GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Are stock radios interchangeable regardless of yr?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 07:21 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im surprised it works too, I had my doubts. Two Lex dealers near me said it wouldn't so I took a huge gamble. But it does and I'm happy cause the seller listed the item as "no returns."
Otherwise I know the ML system pretty well. I looked into it and it's an impossible upgrade to complete because not only do you have to rewire the entire harness with the ML amp (which is about $1200) ripping out the seats/carpet to do it, but you need the ML speakers/sub (about $150 each) which there are more of and are actually placed/turned completely differently in the car. If you can't replicate this placement you actually wind up with a horribly tuned interior that sounds worse than original pioneer.
Just thought I'd add some knowledge I picked up somewhere along the line!
Old 09-15-10, 07:34 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RACEFORGT
Im surprised it works too, I had my doubts. Two Lex dealers near me said it wouldn't so I took a huge gamble. But it does and I'm happy cause the seller listed the item as "no returns."
Otherwise I know the ML system pretty well. I looked into it and it's an impossible upgrade to complete because not only do you have to rewire the entire harness with the ML amp (which is about $1200) ripping out the seats/carpet to do it, but you need the ML speakers/sub (about $150 each) which there are more of and are actually placed/turned completely differently in the car. If you can't replicate this placement you actually wind up with a horribly tuned interior that sounds worse than original pioneer.
Just thought I'd add some knowledge I picked up somewhere along the line!
got pics of BOTH radios with the plugs showing them side by side or im calling shenanigans lol
Old 09-15-10, 07:55 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

aw come on sakataj you gonna make me do work.. my ML is already installed and bolted in my car. i will try to have pics up next couple days if i have time to take out the ML again
Old 09-24-10, 03:13 PM
jkgs300
Driver School Candidate

98-00 GS300/400 are not compatible with 01-05 Gs300/430 head units
Old 10-12-10, 03:52 PM
SixEye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raceforgt
I received my ML headunit from fleabay today.. this is confirmation **ML and Pioneer headunits for 01-05 ARE in fact interchangeable!**
The double-din plugs match and the whole unit plugs n plays! And, maybe I'm hearing things but I swear the sound output is much improved over my old Pioneer.

Happy camper here knowing my money was well spent and hope I answer somebody's question with this upgrade!

OK, forgive me but I just wanted to confirm. You had a Pioneer Premium System with a Pioneer amp and CD changer and you just replaced it with an ML headunit? I think I will be doing the same since my LCD is going berserk.
Old 10-13-10, 07:28 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

Originally Posted by SixEye
OK, forgive me but I just wanted to confirm. You had a Pioneer Premium System with a Pioneer amp and CD changer and you just replaced it with an ML headunit? I think I will be doing the same since my LCD is going berserk.
That's right SixEye. Original Pioneer premium system, all factory no nav and no ML parts. Had the LCD go out and found only an ML radio on ebay that was in "new" condition. Two Lex dealers told me the ML would not work if installed in the Pioneer system. So I took a gamble and by looking at the back plugs I decided I would try anyway. The plugs were perfect, I hooked it up and it worked 110%. Not 100, 110 because I swear the sound is much better than before with the Pioneer.
Hope this helps.

...by the way for all 98-00 GS owners, the plugs are completely different. Plug and play will NOT work and you may need to mod/splice wires, where I can't help you.
Old 10-13-10, 08:01 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I was talking about Nakamichi and ML aren't interchangeable. I never said Pioneer and ML weren't.

The Pioneer and your ML look the exact same.
Old 10-14-10, 08:34 AM
NYGS3ANDY
Sto_fever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the stock radio with a system. Mine had wood trim on it so i did not want to change it. You can buy something called a hi low adapter. U run it from your factory amp to an aftermarket amp.
http://www.installer.com/hilo/
Old 10-14-10, 02:26 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
I was talking about Nakamichi and ML aren't interchangeable. I never said Pioneer and ML weren't.

The Pioneer and your ML look the exact same.
Right, they're not. Going back to the fact that 98-00 and 01-05 GS radios are not interchangeable, Nakamichi was used in 98-00 GSs and ML in 01-05. I think for each generation though, the upgraded radio (Nak or ML) was basically the Pioneer with a very minor internal modification for better sound. That's probably why the wiring is all exactly the same and they plug and play directly.
Old 11-01-10, 11:47 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

So, that said, think I could use the LCD out of the Nak to repair my Pioneer?
Old 11-02-10, 05:25 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So if I'm following this thread correctly, those with a '98-'00 GSXXX with the oem Pioneer system(s) cannot interchange with anything else?

Since ML was only introduced in '01+ (and all ML's are interchangable with all Pioneers IN THOSE YEARS), then the '98-'00 GSXXX owners are SOL without an interchangable upgrade; am I understanding this correctly? If so, sucks for me...lol
Old 11-02-10, 06:03 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

Correct. The 98-00 GSX00 radios are single DIN and the 01-05s are double DIN. Completely different sets of wiring and plugs going into each. So the old Pioneers are interchangeable with the Nakamichis and the new Pioneers with the Mark Lev.

Take out your radio. If the plugs in the back look like this, you have an 01-05 double DIN version. If you're missing an entire white plug you have a 98-00 version. If the plugs match, be it Pioneer, Nak or Mark Lev the radio will work. That simple.
Attached Thumbnails Are stock radios interchangeable regardless of yr?-lexustapegs3002001markplgs.jpg  

Last edited by raceforgt; 11-02-10 at 06:31 AM. Reason: to include picture
Old 02-16-11, 09:56 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Cool Radio

Actually, you can use a Pioneer 01-05 GS radio in a 98-00 GS. You would just have to rewire the plugs via adapters. It's really not that hard to do, if you really wanted to do it. It just takes a little time and knoledge. i have done this for people before. A couple of diferences are that the 01 uses a digital volume control, has the RDS, Traf and TYPE features, which display trafic infor, as well as station and cd info. Note that using burned cd's will not display any info about the artists, or music in the cd, but will work fine. Bootleg DVD's will not show any info either if you have a DVD system running through the radio either. Another diference is that the CD changer is wired through the speakers in the 01, so that will be part of the rewirring process. It goes from the 2 stock plugs in the car, to 1 plug in the radio. I am about to do this for someone that wants to install an 01 radio into their 98 GS. This is my 99 with an 01 Pioneer adapted.

Rock
Attached Thumbnails Are stock radios interchangeable regardless of yr?-30728361362_orig.jpeg  
Old 02-16-11, 10:26 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default Wiring

Here's the wiring I did, to make everything work great!

Thanks,
Rock
Attached Thumbnails Are stock radios interchangeable regardless of yr?-img_0914.jpg  
Old 02-18-11, 11:38 PM
truenoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rockero28
Here's the wiring I did, to make everything work great!

Thanks,
Rock
This may be the same route I have to go, but I have a couple of questions for you.

1) What do you mean the CD changer is wired throught the speaker? Is that apart of your wiring picture above?
2) Did you simply just use factory plugs? The 2 plugs from the 98-00 and 1 plug from the 01+.
3) Any reason why the second plug in the back of the radio is not used? I would image that it is needed for something important.

Quick Reply: Are stock radios interchangeable regardless of yr?