GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Well, I Failed....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 11:10 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Well, I Failed....

haha. just another project i was working on while i have been doing my interior. along time ago there was a member on here named Javier whom i thought was my friend. we talked daily and after getting to know each other, i found out his parents owned a prosthetic company and he was starting to do some CF work so i talked to him about doing the inners on the headlights i was starting to retro.

this is where it started....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...8-cf-tach.html

so after he ran off with my inners, i decided i wanted to do this myself so i bought a CF skinning kit when we were talking bout this awhile ago

old post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-wrapping.html

the kit

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products...CMCFSK300.aspx

well after having the kit in my room for bout 2 months, i FINALLY started working on this. well needless to say this was my first and probably last time to try and work with CF (i have done some fiberglass laying work but not much)

i am gonna contact a few vendors/sources and see if someone can/will do the inners with REAL CF if not i guess i will end up doing them with the fake 3m stuff or something similar to that

anyways....here's my fail pics (no these werent even trimmed they could easily be cleaned up some but IMHO still wouldnt be very good)

BTW guys did u know the chrome on the inside of the bezel scrapes off to a clear bezel? be kinda cool to do a clear inner with some kind of lighting underneath it or something....who knows

Old 04-19-10, 11:18 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

that's alrite.. looks hella tough to do
Old 04-19-10, 11:57 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

woaser.. looks like its hard to do.
Old 04-19-10, 11:59 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Be the first to rock clear housings with some kind of fiber optic lighting.
Old 04-20-10, 12:00 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

no shame in a DIY man! gotta give you props for the effort and creativity, despite the result.
Old 04-20-10, 12:01 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

give you props for trying brian!!
Old 04-20-10, 12:08 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jadu
that's alrite.. looks hella tough to do
yeah it sucked, although had i been better with fiberglass resin or more familiar with CF skinning i could probably have done this

Originally Posted by rgarjr
woaser.. looks like its hard to do.
.....probably easy for a body shop guy but i suck at this so the results show it lol (thats the ONE thing i never have done is body work, i wish i could do it though)

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Be the first to rock clear housings with some kind of fiber optic lighting.
see, thats kinda what i was leaning towards with those pics. i think it would be interesting to do to say the least. well discuss this option with tony (aka luxurymods) as they gonna be doing the retro itself.

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
no shame in a DIY man! gotta give you props for the effort and creativity, despite the result.
yeah, i have been VERY hands on with this car. i have had 90% of the interior striped out over the course of the last year doing some sorta project. thanks btw

Originally Posted by PHML
give you props for trying brian!!
thanks pete....i havent given up on this idea just yet,maybe this project, just is not for me to do. I really wanna do a REAL CF inner and not the stick on....im gonna contact tony and see if he can do this and if not, you got any vendors from here u recommend pete or you think can pull this off?

Last edited by sakataj; 04-20-10 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 04:51 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Dude seriously props for trying I personally think that would look sweet if executed.

That beign said I think you picked a complicated piece to start trying CF work on. Maybe if you started with a simpler part and worked your way up to those.

idk, funny though that video they have on youtube makes it look so simple.
Old 04-20-10, 05:10 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I missed that original thread and yeah it's messed up how that other member screwed you over.

I agree with the comments posted thus far. Depending on the DIY project, I agree that some of them takes ***** to do and your project seems like it was one of them. I don't have it in me to put my headlights in the oven but then again I don't have a need to yet. Props to you for also posting this up despite the end results not being to your liking. You still have the audio build right so hopefully that turns out better for you. Sorry to hear about the theft and now this project.
Old 04-20-10, 05:11 AM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

at least u tried tho man
Old 04-20-10, 07:12 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea at least you tried. I maybe try again? This time you will know what not to do. I say don't give up.
Old 04-20-10, 07:33 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahah damn i didnt even recognize it in the after pic.

but hey at least you tried to fix it
Old 04-20-10, 10:30 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like something hard to do without screwing up. Would be interesting to see the after results, if done right.

I like the title BTW....

Old 04-20-10, 10:43 AM
TopRamen
Pole Position

man... i read your links... javier's an @sshole.

what a freakin' *****.
Old 04-20-10, 10:51 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97JZA80
Dude seriously props for trying I personally think that would look sweet if executed.

That beign said I think you picked a complicated piece to start trying CF work on. Maybe if you started with a simpler part and worked your way up to those.

idk, funny though that video they have on youtube makes it look so simple.
thanks. so do i thats why i keep trying it. oh i thought it was gonna be simple to....i was like yeah i'll try some spray adhesion to tack it down before i put the resin on. yeah it def wasnt easy. the CF threads move around alot.

yeah their video looks simple. im sure for them, it is

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I missed that original thread and yeah it's messed up how that other member screwed you over.

I agree with the comments posted thus far. Depending on the DIY project, I agree that some of them takes ***** to do and your project seems like it was one of them. I don't have it in me to put my headlights in the oven but then again I don't have a need to yet. Props to you for also posting this up despite the end results not being to your liking. You still have the audio build right so hopefully that turns out better for you. Sorry to hear about the theft and now this project.
its all good. im not sweating him. i bought a couple spare sets of headlights back in the day. when i started the original project i had like 4 pair of headlights. some people are wheel *****s, i was a headlight *****. i will be buying some more spare bezels this week to start over again/. yeah audio build is fully progressing....paid for alternator today. car goes into the shop wed till who knows when. im STILL waiting on my battery case (crappy company i bought it from, i haven't been able to reach. so i might just reorder one. im looking forward to wrapping up some of my 8 million on going projects.

Originally Posted by UpstateLex
at least u tried tho man
yeah, im not done just yet.

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Yea at least you tried. I maybe try again? This time you will know what not to do. I say don't give up.
i will. i do know what not to do....i know i dont need to be doing it. hahaha

Originally Posted by muhbuhtuh
hahah damn i didnt even recognize it in the after pic.

but hey at least you tried to fix it
yeah it looks bad. actually the first pic is when i put the resin on, then the next 3 photos are when i did a little trim work on it.

Originally Posted by denut-L
Looks like something hard to do without screwing up. Would be interesting to see the after results, if done right.

I like the title BTW....

hopefully u will see them soon.hahaha that made me laugh.

Originally Posted by TopRamen
man... i read your links... javier's an @sshole.

what a freakin' *****.
again im not sweating him. ALOT of people on here have dealt with me, met me, etc. my reputation is impeccable (look at my feedback besides a vendor on here not many, actually only one guy i have seen has a higher rating than me)....anyone on here can vouch for me that has done business with me....as for him, he's banned from here so its we to me. dont wanna turn this into a bash on him.....he did what he did for whatever reason he choose. it was along time ago and IMHO he screwed himself by doing this

Last edited by sakataj; 04-20-10 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Well, I Failed....