GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 01-06-15, 02:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Steering Wheel annoying Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 10:48 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtK
Got it, Thanks you sadistic bathroom destroyer, but I mean that in a complimentary way
hahaha u dont even wanna know. so was this the squeak you were getting?

Originally Posted by aka paco
lol just bought a 03 camry SE that has the same steering wheel as my 01 GS and it makes this noise too, i thought it was the steering wheel rubbing the column, but i'll check into what you said Sakataj
yeah i was so uber annoyed, i sprayed like half a can of white lithuim grease into the vack of the steering wheel where it moved, on the steering shaft, and the bushings under the steering wheel only to find out it was this stupid bushing up to the left of my foot in that pic in post # 11
Old 02-24-10, 05:00 PM
AC430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
hahaha u dont even wanna know. so was this the squeak you were getting?

yeah i was so uber annoyed, i sprayed like half a can of white lithuim grease into the vack of the steering wheel where it moved, on the steering shaft, and the bushings under the steering wheel only to find out it was this stupid bushing up to the left of my foot in that pic in post # 11
Well it's good somebody has to do the hard work and pass it along.
Old 02-25-10, 08:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AC430
Well it's good somebody has to do the hard work and pass it along.
lol, i try to help. i mean so many people have helped me since day one (except when im trying to source parts lol, actually nsf0607 aka nigel used to call me all the time with parts) if we all share our info and work as a family we'll just be stronger for it. i love wrenching on my car just wish i had more time and $ to do. im fairly experienced with motor swaps and suspensions on my old honda's, acuras and my old lexus but i have BARELY touched anything on this motor or suspension but i promise you when i do, i will be following someone on here's DIY or post (like im fixing to do with my fuel filter)

i have met a handful of folks from on here and honestly love to talk,meet other members etc.............................ok so now im rambling. anyways l8r
Old 03-03-10, 10:45 PM
KurtK
Rookie

Thanks to Sak and Infamous ,not sure really who, but after spraying lots of white grease in bushing at base of steering wheel in the wheel well and openning up plastic cover of steering colloum( 3 phillip screws ,one on each side and one beneath and then open the plastic halves like a clam) and spraying the gears in the steering wheel .. the dreaded squeak has been destroyed. Thanks Guys!
Old 03-04-10, 09:52 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KurtK
Thanks to Sak and Infamous ,not sure really who, but after spraying lots of white grease in bushing at base of steering wheel in the wheel well and openning up plastic cover of steering colloum( 3 phillip screws ,one on each side and one beneath and then open the plastic halves like a clam) and spraying the gears in the steering wheel .. the dreaded squeak has been destroyed. Thanks Guys!
cool, good to see you fixed this. i was suprised mine was a stupid bushing lol.
Old 04-17-10, 06:46 PM
pagliuca
Driver School Candidate

You have got to be kidding me. I have been dealing with that noise for 7 years. Just went to my garage and sprayed the joint with WD40 and the noise is gone.
Old 04-18-10, 03:28 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagliuca
You have got to be kidding me. I have been dealing with that noise for 7 years. Just went to my garage and sprayed the joint with WD40 and the noise is gone.
dont use WD40....u shoulda used white lithium grease. wd40 can eat those bushings up....good u fixed it though (took you long enough, i couldnt stomach it for a week yet alone 7 years)
Old 05-12-10, 01:45 AM
dr1ft2vip
Rookie

lmao...killing mouse? so funny.
Old 09-04-11, 04:50 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

ok, i finally remembered. is this what your squeak sounds like? if so, i know what your fix is....

Brian... I got the same problem after storing my car for months. So you think it's the steering linkage from the floor not the steering column?
Old 09-05-11, 10:40 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

bumpage....
Old 09-05-11, 01:41 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Brian... I got the same problem after storing my car for months. So you think it's the steering linkage from the floor not the steering column?
did u even bother to try and add some grease their to see if this fixed your issue?

it indeed fixed mine.....
Old 09-05-11, 01:46 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

did u even bother to try and add some grease their to see if this fixed your issue?

it indeed fixed mine.....
Will do. Just asking Brian. Was hoping it was not the steering wheel itself.
Old 11-02-11, 06:29 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah dont do like me....i thought i checked everything and figured it was the steering wheel after i thought i looked. blah....removed steering wheel

if u look closely at pic u will notice i ripped my SRS plug off, had to splice it open and re-solder it (good as new now)

anyways it turned out to be the linkage coming into the car, there is a bushing on the floor. spray or rub some white lithuim grease on it and it will go away. mine hasnt been back since
Hard to get grease in there, will have to remove the screw and cover. Will try that next.

Secondly, I don't know if it helps but there is a joint/connection about 6 inches off the ground, I put some grease there too.
Old 11-02-11, 11:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Will do. Just asking Brian. Was hoping it was not the steering wheel itself.
no john, as i said greasing the one on the bottom fixed the issue for most of us (or atleast the ones who reported back to this thread)

Originally Posted by airahcaz
Hard to get grease in there, will have to remove the screw and cover. Will try that next.

Secondly, I don't know if it helps but there is a joint/connection about 6 inches off the ground, I put some grease there too.
glad you didnt really read this thread....

greasing the steering wheel actually didnt require removing anything but the plastic cover on the side and i didnt have to do that but either way greasing here,didnt even help.

the joint/connection as you say, is where 99% of the squeaks were coming from (for the users that had this issue) i even said that in that in the picture that you quoted this exact sentence

anyways it turned out to be the linkage coming into the car, there is a bushing on the floor. spray or rub some white lithuim grease on it and it will go away. mine hasnt been back since
Old 11-02-11, 12:02 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't referring to the steering wheel atop at all.

There is a cover on the floor held be a nut that needs to be removed if greasing, and then 6 inches above the floor is a linkage, which I did grease already.

I'd need to find the time to carefully remove the cover on the floor and take a look.

Glad you know how to answer without sarcasm each and every time, but yet your responses are useful, so tolerable.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel annoying Squeaking