GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TTE replica lip first impressions.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 03:39 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where are these pix!!!
Old 07-26-10, 11:31 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike813
gotta pay to play... replicas are a nice alternative but with a fiberglass lip up front and positioned that low that amount of $ you pay to repair/repaint will add up to that price in 1 incident if you think about it. (road debris/parking lot floor barriers/curbs) <- will claim that fiberglass.

ive had my share of fiberglass kits back when i had my acura/hondas urethane ftw.
You know most of the body kits out there that are high quality genuine JDM are still just fiberglass right?
Old 07-27-10, 08:43 AM
cloead
Driver

pics of this mounted so i can order my replica already
Old 07-27-10, 08:53 AM
sa3reghatc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patience people damn! The car is getting painted as we speak, so fitment will have to wait.

Oh, and to the sweedish guy who knows where to get the lips, why don't you just post where to get them from instead of being all secretive? Seriously, we are all adults here.

And to the "pay to play" guy, it's not so much a price issue as it is a availability issue. These lips are no longer imported to the USA, meaning they are almost impossible to come by. And people who were fortunate to get one are not selling them.
Old 07-27-10, 04:36 PM
phillygs3

Originally Posted by LexusK
Can this replica lip be molded? I wanted to eventually get a TTE lip but I wouldnt mold it just because its too expensive to mess up. However, for $170, I wouldnt mind messing up a replica lol.
Mine has been threw hell and back and still strong as the day it was installed, If mine was fiberglass It would have been long gone. I pays to get the real thing
Old 07-27-10, 05:06 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^understood, I have a replica but don't ride slammed like you do. It just didn't make fiscal sense for me to pay $375-$400+ for a used lip from someone. I get what you are saying, I just think it depends on application. But I think all in all the replica is a win for everyone. Those who still feel they need the original should be able to get them for a more reasonable price now and those who want the look and are willing to be careful can get the replica. In the end, it's just a lip on 6-9k car, it isn't that serious.
Old 07-27-10, 06:10 PM
hurricane
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by phillygs3
Mine has been threw hell and back and still strong as the day it was installed, If mine was fiberglass It would have been long gone. I pays to get the real thing
+1 why i wanted a poly front lip so bad.. figerglass up front is no good
Old 07-27-10, 06:52 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
You know most of the body kits out there that are high quality genuine JDM are still just fiberglass right?
yes im aware of it, ive purchased many ebay kits back at my time before finally going strictly poly only... most genuine companies that still use fiberglass for kits use high quality resins if they are authentic which brings the strength very similar to wood most ebay sellers do not. even the name brand resins they are strong enough to sustain rock chips and hits but not enough flex to hold if a pull from a driveway barrier or big debris was to hit the bumper/lip.

it also depends on your state as well, i live in nyc prone to potholes, garbage on the road and all the deep dips/pitch roads and driveway problems fiberglass strength is just is not good enough here. maybe if you live in a well maintained area or you drive the car only for shows fiberglass would be a perfect alternative. I did not write "pay to play" to talk down on anyone its just something i know from experience the op might regret later down the line when youre coughing up 150-200$ a pop for each fix every time an incident happens.
Old 07-27-10, 07:04 PM
sa3reghatc
Rookie

I dent mean to say that you are talking down on someone, I just said that I can afford a real deal tte lip, it's just impossibleto get one right now. Whenever one comes up for sale, the seller will not ship and there are like 10 people fighting over it.
Old 07-28-10, 08:35 AM
bigjussin
Pole Position

i dont get why any of these body kit companies can't make one in urethane...it's way less material then a greddy lip which is too bulky anyway
Old 07-28-10, 10:41 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjussin
i dont get why any of these body kit companies can't make one in urethane...it's way less material then a greddy lip which is too bulky anyway

Because urethane cost a lot more money than fiberglass. I've used both for projects and urethane cost 5x more.
Old 07-28-10, 11:00 AM
importhope
Lead Lap

The benefit of the legit TTE lip, is material and fitment. Fits like a glove, and you can scrap it and hit some nasty stuff on the road and it doesnt crack or explode into pieces... knock offs are cheaper for a reason.
Old 07-28-10, 05:15 PM
sa3reghatc
Rookie

Aight guys, lets please not turn my thread into a authentic vs replica thread. If authentic TTE lips were still imported to the states, I would have one. But since they are not, I got a replica. I have air suspension and when I drive, my car sits pretty high. I only dump it when im parked. The roads here in my town in Texas are not bad at all. Will I eventually **** up my lip, probably, but hey its just a car part so I can live with that. Hopefully later down the line TTE will start exporting their products back to the states, or more and more people will sell their used lips for the next body mod fad. Hell or even a urethane replica lip will be mass produced.
Old 07-28-10, 06:38 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sa3reghatc
Aight guys, lets please not turn my thread into a authentic vs replica thread. If authentic TTE lips were still imported to the states, I would have one. But since they are not, I got a replica. I have air suspension and when I drive, my car sits pretty high. I only dump it when im parked. The roads here in my town in Texas are not bad at all. Will I eventually **** up my lip, probably, but hey its just a car part so I can live with that. Hopefully later down the line TTE will start exporting their products back to the states, or more and more people will sell their used lips for the next body mod fad. Hell or even a urethane replica lip will be mass produced.
Well said...now about those pix.......j/k
Old 07-28-10, 10:37 PM
sa3reghatc
Rookie

Originally Posted by fenderzig
Well said...now about those pix.......j/k
Lol, patience my friend! Car will be out the paint shop on Saturday and I will mount the lip along with the JP spoiler.

Quick Reply: TTE replica lip first impressions.....