would soak those puppies for a couple days in PB Blaster...they'll come off. If anything, get a nearby shop to crack 'em loose and hand-tighten so you can get home.

I will give it one more shot this coming weekend with the PB Blaster soaking. I hope it will work, otherwise this will be my first project to cancel, which I hate to do since I already have the mounts here.

krispl 08-30-10 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by sakataj (Post 5753184)
well, if u decide to sell them holler at me and again are they both engine mounts L & R AND the tranny mounts?

I have both front mounts. I haven't got the tranny mount yet. I will keep you posted if I fail again to get the nuts off over the weekend;)

sakataj 08-31-10 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by krispl (Post 5753426)
I have both front mounts. I haven't got the tranny mount yet. I will keep you posted if I fail again to get the nuts off over the weekend;)

lol ok,good luck OP.....also just a heads up for anyone doing this job. IF your gonna do the mounts, do the tranny mount while your in there, it just makes sense so you dont have to come back and do this

harman 09-07-10 11:31 PM

OP have you done the mounts yet. i am curoius to know how the job went because am thinking i might need engine mounts. The car did this weird shake today when slowing down from 3rd to 2nd it felt like the engine shook and the idle dipped below normal for a while.

JiBBeL 09-08-10 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by harman (Post 5772352)
OP have you done the mounts yet. i am curoius to know how the job went because am thinking i might need engine mounts. The car did this weird shake today when slowing down from 3rd to 2nd it felt like the engine shook and the idle dipped below normal for a while.

That ain't your engine mount then. Look at the tune-up/maintenance items to fix the low idle.
  • Clean the MAF
  • Clean the throttle body
  • Replace the IACV valve
  • Spark plugs getting old?

If your engine mounts are bad, you can do this. Get the car up to operating temp, and then leave it in D, but turn off the AC. RPM's will be pretty low anyway ~ 400-500. If the car is vibrating, you need new engine mounts. But when you're talking about the idle dipping down and feeling a shudder from 3-2 gear... that's something else, dude.

harman 09-08-10 03:11 PM

* Clean the MAF -- Done
* Clean the throttle body -- Done
* Spark plugs getting old? -- Done
* Replace the IACV valve -- Thanks for pointing it out to me- Just did a search on this and will look into taking it out and cleaning it out- otherwise i will wait untill it goes completely bad before i buy a new one .

As for the mounts i am pretty sure these are going bad. i do feel a vibration at idle and in D. i also felt the engine kick when downshifting though so this makes me suspect the mounts.

krispl 09-08-10 05:06 PM

I made my last attempt on this past Sat and no f... luck! I sprayed it with PB Blaster the night before so it could soak in over night but it didn't seem to make any difference. Still couldnt make that top mount nut loose!
Do you people have any other ideas on how to get these mounts out? I'm already burnt out and ready to mail these babies back to RockAuto.
I also tried getting the entire motor mount bracket off (the one that is mounted to engine block with four bolts but one of these bolts is barerly accessible as well and I didn't want to strip it.

Good luck to all of you guys with this project!

JiBBeL 09-09-10 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by krispl (Post 5774314)
I made my last attempt on this past Sat and no f... luck! I sprayed it with PB Blaster the night before so it could soak in over night but it didn't seem to make any difference. Still couldnt make that top mount nut loose!
Do you people have any other ideas on how to get these mounts out? I'm already burnt out and ready to mail these babies back to RockAuto.
I also tried getting the entire motor mount bracket off (the one that is mounted to engine block with four bolts but one of these bolts is barerly accessible as well and I didn't want to strip it.

Good luck to all of you guys with this project!

I haven't tackled this job, so I gots no idea how much space you're working with. But when a bolt is stuck, I usually try to go brains over brawn. Any chance you can fit a thin pipe over the end of your box wrench? Even 8 inches of pipe slipped over the end of a wrench should extend it far enough to get alot of extra torque on it.

jjbenzo 09-09-10 09:30 AM

Why don't you just take the car to your dealer?

krispl 09-09-10 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by jjbenzo (Post 5776055)
Why don't you just take the car to your dealer?

No thanks. I don't go to stealership. They would probably charge me like $400 just for the labour.

I bought some more creative tools last night and I will try again this weekend. I'm stubborn like this:)