GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

automatic manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 05:56 PM
01GS430
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default automatic manual

hey,

I dont know if it is really safe to downshift on normal basis. What going to happen to tranny if i continue to do this.

Last edited by 01GS430; 03-30-10 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 06:23 PM
bmackinnon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Double the wear on the clutches.... why in the world would you want to be doing this as a matter of habit???
Old 03-30-10, 07:31 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

Definitely not a good idea. I wouldn't worry so much about the clutch as I would the gears, misc. small things in the transmission, the axles, and the rear diff. These cars do not "blip on downshift" as a real semi-auto transmission does, and you obviously cant put in the clutch pedal to blip I believe that the paddles were more of a marketing device, but I do admit that in a drag race I would use the paddles because the shift is a bit firmer.
Old 03-30-10, 08:15 PM
01GS430
Rookie

I only have been upshifting and didnt do any downshifting. I thought about forum so i asked here to be safe before trying to do on my lexus. Normally, i stop and shift to lowest gear and drive and upshift.
Old 03-30-10, 08:21 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It's fine. I do it all the time. Also, yes you can blip the throttle on downshifts. The car takes about 1-2 sec or so to downshift, so tap the throttle quickly before the downshift initiates. I'll get a video of this when I get a chance.
Old 03-30-10, 08:49 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

I've been doing this for over two years with no problem. K.O.W
Old 03-30-10, 09:21 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
It's fine. I do it all the time. Also, yes you can blip the throttle on downshifts. The car takes about 1-2 sec or so to downshift, so tap the throttle quickly before the downshift initiates. I'll get a video of this when I get a chance.
jeff is right... as usual haha
on a personal note today i was driving and pulled up next to a friend bumped the shifter into neutral and floored it to rev the engine. the gear didnt disengage prior to my lead foot getting let loose and i ended up with this embarrassing lurch forwards before the car went into neutral
Old 03-31-10, 10:00 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS300-2002
jeff is right... as usual haha
on a personal note today i was driving and pulled up next to a friend bumped the shifter into neutral and floored it to rev the engine. the gear didnt disengage prior to my lead foot getting let loose and i ended up with this embarrassing lurch forwards before the car went into neutral
Wow, that is embarrassing, and good thing no one was in front of you. That would have really made your day.
Old 03-31-10, 01:29 PM
01GS430
Rookie

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Oh okay, I dont have the e shift which it would be useful. I mean the shifter on the console. Is it okay to do same thing?
Old 03-31-10, 02:34 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

hmmm...I have been doing this since DAY 1 (last 7 years) to more effectively slow down using both downshifting and braking; less wear and tear on brakes. I hope this doesn't hurt anything.
Old 04-10-10, 01:57 AM
bmackinnon
Driver School Candidate

Alot cheaper to replace brake pads than the clutches in the trans... and earlier poster, the gears in an auto are constant mesh/always engaged... they don't 'change'.... different clutches apply to engage the already meshed gears... only additional wear downshifting the trans would be to the clutches... (well, backloading the gears, but that is insignificant)... Manual upshifting (basically) affects nothing, manual downshifting (without a perfect blip) doubles the wear on the clutches.... just sayin'... I think Jeff will agree??
Old 04-12-10, 06:04 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bmackinnon
Alot cheaper to replace brake pads than the clutches in the trans... and earlier poster, the gears in an auto are constant mesh/always engaged... they don't 'change'.... different clutches apply to engage the already meshed gears... only additional wear downshifting the trans would be to the clutches... (well, backloading the gears, but that is insignificant)... Manual upshifting (basically) affects nothing, manual downshifting (without a perfect blip) doubles the wear on the clutches.... just sayin'... I think Jeff will agree??

What does it feel like when the clutches wear in an auto transmission? For all I know mine are shot to $ hit! lol
Old 04-12-10, 05:13 PM
bmackinnon
Driver School Candidate

at some point, they will simply start to slip.... or chatter during engagement (at the shift)... just like a manual trans with smoked clutch feels... I think these transmission have a good reputation for longevity, but manually downshifting each gear everytime you slow down is just not something I'd be comfortable doing.... it would feel like unecessary abuse to me... not that it really is.... more like unecessary wear... brake pads are cheap and engineered as a serviceable/replaceable part.... clutch packs are not...
Old 04-13-10, 05:43 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bmackinnon
at some point, they will simply start to slip.... or chatter during engagement (at the shift)... just like a manual trans with smoked clutch feels... I think these transmission have a good reputation for longevity, but manually downshifting each gear everytime you slow down is just not something I'd be comfortable doing.... it would feel like unecessary abuse to me... not that it really is.... more like unecessary wear... brake pads are cheap and engineered as a serviceable/replaceable part.... clutch packs are not...
I got a quick question though...all you say makes sense but are you talking about manually shifting through the shifter? Or with the E-shift? There are probably more 2nd generation GS's on the road WITHOUT E-shift. Does the E-shift make it OK to use when downshifting perhaps? If I didn't have E-shift I would NEVER look to constantly move the shifter around from L to 2-3, to 4 or D; I CAN see this ruining the tranny over time. I would just always leave it in D if this was the case.

Not sure which model you have but only '98-'00 GS400's AND only '01-'05 GS300's came with E-shift. So that is roughly half the cars (or less) made from '98 - '05 with the E-shift.
Old 04-13-10, 09:34 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

reason why i bought a GS400 instead of a GS430... the e-shifter haha.

n also the supercharger being direct bolt on a GS4

Quick Reply: automatic manual