GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

So I finally went to check the cause of the wobble on the car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 06:10 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Angry So I finally went to check the cause of the wobble on the car...

And found this

All because caltrans doesnt want to maintain their roads! I'm CERTAIN that they have gotten calls about this pot hole by MANY! Its between 6"-1' deep! Yes THAT deep! and yes I'm pissed!!! (reason for all my exclamation points) but not just the depth is the problem, its about 25" wide by a good 3ft long, kinda hard to be accurate with size when you're going 70mph on the damn freeway! The worse thing is, is that I saw it on my way up to Modesto! it was 8am so no traffic and I was able to avoid it... Well later that day my buddy and mine went to Turlock, well on the way back I said to myself, "stay out of the middle lane" (which I did) until some jack *** cut me off! I almost hit him so I had no choice but to swerve in to the center lane (where he came from) and yea sure, just when that pot hole was there! Now you may think, "hmmm... he wasnt cutting you off, he was avoiding the hole" NOPE there was a rig in center lane (which I assume was why he cut me off, to get around it) and he couldnt have seen it coming... The story is not in detail, so no way to explain what really happened. I'm not a panicky driver, my swerve had precedence, just horrible luck!

anyways, that pic is of the rear wheel, the front one is actually kinda worse, the bend is a good foot long, but not as open as this one. This one (the rear) is actually losing air. I just cant stress how pissed I am! as you man notice, tire is bald... well that happened in just a month! I just got an alignment, and me thinking everything is ok... but NOOOOOooo <-- said with sarcastic sound. I've had these tires for less than a year and are practically new! Still have like around 75%+ tread left, so yea. Add insult to injury huh...

oh yea, did I mention its been 2 weeks since I went up there and according to my bud, it STILL hasnt been fixed! WTF?!

I will be taking this up with cal trans and will be making them pay... I'll keep the update.

BTW, anyone have a clue how much it costs to fix this sh-it?
Old 02-12-10, 06:25 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

damn, i swear the roads are so much more ****ed up after the rains
Old 02-12-10, 06:29 PM
DarrellGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get sad when I see bent rims
Old 02-12-10, 06:44 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

That hurts.. Time for stockies when weather conditions are bad
Old 02-12-10, 06:48 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I have a set of 20's and stocks (these are 22's btw), but with this botched alignment job, i'd have to ride with my bags fully inflated and hope they dont get worn out
Old 02-12-10, 08:24 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bent my wheel...not as extreme as that, but close. Cost me 100 to fix it and it's as good as new, so all is not lost if you can find a decent place to repair it.
Old 02-12-10, 08:30 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That sucks, hope you can get it fixed easily.

Originally Posted by McKrevice
I bent my wheel...not as extreme as that, but close. Cost me 100 to fix it and it's as good as new, so all is not lost if you can find a decent place to repair it.
IIRC you're in MN, right? If you had them done locally would you mind posting the shop? I hope I won't need it but if I ever did it would be nice to know a local place that would do a good job.
Old 02-12-10, 09:16 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by McKrevice
Really, 100 bucks isnt too bad, well gotta do 2 rims but still not bad, hopefully I can get that deal. One thing I know is that labor in Cali is MUCH more than the mid states, at least for mechanics. Hopefully it doesnt apply to repairs

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
That sucks, hope you can get it fixed easily.
Thanks, me too.
Old 02-12-10, 09:32 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Yeah, my car was shaking a little at high way speeds so I got it checked out and had the same problem. Kind of sucks since I just had my rim repaired this summer for $90
Old 02-12-10, 09:51 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusben
Yeah, my car was shaking a little at high way speeds so I got it checked out and had the same problem. Kind of sucks since I just had my rim repaired this summer for $90
ewe, that sucks... right after fixin it

whats weird is that I only get wobble at 50mph and 30mph other than that its fine.
Old 02-12-10, 11:50 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Yeah mine seemed to shake most around 55 MPH, but it is still shaky whenever I hit high way speeds.
Old 02-13-10, 12:53 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusben
Yeah mine seemed to shake most around 55 MPH, but it is still shaky whenever I hit high way speeds.
Imma see what happens tomorrow... One of my rims from the 20" set got a HUGE dent/crack/chunk broke off... and well my buddies tire shop was able to balance it to like 99% no vibrations just an ever so slight wiggle, but you really have to look for it. However these bends are pretty bad in comparison. I'm gonna talk to a shop tomorrow about getting them fixed.
Old 02-13-10, 01:00 AM
ItsChris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your better off, just fixing it yourself instead of trying to get money from cal trans, cali is so broke lol.

Sucks man, at least the rim isnt torn or ripped, that would have REALLY sucked.
Old 02-13-10, 01:23 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItsChris
your better off, just fixing it yourself instead of trying to get money from cal trans, cali is so broke lol.

Sucks man, at least the rim isnt torn or ripped, that would have REALLY sucked.
I tried taking a rubber mallet first (of course nothing) then took a hammer to it and still nothing! That shtuff is TOUGH! LoL
Old 02-13-10, 06:16 AM
SirBev
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to see this man, but I'm sure that somewhere in all of this someone should be held liable for things like that because if you don't pay your taxes they come and get you but when you do pay your taxes they don't seem to fix **** properly that could have caused a blow-out and a big accident...

Quick Reply: So I finally went to check the cause of the wobble on the car...